Trinidad - Our Experience with tour/beach/and on our own

vickie_bernie

We visited Trinidad on Jan 22 and Feb 5 while sailing on a back to back on the Grand Princess

In Trinidad we did a private tour that we arranged ahead of time. We booked it with Island Experience and thru Gunta... she is a great lady and the tour was GREAT, she was there promptly and got a bus for all 18 of us and we toured from 9 am to 2:30. (she did have some trouble getting a bus - as all the buses are arranged thru the port and she had to book it ahead of time and pay ahead of time to the port, when we arrived the bus wasn't there but we waited maybe 10 minutes and it arrived - entirely the port's fault not Gunta's)

The tour begins with a drive thru the city and Gunta talks about the history and the people and the sights. We pass the huge park where cricket is played then we go to the largest roundabout in the world and see the magnificent 7 then we stop at the botanical gardens.

She walked around with us showing us the different species of trees and plants.

We then drove to Maracus beach and loved the waves at the beach, also got to try the bake and shark sandwich, yum. Definately need to try one of those.

Gunta commented that there is violence on the island but it is usually gang related and not usually directed at tourists, of course she did comment that you do need to use your common sense like most places.

We were welcomed by the locals and enjoyed Trinidad very much. One thing we did notice is that they are not use to tourists here, and they really don't promote Trinidad, Tobago yes but not Trinidad... there is a lot of wealth here on the island which shows in the cars and very expensive homes.

There seemed to be a lot of vans available that you could arrange an independent tour. As soon as we got into the port there were many people offerring us tours. Price seemed to be anywhere from $20 to $40 pp. We know of someone from our group that did this, however they were disappointed as they were driven to the Asa wright centre(because someone in their group insisted) and it was long drive and once you got there unless you had the time to do a good tour it was useless.

We then got to visit where they make the costumes for Mardi Gras and even got to try on some headdresses. Now that was COOL.

On our second visit to Trinida we were unsure what we wanted now the last time we were here we did the tour above and even though we enjoyed the island it didn't leave a lasting impression on us. This time we talked about what we wanted to do and we both thought we would check out some of the historic sights. (note when you get off the ship the tourist info will give you a packet of brochures and there is a good one with a walking tour and building to check out... very easy to follow and easy walk).

So off we went around 11 am and heading for independence square... we walked all the way down it to the Cathedral. Now this island has their things together, they have lots of signage and they have these Island Tourists Reps all around (they wear read shirts with a logo) they helped us with directions, and pamplets and even getting across a busy street. Very impressive.

There was a lot of little food vendors near the roundabout in the square and we were checking out this one guy who had a long lineup to see what he was selling. Well it ended up being this Curried Chic Pea with mango on a pita type bread. He smiled at us and said Here for you! Free. We loved it and were very impressed with their hospitality. We ended up giving him a Canadian pin and he proudly pinned it on. Many of the locals around offered suggestions for places to visit.

We then started walking down the main street towards the larges roundabout and also where Carnival Parade happens. We checked out some local shops and again everyone was so helpful and friendly. Many just wanted to chat and find out where we were from.

We checked out the Famous 7 houses (on the map) and then walked to the zoo which is right beside the gardens (which we visited two weeks ago on the last cruise). The zoo cost $2 US each and it was very very good. Got lots of great pictures and it was fun to be away from all the crowds.

We ended up walking back to the ship (trust me a taxi would of taken longer as the traffic is CRAZY here). We stopped at a coffee bar and enjoyed an espresso. We chatted with lots of locals and many kids as they were just getting out of school. Most of the locals are very happy that tourists are coming to their island.

When we got back on board we both commented that we were really glad we got off today and didn't let our last impression of the island stop us. Because we had a totally different experience this time. We hope to visit it again. (especialy since we have Trinidad Dollars left).

Thanks for taking the trouble to share this info. :) Sounds like you had a great time!

We should have been going to Trinidad in April, but Princess have just changed our itinerary and we're now going to Tobago instead! It looks a lovely island and I'm sure we'll have a great day - but I AM disappointed I won't get to try a bake and shark sandwich!!! :(

Thanks for taking the trouble to share this info. :) Sounds like you had a great time!

We should have been going to Trinidad in April, but Princess have just changed our itinerary and we're now going to Tobago instead! It looks a lovely island and I'm sure we'll have a great day - but I AM disappointed I won't get to try a bake and shark sandwich!!! :(

wow really, I wonder if they are doing that with more than just your sailing? It is too bad... but tobago looks lovely too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the info...what a great post to have gone back to back and tried both ways. We are headed there on the Grand Princess the end of March and were really unsure what we wanted to try (we have a 2 1/2 yr old with us). Your post really really helped so much!!

Thanks so much for the info...what a great post to have gone back to back and tried both ways. We are headed there on the Grand Princess the end of March and were really unsure what we wanted to try (we have a 2 1/2 yr old with us). Your post really really helped so much!!

there was a couple that had a son around 3 and they took him to the zoo and then right near the port, basically across the street was a firehall and he loves firetrucks so they checked it out and everyone at the hall was so nice and actually invited them in and could of spent a lot longer there if time permited.

there was a couple that had a son around 3 and they took him to the zoo and then right near the port, basically across the street was a firehall and he loves firetrucks so they checked it out and everyone at the hall was so nice and actually invited them in and could of spent a lot longer there if time permited.

thanks so much..had no idea there was a zoo!

thanks so much..had no idea there was a zoo!

oh yeah, check out my first post, I know I didn't comment very much about it I should of because it was great.... right beside the garden. Quite large and well laid out and there were school field trips too so it was a nice day.

Trinidad and Tobago make up a rather unlikely twin-island nation.

They're very different from each other.

Tobago's a sleepy too-laid-back truly Caribbean island of just 116 sq.miles...

and her big brother is a rip-roaring oil-economied island of about 1,860 sq.miles!

Nice to hear the OP had positive experiences on Trinidad.

As I may have mentioned before, my wife is a Trini, so we get down there annually

-with much regret do we return home to Barbados(again very different)

In my dreams

I wish I could become Minister of Tourism for Trinidad

to wake them up and develop the sheer tourism potential on the big island

but that would take a lifetime now more than halfway gone.

Don't be afraid to go ashore in Trinidad.

Make allowance for fairly-humongous traffic.

Asa Wright is a long trip, not well suited to day-cruisers on a limited schedule.

Still the best bet is Maracas Beach and everything along the way there.

What the OP ate in Independence Sq. was most likely 'DOUBLES'

-a very popular Indian-origined street food that all Trinis eat at road side!

The best Doubles I ever had in Trinidad was one Sat. morning in Curepe. ;)

If you see a long line for Doubles

GET IN DE LINE -dat mean it sweet when you reach the action point! :D

GoneClear will back me up on this.

Trinidad and Tobago make up a rather unlikely twin-island nation.

They're very different from each other.

Tobago's a sleepy too-laid-back truly Caribbean island of just 116 sq.miles...

and her big brother is a rip-roaring oil-economied island of about 1,860 sq.miles!

Nice to hear the OP had positive experiences on Trinidad.

As I may have mentioned before, my wife is a Trini, so we get down there annually

-with much regret do we return home to Barbados(again very different)

In my dreams

I wish I could become Minister of Tourism for Trinidad

to wake them up and develop the sheer tourism potential on the big island

but that would take a lifetime now more than halfway gone.

Don't be afraid to go ashore in Trinidad.

Make allowance for fairly-humongous traffic.

Asa Wright is a long trip, not well suited to day-cruisers on a limited schedule.

Still the best bet is Maracas Beach and everything along the way there.

What the OP ate in Independence Sq. was most likely 'DOUBLES'

-a very popular Indian-origined street food that all Trinis eat at road side!

The best Doubles I ever had in Trinidad was one Sat. morning in Curepe. ;)

If you see a long line for Doubles

GET IN DE LINE -dat mean it sweet when you reach the action point! :D

GoneClear will back me up on this.

All I can add to this is when you reach Maracas Beach, try eating a shark and Bake

Archived