What Clothes for Antarctic Infinity Cruise?

mauigo

We're going on Celebrity's S. Am/Antarctic cruise Jan. 31, 2010. Has anyone done the Celebrity cruise there and what clothes to take? How dressy is formal night? What do most people wear while ship is cruising? Dress code always varies with the region, ship and cliental, and I do not want to overpack for this cruise. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Windie

We are on the same cruise. What I have read and heard, it is less formal and we plan no tuxes or fancy dresses, just suits and lite weight simple dresses. We came off the Solstice in January and the new dress code fits suits.

Coming from Florida we are bringing cold weather gear sweaters and ski jackets. Just our style.

George

We'll be on the Feb. 14 Infinity sailing, and we're also considering what clothes to take. Our Antarctica sailing is the first segment of a B2B2B - Antarctica through the Canal. So, besides the usual considerations, we'll be onboard for 6 weeks, through all kinds of weather. We've already resigned ourelves to the fact that packing lightly (which is beyond my abilities anyway), will probably be a moot point! :rolleyes:

One thought that I've had is that many of the passengers onboard will be South American and possibly European. I would think that formal nights might be more strictly adhered to, as would the smart casual nights. These particular cultures tend to dress nicely for dinner. ( I base this remark on my 20 years experience working with different cultures.)However, since this will be my first experience cruising this region, I'm wondering just as you are. I do know though, that when we were in Buenos Aires in the late nineties, we noticed that people dressed very well. Times may have changed in the last decade, but I doubt if those changes will include dressing down in the ambience of the main dining room. So we will most likely bring a tux and my formal outfits, which are fairly lightweight. If not a tux, my husband would bring a jacket and suit anyway.

Probably, during the day, everyone will want to dress appropriately for the weather conditions. We have never brought jeans on a cruise - ever. However we're talking about each of us bringing a pair to be able to wear during the day over a base layer, if needed. We each bought lightweight,windproof, waterproof jackets (DH from LLBean and mine from Land's End) on sale. Mine weighs 2 pounds and has a removable fleece liner. We'll also bring a fleece hat and gloves. We're considering bringing a pair of lighter weight fleece lined boots, mainly to have for ports like Stanley and Ushuaia, but the jury is still out on the boots.

So, like you folks, I'm anxious to have the same questions answered. The above thoughts are just that, thoughts. I really have no way of knowing, but we still will probably plan to take our formal clothes as a personal preference.

Mary

The key is layers. It will get down to freezing (0C/32F) when cruising the peninsula. I

don't weear jeans but prefer a pair of windproof nylon pants over chinos or cords. Found

a fleece hoodie under a medium weight windbreaker with toque and gloves adequate for

on deck. Found blazer, slacks and tie acceptable for formal nights with nice dress for DW.

Allowance seems to be made on these cruises for weight limits, etc when packing. Buenos

Aires will probably be hot so light weight casual will work well there and Montevideo.

Further south, the ports will be moderate to cool and not very formal. In Stanley, we dressed

for cool weather and it went to almost 20C/70F. There should be lots of inside viewing

areas on Infinity so it is easy to slip in out of the cold for a while without missing the

wonderful scenery.

There are a few pics in this album that might help.

http://ctosea.shawwebspace.ca/photos/view/antarctic/

Enjoyed looking at your pictures, and imagining ourselves taking some in the same general areas.:)

One question about your parridilla pictures. When we were in BA, we stopped at a restaurant called La Estancia, located on Lavelle. We have almost the same pictures, taken looking into the windows located outside the building, where the spits are. Where did you take your picture?

Mary

Really? Wow! No one on these boards ever mentions La Estancia as a favorite place to eat while In BA - only me. :) Glad to hear of someone else finding it and enjoying their meals there. They allowed my husband to do quite a bit of video taping since he teaches international cuisine. Great place. No doubt we'll go there again next year.

Mary

Archived