Alcohol back on board from the islands?

cruisematerial9

are you able to bring alcohol back on the ship after a day at a port? do they allow you to just carry it on? can you sneak it back on? anyone know anything about this area?

You cannot Sneak it on, they xray you and everything you bring back on board. Liquior will be held for you until the last night when it is delivered to you to be packed. It also must be declared along with everything you purchase for customs.

Some people cruise just to buy booze and cigarettes but not for on board consumption. and you must put this in check luggage to fly obviously, there are no approved containers etc. that let you carry on your alcohol.

You cannot Sneak it on, they xray you and everything you bring back on board. Liquior will be held for you until the last night when it is delivered to you to be packed. It also must be declared along with everything you purchase for customs.

Some people cruise just to buy booze and cigarettes but not for on board consumption. and you must put this in check luggage to fly obviously, there are no approved containers etc. that let you carry on your alcohol.

Ditto...this is what I've always seen too...the US does give you an allowance though...so you do have to declare it but you get so much duty free...someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

are you able to bring alcohol back on the ship after a day at a port? do they allow you to just carry it on? can you sneak it back on? anyone know anything about this area?

I've bought it a few times in port (because there was something cool I couldn't easily get at home, not because I was planning to drink it on board). Sometimes ship's security has taken it away from me and returned it to me the last day of the cruise, other times they've just let it through. No idea what was different, I've even had it go once each way on the same cruise.

In general, it's probably safest to assume that what you buy will be held until the end of the cruise.

I never heard of anyone having a problem bringing tobacco products on board except years ago on the Carnival Paradise. You can "sneak" beer and liquor on - you just need to do it in moderation and creatively. A six pack is usually no problem if it is in a back pack. Liquor . . . think what will go through a WTMD without alarming . . . have big pockets and a baggy shirt.

The rule for most cruiselines is that you are not allowed to bring alcohol onto the ship at any time. The exception for some cruiselines is that you are allowed to bring a bottle of wine pp when first boarding the ship. If you purchase it while at one of your port stops it will be held and given back to you the last night of your cruise. Anything you bring back to the ship will be going through a scanner. Soda is usually allowed to be brought back to the ship and some cruiselines allow a bottle of wine pp. without a problem. Remember that cruiselines all have slightly different rules about different kinds of alcohol so there is no hard and fast rule for all cruiselines for all alcohol so you have to check on your own cruiselines rules.

With all of that said, there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast "always" will happen rules with any cruiseline. I do think it all depends on the actual cruiseline personal checking when you return to the ship. Alcohol put into waterbottles when returning to the ship from a port will often make it onto the ship without a problem but there is always the chance that it will not. Small bottles vs large bottles have a much better chance of making it back onto the ship with you from a port stop.

I guess my thought is that it may never hurt to try to bring alcohol with you when visiting a port but don't be surprised and outraged if your alcohol is taken away from you. Its a gamble you're taking and one does not always win a gamble.;)

Does the holding of alcohol until the last night rule also go for cuban cigars?

That depends on where "home" is for you. Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States due to embargo laws. I assume you could smoke them while ashore, or smoke them on the ship, but not take them home if you live in the US. Here's something I found online:

"Cuban cigars are illegal in the United States, except for pre-embargo cigars which are very rare and extremely expensive. If U.S. citizens attempt to buy, own or bring any Cuban cigars into the U.S., they may be subject to fines and other penalties, depending on the particular circumstances.

Cuban Cigars Are Illegal at Home AND Abroad:

Technically, although an American citizen cannot even purchase or smoke a Cuban cigar while traveling abroad, there may not be any practical way to enforce the restriction. That being said, a cigar smoker who ever wanted to try a Cuban cigar may want to take the chance while traveling in other countries. Canada and Mexico are not very far from many American cities, and those who are planning a Caribbean cruise will find Cuban cigars for sale on many of the islands. There is, however, a problem with counterfeit Cuban cigars being sold to American tourists. To improve the chances of getting the real thing, make your purchase from a reputable cigar store, and not one of the many street vendors that you'll see near the port. Do not buy any more cigars that you intend to smoke while abroad. "

Are you allowed to bring alcohol onto the ship from the deportation port? We were thinking of bringing a bottle or two of liquor and mixing some of our own drinks in the room to save some money.

That would be Departure not Deportation, LOL sorry just made me picture some guy being deported and taking his booze with him.

To the person who asked about declaring alcohol or cigarettes that are within your allowance YES you absolutely have to declare them. You don't pay tax on them if they don't exceed the allowance but you MUST declare every single thing you buy on your trip wether you buy it on board or in a port. At least that is the LAW on the matter. Does everyone declare everything? I am sure they don't but I would not neglect items like Liquor and cigarettes. and don't try to take more cigarettes, the duty free ones, than allowed the penalties if caught are HUGE.

Archived