When is an upgrade not an upgrade?

Andar

We booked an inside cabin on the Sea Princess. We were notified by mail that our cabin had been upgraded to an oceanview. Great, right?

I am not so sure.

Now we are booked directly under the Wheelhouse Bar!

While I would love an ocean view, I am disabled and need to go to bed by 10:00.

One time we were under or over the Princess lounge and it was awful - especially hearing the same shows twice, but at least it was over at midnight.

Has anyone booked under the wheelhouse on the Sea Princess? Could you hear the bar noises??

Any upgrade that you don't like isn't an upgrade. The category may be higher, but like you found it could be in a location that doesn't fit your needs. We always mark our booking "no upgrade" for just that reason. We may have missed some great opportunities, but we're not willing to take a chance.

I agree with FritzG. My DW and I have booked a balcony on the Emerald deck of the Coral Princess and we told our TA absolutely no upgrades. We sailed on the Island Princess three years ago and loved our cabin so much, we booked the exact same one again. Better to stick with what you know than end up at a Wheelhouse party that you hadn't planned on going to. Every night yet. LOL

We booked an inside cabin on the Sea Princess. We were notified by mail that our cabin had been upgraded to an oceanview. Great, right?

I am not so sure.

One time we were under or over the Princess lounge and it was awful - especially hearing the same shows twice, but at least it was over at midnight.

Has anyone booked under the wheelhouse on the Sea Princess? Could you hear the bar noises??

I would check the Princess website to see if there are any other staterooms in that category that are not under the Wheelhouse that are still available, then see if they will change the cabin assignment. We have had luck having our TA do this in the past when we have booked a guarantee. As long as the stateroom you choose is the exact same category, they will normally switch the staterooms for you.

Best of Luck, and I honestly don't blame you. There is no way during shows that you are going to have quiet to retire early.

But if all else fails and you can't get it changed, only one suggestion, EAR Plugs (as a last resort). ;)

Shortly after reserving a handicapped accessable cabin on the Emerald, Princess offerred me an upgrade, but they couldn't guarantee me an accessable cabin with the upgrade. So in this case, the "upgrade" wouldn't be an upgrade. My TA then included "no upgrades" on my file.

This is why I ask for "no upgrades" to be listed on my reservation. We are in an aft balcony for our RT Hawaii cruise on the Golden. I want to stay there because the weather can be rough crossing the Pacific and the aft is more protected.

I agree with those who say try getting a different cabin. Even if you are past final payment, since you didn't choose the cabin you are in they might reassign you. It never hurts to ask :)

I would check the Princess website to see if there are any other staterooms in that category that are not under the Wheelhouse that are still available, then see if they will change the cabin assignment. We have had luck having our TA do this in the past when we have booked a guarantee. As long as the stateroom you choose is the exact same category, they will normally switch the staterooms for you.

Best of Luck, and I honestly don't blame you. There is no way during shows that you are going to have quiet to retire early.

But if all else fails and you can't get it changed, only one suggestion, EAR Plugs (as a last resort). ;)

Where do I find that information?

I can select the cruise and ship and clicked on availabilty and rates but it just showed the price per category. It looks like they have changed a few things on their website.

Can anyone tell me how to see what cabins are still available?

Where do I find that information?

I can select the cruise and ship and clicked on availabilty and rates but it just showed the price per category. It looks like they are changed a few things in their website.

Can anyone tell me how to see what cabins are still available?

Probably easier to tell us your category stateroom and your sailing date. We can then post if they are showing any availability for other staterooms in that category.

But if you want to try, just go into www.princess.com and search for a cruise and go all the way through the booking process until it brings up which cabins are available.

Edited: Just looked up the deck plans and my guess is that you have been assigned a category E stateroom on the starboard side? Only way around this is to try to get an available stateroom on the port side. It would be under the picture gallery hallway, but at least not directly under the band.

I see by your prevous roll call posts you are booked for September 1. Let me look to see if I can find any other staterooms on the port side available. ;)

I just checked, and ALL outside staterooms are waitlisted for this sailing, sorry.

Gosh, how kind of you to check for me. Yes, it was cat. E

Since it is close to the lifts, I will hope it is far enough away from the stage. I will bring my Ipod, too;)

Again, thanks for checking and I will remember how to do that in the future (just didn't want to get charged for another room so didn't go as far in the process as I needed to go).

We've marked our last two bookings "no upgrade."

On my first cruise (on Carnival), we got a category upgrade, which put us under one of the dining rooms. Could hear the vacuum cleaners late at night.

If you're willing to risk an upgrade, probably the best thing to do is talk to your TA and tell him or her to contact you first if the cruiseline offers an upgrade. Have the deck plan near your phone so you can check out the location.

I am not so sure.

As others have said - be wary of upgrades.

We were "upgraded" from a convertible twin bed balcony on the Dawn Princess to four berth cabin with dropdown bunks on a higher deck, only found out by checking the Cruise Personaliser. No notification from Princess or TA.

As this is our first cruise and 42 days were devastated. Eventually the TA managed to get it reversed. We are now marked "do not upgrade or move". The cruise leaves next week but we are still anxious after that experience.

There is a thread here if you are interested. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=918569&highlight=bellbowrie

Good luck

Ross

Ross, thanks for the additional information. In loking at the deck plans, it apears E345 is under at the side entrance to the wheelhouse, do you think we could hear the music all night?

DH is out of town and reluctant to make a fuss as he would enjoy a window. We have always had an inside cabon as we would rather cruise more often and we only go the cabin to sleep. (key word - sleep):rolleyes:

Ross, thanks for the additional information. In loking at the deck plans, it apears E345 is under at the side entrance to the wheelhouse, do you think we could hear the music all night?

DH is out of town and reluctant to make a fuss as he would enjoy a window. We have always had an inside cabon as we would rather cruise more often and we only go the cabin to sleep. (key word - sleep):rolleyes:

Andar, I think you will be fine, you are far enough from the dance floor and band. I doubt you will hear much being at the other side from where the band is playing.

Archived