Freedom dining - Pacific Sun

Topaz_M

The ambiance in the Library is quite pleasant - and perhaps if we were starry-eyed lovers again :o, it would be worth an extra 50 bucks for the experience - but personally, I would rather buy an extra 2 bottles of wine and share it around the dining room table.

Barry

Here here Barry to the wine........must say we thought you and Christine definately had that starry-eyed lovers look though...:D;):p

I am glad we didn't go to the steak library...:D:D. Two years ago on the Pacific Star we did... that ship had a dedicated area for the steakhouse it was a bar come restaurant which was beautifully mood lit, the staff were very discreet, the menu was fabulous,,,, please please bring back the blooming onion.....there was a small dance floor and we even had a trio playing.....now thats what i call ambiance and for $20 a head it was a bargain.... Going on the Sun Princess in a couple of weeks i believe they only charge $20 for the steakhouse will check it out and maybe give it a go. cheers Shiona

Skyrules I note your comment Given how disorganised the buffet on Pacific Sun is, I think dinner in there will be a nightmare. We were there only 2 weeks back and I found it to be excellent. Not sure what you have experienced before. Everyone stood in line, the food was hot and plentiful and excellent and you served yourself and moved on. There were waitresses taking drink orders if you wanted something other than the juice, water or coffee. THere was always somewhere to sit and we got to meet different people all day. The dining rooms were fine, the staff were lovely, but I thought the food was no where near as good - one night in the dining room, my husband ordered cutlets. He got two bones with a 1 cm circle of meat on each one, plus not too many veges to fill the plate. He left hungry. We went to the buffet the next night and had lamb chops, roast beef, chicken, fish, pork, and plenty of real veges and potatoes. We decided we preferred to be full, rather than feel elegant being served artsy plates. Each to their own of course, which is why cruising is such a fabulous way to travel. :)

Last time we went on the PS and the PD you could order as much as you wanted in the dinning room!

Did your husband ask for extras or more?

We always had extra Greek salad and Ceaser salads with our meals,sometimes extra entree and had 2 mains and deserts etc:eek:

Many people orderd a side of chips with their meals?

If you dont ask you dont get.

We had the same waiters on PS (Mareia and Dae sp) seated dinning and now and again on anytime PD,and they told us both cruises that you can have as much as you like within reason.

Has there been another P&O cost cut in the past year?

At least 3 groups we met on the PD had no idea that you didnt have to pay extra for the evening meal at the dinning room,some thought you had to pay extra for brekky,lunch and afternoon tea and was having all meals in the buffet lol.

It wasnt until over a drink one night more than half way through that one lady said you must be spending a small fortune on dinning that they found out it was all inclusive!

They all soon made up for it.

Den

Hi Den,

You can still order as much as you want on the Pacific Sun. I sometimes ordered a jacket potato with the main course. Peter always asked for four icecreams while I ordered a dessert off the menu and asked for an icecream as well. I am surprised that passengers would think there is a charge for the dining room. (Don't doubt your comment though!) :):)

Evon.

buffet is open for all 3 meals - and we preferred it for dinner instead of the dining room. They have the same meals, and you can take as much of each one as you like, whereas in the dining room, you choose one entree, one main and one dessert, and they only give you small amounts. You also dont need to dress for the buffet, which is nice after a day around the pool.

You can always asks for 2nds at the restaurant :p.

Hi Den,

You can still order as much as you want on the Pacific Sun. I sometimes ordered a jacket potato with the main course. Peter always asked for four icecreams while I ordered a dessert off the menu and asked for an icecream as well. I am surprised that passengers would think there is a charge for the dining room. (Don't doubt your comment though!) :):)

Evon.

Yes its true:) I wrote about it last year,it was on the PD when it first started and introduced anytime dinning.

The mistake could not have been made with the old dinning seating sessions as there was no buffet at night!

I know the PS has anytime dinning now but didnt know the buffet was also open in the evening, do they open both dinning rooms for the evening meal?

Den

On Pacific Sun, there is one dining room + buffet open for breakfast and lunch, and both dining rooms open for dinner. Starting when Anytime Dining started on Pac Sun on 14th Feb, they now also open the buffet for dinner. Great improvement.:):):)

Evon.

On Pacific Sun, there is one dining room + buffet open for breakfast and lunch, and both dining rooms open for dinner. Starting when Anytime Dining started on Pac Sun on 14th Feb, they now also open the buffet for dinner. Great improvement.:):):)

Evon.

Suits me fine! Early dinner at the buffet followed by late dinner in the dinning room:D.

What happens with the dinning rooms, I bet one gets full a lot quicker than the other when a good show is on.

Den

What happens with the dinning rooms, I bet one gets full a lot quicker than the other when a good show is on.

Den

In my opinion, the 'front' dining room, the Burgundy Restaurant, is the most convenient. It is right near the Atlantis Lounge and the Speakeasy Bar. I don't know if the Burgundy Restaurant fills quicker, but I think it is quite likely. :):) The Bordeaux Restaurant is not as easy to find if you are not familiar with the layout of the ship. This is a very good question of yours - it is probably easier to get a seat in the Bordeaux.

Evon.

we didnt realise we could order more in the dining room? it was presented just like a restaurant menu, and we had no idea it was flexible. Well there you go! I believe it would have been better before when you had the same waiter every night - he would get to know you and your needs and offer titbits like that. But we got a different waiter every time and they didnt volunteer anything else but take our order. I thought we had learnt a lot off this site, but that was one that never came up before!:( Next time, we'll know ALL the special bits!

In my opinion, the 'front' dining room, the Burgundy Restaurant, is the most convenient. It is right near the Atlantis Lounge and the Speakeasy Bar. I don't know if the Burgundy Restaurant fills quicker, but I think it is quite likely. :):) The Bordeaux Restaurant is not as easy to find if you are not familiar with the layout of the ship. This is a very good question of yours - it is probably easier to get a seat in the Bordeaux.

Evon.

Last time on PS we were in the Bordeaux as we needed to get 2 groups seated together that were split between the two dinning rooms.

Easy to get around once you have been there a few times and possibly easier to get a booking every night with anytime dinning.

Den

we didnt realise we could order more in the dining room? it was presented just like a restaurant menu, and we had no idea it was flexible. Well there you go! I believe it would have been better before when you had the same waiter every night - he would get to know you and your needs and offer titbits like that. But we got a different waiter every time and they didnt volunteer anything else but take our order. I thought we had learnt a lot off this site, but that was one that never came up before!:( Next time, we'll know ALL the special bits!

Even with the same waiter each night they don't tell you that you can order more. You have to know or be told by others at your table. :D My husband started off saying "lots of icecream" and he got two scoops, while I ordered a dessert "with icecream" and also got two scoops. He was a bit miffed. :( I suggested that he needed to be more specific. If he wanted four scoops of icecream, he had to ask for exactly that. Everything was sweet from then on. :D

Evon.

The best part about the buffet for dinner was the fact that most of the dining room menu was available in the buffet. So if you are a 'taster' or cant decide its worth the line up. There was deffinately a few times when finding a table to seat 4 was hard, but we still prefered it to the dining room.

The steak house was good, i had the angus beef capaccio as an entre which was fantastic. Though my husband found the entre list limited. He is fussy and a meat and 2 veg kinda guy. I was glad i experience the steak house, but not sure i would go more than once in a cruise where all meals are already paid for.

With the dining rooms I found them both to be full at peak times. If you are a late eater you could have gotten a seat much easier. Seating for 4 proved hard most of the time. But you soon got used to it and could plan a little around the rush times.

Archived