CURRENCY-MEXICAN ports

JES11583

Hi there! Quick question... I have been to Cozumel and dont recall having to convert USDs to pesos..however, for Calica, my friend was doing research and she said that Tulum (ruins) only accepting Pesos... do you all know if we need to convert some money before we go/get there... OR are USD accepted.. I am pretty sure USD are accepted everywhere.. but I have never been to Calica.. and I am pretty sure places like Paradise Island in Cozumel accept USDs... help?!?! lol..sorry.. hope I made sense.. kinda rushing typing this thanks in advance!!!

Hi there! Quick question... I have been to Cozumel and dont recall having to convert USDs to pesos..however, for Calica, my friend was doing research and she said that Tulum (ruins) only accepting Pesos... do you all know if we need to convert some money before we go/get there... OR are USD accepted.. I am pretty sure USD are accepted everywhere.. but I have never been to Calica.. and I am pretty sure places like Paradise Island in Cozumel accept USDs... help?!?! lol..sorry.. hope I made sense.. kinda rushing typing this thanks in advance!!!

You probably won't need pesos, but there are always "cambios" or money-changers near the pier. Check out www.xe.com for current rates.

I 2nd what Mach said. I've never been anywhere that they didn't accept US money, and that includes Tulum. However, it is wise to take plenty of ones, fives, and tens, because they often don't have change. (Or they say they don't.) I don't recall ever being asked for coins....it's always rounded out to dollars. I was told that I needed pesos at some port I visited....it might have been Tulum. But I bought some souvenirs there with good old green backs and never needed pesos. FYI, ports I have visited and made purchases with US dollars are: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Costa Maya, Progreso, Nassau, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, & St. Lucia.

all the tourists stops take US Dollars or Pesos. It's not necessary to change your money over unless ya want to. My recommendation is to have a lot of small bills, ones, fives, some tens. For ease of transactions most merchants use an exchange rate of 10:1 rather that what ever the going rate is (somewhere around 13 right now I belive). When you pay in USD, your change will most likely be in Pesos. I've been to a few places where they did give me change in USD, which for me was totally above n beyond good service.

I'd definitely get some pesos either ahead of time or at the cambios. Your bank at home can get them for you if you give them a few days notice. Merchants, hotels and taxis are currently giving a rate of exchange $1/10 pesos. But the actual rate is just under $1/15 pesos. So unless you pay in pesos, everything you buy is more expensive by about 40-50%!! That's a LOT! I always get a few hundred in pesos. If I have any left, I give them to the waitstaff/stewards as they can use them when they get off in port. Or I save them for next cruise (if I remember where I put them.) Also if you charge things, your rate of exchange should be better than 1/10.

Archived