How common is Norovirus on Carnival?

Ladder55

We are planning on taking our next cruise on ccl. I read all the boards and reviews and I have noticed that ncl seems to have alot of talk about norovirus on their cruises, how many experience this on ccl or hear about it? just wondering if it is just as common on ccl.

I have not read one post on ccl boards indicating any issues with it.

No more common than it is anywhere else and probably less common that it is in schools, nursing homes - anywhere you have people in a confined space you run the risk or Noro. I've had it once and was nowhere near a ship at the time - family picked it up at the nursing home my aunt was in and spread it around.

As far as health inspections go - Carnival routinely gets upper 90s to 100 on their CDC health inspection scores. But the vast majority of noro cases aren't spread through the foodborne path - they are spread by people who have it and spread it by touching things, sneezing, vomiting, coughing. It's spreads like wildfire on surfaces, from person to person, and can also be airborne. The other scary thing is that once someone has had it - they can still spread the germ for as much as two weeks afterward even though they are feeling better. The actual virus is gosh-awful but only last about 48 hours. Most people know it as simply the stomach flu and not noro -you just hear about noro in connection with ships usually. On the off chance you get it, you will be miserable for a few days but unless your immune system is compromised chances are you will be fine.

I've been on 10 cruises. 1 NCL, 2 RCCL, and 7 on Carnival. The only time I caught Noro was on RCCL. So, I wouldn't think that Carnival is prevalent on the norovirus. Basically, you're just as likely to catch Noro on Carnival as any other ship, or from any airport, or tourist attraction you visit.

We were on a spring break cruise last year. On the first two days we were allowed to serve ourselves in the buffet lines. Some people came down with something and the line cooks took the utensils away and served us for the rest of the cruise. We didn't understand at first why they wouldn't let us touch the tongs and spoons but word made it around and we were grateful they did what they did. I suspect it kept a lot of people from getting sick.

When we sailed on RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, a worker was standing at the buffet having each person use the hand cleaner. Don't know if this is standard practice or if it was just the time of year. We sure didn't think it was a bad idea. The hand cleaner is at each line of Carnival Ships but never saw anyone use it.

I think you can catch it anywhere. Just wash your hands a lot. We also watch what we touch such as handrails. Not germafobes. But sure would hate to get sick on our vacation.

My hubby got some kind of stomach virus on a Carnival cruise last December. He woke up about 4 AM on the day of debarkation from the Conquest with a raging case of the "trots", and was sick the whole way home. That was one miserable drive. He had such a high fever and dehydration, he ended up in the emergency room, and then on to intensive care for 2 days! Thank goodness we have health insurance - the bill was over $25K for the hospitalization. That's a lot of cruises.

I checked these boards for others reporting such an illness on that particular cruise. Maybe he was the only one? I doubt it. Carnival does have hand sanitizers located around the ship, so they are aware and making an effort. We used them every chance. I was amazed at the number of people who walked right past them on the way to the buffet line.

We are planning on taking our next cruise on ccl. I read all the boards and reviews and I have noticed that ncl seems to have alot of talk about norovirus on their cruises, how many experience this on ccl or hear about it? just wondering if it is just as common on ccl.

Noro really doesn't occur on the ship. It's normally imported from someone boarding the vessel.

Having said that, it's not that common and Carnival seems to have fewer instances of it than some other lines.

They are very careful to tell everyone about the proper precautions to take and make every effort to make hand sanitizing equipment easily available.

The BEST way to avoid Noro is to simply wash your hands frequently, avoid rubbing your eyes and nose.

I've never had Noro on board and I think that with some simple precautions I probably never will!!

:)

Noro/stomach flu does not discriminate!

But I do think NCL takes the best precautions...

They sanitize your hands before you board.. and hand sanitizers are almost everywhere.. and people use them!;)

The problem is the typical hand sanitizers don't get rid of norovirus, the only thing that the average person can do is wash your hands constantly!

Noro really doesn't occur on the ship. It's normally imported from someone boarding the vessel.

Having said that, it's not that common and Carnival seems to have fewer instances of it than some other lines.

They are very careful to tell everyone about the proper precautions to take and make every effort to make hand sanitizing equipment easily available.

The BEST way to avoid Noro is to simply wash your hands frequently, avoid rubbing your eyes and nose.

I've never had Noro on board and I think that with some simple precautions I probably never will!!

:)

Thanks Mach,

you said it better than myself.

I know all lines are capable of the virus, it just seems from all the research and reading I have done, CCL does have very few incidents compared to other lines

Last year on NCL they had you wash, spray, spritz, rub, day and night, but it still was a problem and I keep reading of other incidents to date on that line, but have not heard of many if any on ccl. I know the virus doesn't discriminate, am just curious why it is more prevelant on some lines.

The problem is the typical hand sanitizers don't get rid of norovirus, the only thing that the average person can do is wash your hands constantly!

I dont think the intent is to rid noro

i think the intent is to encourage washing one's hands

Thanks Mach,

you said it better than myself.

I know all lines are capable of the virus, it just seems from all the research and reading I have done, CCL does have very few incidents compared to other lines

Last year on NCL they had you wash, spray, spritz, rub, day and night, but it still was a problem and I keep reading of other incidents to date on that line, but have not heard of many if any on ccl. I know the virus doesn't discriminate, am just curious why it is more prevelant on some lines.

Logically, if it abounds in places like nursing homes, it would seem that the "older" the cruise, perhaps the more regular exposure? Haven't seen it much with the schools....

I dont think the intent is to rid noro

i think the intent is to encourage washing one's hands

True, but having hand sanitizers all around will make people think they are safe from norovirus and will use them in place of washing their hands, so it's not necessarily the right message to send. The hand sanitizers will help with lots of other germs tho.

Logically, if it abounds in places like nursing homes, it would seem that the "older" the cruise, perhaps the more regular exposure? Haven't seen it much with the schools....

Nursing homes, day care centers, AND schools get a lot of noro type viruses. It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with lots of people in very close proximity who aren't practicing the best after-bathroom hygiene. In the case of nursing home incidents, it's often the caregivers who aren't washing up well between patients and spreading it around that way.

I've sailed many times, and a NoroVirus outbreak only has occurred on one of my cruises. The crew immediately stopped allowing guests to serve themselves in the buffet lines, and some other precautions were taken. The ship made many announcements about the outbreak, including telling guests to inform the ship's medical team if they felt sick. Everyone was reminded to wash their hands often. On the cruises after this occurred, I noticed that new hand sanitizer machines appeared on the Lido deck buffet lines, and that tissue holders appeared on the bathroom doors (so you can open the door without touching it). I'm happy to say that I've never come down with the virus while cruising, and I'll continue to take my own precautions.

We boarded the LIberty the week after Noro was on the ship. They had information in the cabins and on the TV's cruise channel.

Wash your hands that is the best way to avoid the nasty virus. It can happen anywhere. We try not touching a lot of common things, like hand rails, we also like to use our elbows for pushing the buttons in the elevators. We do carry our own sanitzer and use it frequently through out the cruise. Also when entering the dining rooms they have sanitzer as well as at the start of the buffets.

Noro/stomach flu does not discriminate!

But I do think NCL takes the best precautions...

They sanitize your hands before you board.. and hand sanitizers are almost everywhere.. and people use them!;)

Wow - do they require this? My skin is gets very irritated from the hand sanitizers so I would hate to sail a line where they made me use the stuff. I am VERY careful about frequent handwashing - probably due to my years working in restaurants. Hot water, soap and at least 20 seconds if not 30 making sure to get the backs of the hands and under the nails as well.

The Glory in January had the sanitizer dispensers at all the buffet lines but I never once saw anyone use them - of course neither did I due to my sensitive skin. But I also made it a point to go wash my hands right before going through the lines which I'm sure not everyone does. Judging by the number of men coming out of the restroom still zipping up there were plenty of guys out there who didn't wash their hands! :eek::eek::eek:

Wow - do they require this? My skin is gets very irritated from the hand sanitizers so I would hate to sail a line where they made me use the stuff. I am VERY careful about frequent handwashing - probably due to my years working in restaurants. Hot water, soap and at least 20 seconds if not 30 making sure to get the backs of the hands and under the nails as well.

The Glory in January had the sanitizer dispensers at all the buffet lines but I never once saw anyone use them - of course neither did I due to my sensitive skin. But I also made it a point to go wash my hands right before going through the lines which I'm sure not everyone does. Judging by the number of men coming out of the restroom still zipping up there were plenty of guys out there who didn't wash their hands! :eek::eek::eek:

On my one and only NCL cruise there was a person handing out trays and wrapped silverware at the beginning of the buffet and they would not hand you the tray until you used the sanitizer.

We used it, but if I was having one of those sensitive hand moments I would have been miserable (I work food service and frequent washing plus cold dry weather do a number on my hands).

in 64 Carnival cruises, have never experienced norovirus. Could it happen? Yes. Norovirus can be found anywhere large numbers of people are brought together and is common in schools, workplaces and other areas.

While onboard, frequent and thorough washing of your hands with soap and water, keeping your hands away from your face, mouth and nose will work wonders.

Nursing homes, day care centers, AND schools get a lot of noro type viruses. It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with lots of people in very close proximity who aren't practicing the best after-bathroom hygiene. In the case of nursing home incidents, it's often the caregivers who aren't washing up well between patients and spreading it around that way.

The key here is close quarters...

On a ship it is guicker for viruses to transfer due to containment. even more than schools, etc. more like hospitals/nursing homes. As it is very contageous.

On my one and only NCL cruise there was a person handing out trays and wrapped silverware at the beginning of the buffet and they would not hand you the tray until you used the sanitizer.

We used it, but if I was having one of those sensitive hand moments I would have been miserable (I work food service and frequent washing plus cold dry weather do a number on my hands).

Wow. Guess I've ruled out NCL for any future cruises. Never mind that it's debatable whether the sanitizers actually work on Noro at all. I know they will kill other germs as well, but don't like the idea of forced usage. The skin would be peeling off my hands by the end of the week if I had to use the stuff three times a day. I would love to see ships install a handwashing station at the beginning of each line, though. :)

The key here is close quarters...

On a ship it is guicker for viruses to transfer due to containment. even more than schools, etc. more like hospitals/nursing homes. As it is very contageous.

That is exactly the point I was making, that it is close quarters, not someone's age which makes the liklihood of an outbreak more possible, not that outbreaks are more likely in a school or nursing home than on a cruise ship.

Archived