Eastbound transatlantic - what to expect

loum140

We've just booked our first eastbound transatlantic on Oceania's Regatta for March 2010 - Miami to Barcelona. The first eight days are at sea, then we stop in Casablanca, Funchal and Malaga.

I have posted questions about what to pack for DH and myself on our Roll Call board as there are many signed up who have done numerous T/A crossings, but so far no responses. I like to spend time outdoors - walking, playing shuffleboard or just sitting in the sun (if any) with my needlepoint.

I know weather cannot be predicted, but can anyone give me some advice on what to expect, generally speaking? I imagine that it will be "comfortable" for a day or so out of Miami and then again as we near Casablanca, but what about mid-atlantic? How cold and windy will it actually be? Will it be warm enough for walking shorts and/or capris on port stops? Any need for Tee shirts (DH's preferred touring attire). Bathing suit?

Thanks in advance, Marsha

I did a spring crossing on Celebrity a couple of years ago in April. We left out of New Jersey, so the weather was quite cool and windy with fairly high seas the whole way (waves 8-14 ft.). You could be outside, but you wanted jeans and a sweatshirt, maybe a light jacket. I did sit on my verandah, but only wrapped in a nice blanket from the pool area!

Weather aside, it was a wonderful cruise - so relaxing. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Cathy

Marsha,

My DH and I are leaving on March 7 of this year to take this very same cruise. When I get back, I plan on leaving lots of reviews of the weather and the whole experience. I will personally come to this thread and let you know what sort of temps and sea conditions we had.

Elizabeth

Hi Marsha, I took my fourth transatlantic last fall and love them. Since you

will be going the southern route, you could be as fortunate as I was and

have calm seas. Tshirts for the daytime, sure, but maybe a jacket too.

The only part my DH and I didn't like about the eastern TA was losing an hour many nights - last fall was western, so I got some hours back. Those from Canada and England wore shorts, those from Florida didn't. There are many activities planned, but my husband and I just enjoyed watching the ocean go by. I envy you - eight days in a row at sea - wonderful! Jo

We've just booked our first eastbound transatlantic on Oceania's Regatta for March 2010 - Miami to Barcelona. The first eight days are at sea, then we stop in Casablanca, Funchal and Malaga.

I have posted questions about what to pack for DH and myself on our Roll Call board as there are many signed up who have done numerous T/A crossings, but so far no responses. I like to spend time outdoors - walking, playing shuffleboard or just sitting in the sun (if any) with my needlepoint.

I know weather cannot be predicted, but can anyone give me some advice on what to expect, generally speaking? I imagine that it will be "comfortable" for a day or so out of Miami and then again as we near Casablanca, but what about mid-atlantic? How cold and windy will it actually be? Will it be warm enough for walking shorts and/or capris on port stops? Any need for Tee shirts (DH's preferred touring attire). Bathing suit?

Thanks to Creeks and xznwfd for your help.

Grammy158, (Elizabeth) I know that you and I have been asking these questions on the Oceania boards to no avail. I even posted on your roll call, but no responses. Amazingly, people respond in droves when asked about what to wear in the Grand Dining Room and give advice freely on which stateroom to choose, but no help on transatlantics, though people seem to take them over and over!

I know you're leaving in a few days and even though our cruise in March 2010 leaves a couple of weeks later, I'm looking forward to getting the full story when you return - port reports, Cruise Director (Leslie Jon?), activities, weather, and what to wear!!! I wish you calm seas and happy sailing! Marsha

I know weather cannot be predicted, but can anyone give me some advice on what to expect, generally speaking?

That's the beauty of the Atlantic - you get some really good storms! Unfortunately, you are going on the southern route - bit of a softie route if you ask me - instead of the classic Southampton to New York. You get some really good storms there! None of this namby pamby fourteen foot swells! Proper force 10s!

I don't know this for sure but from your route, it sounds like you are going to be in the Gulf Stream for most of this crossing. That being said, you should have constant temps day and night mid to upper 70s. Beware the sun because you'll be getting it threefold; directly, reflecting off the boat, and reflecting off the water.

Oh I hope we get some nice warm temps. I have the winter doldrums for sure. Silly, me, thought spring was around the corner because the Robins are feathering their nests, but alas, woke up to 6 more inches of snow yesterday. Unfortunately, it looks like weather is more unpredictable on the ocean, so I have to pack many more clothes to be ready for all possibilities. I told my DH, yes, we DO have to take extra luggage. Extra airline charges be Damn'd!

That's the beauty of the Atlantic - you get some really good storms! Unfortunately, you are going on the southern route - bit of a softie route if you ask me - instead of the classic Southampton to New York. You get some really good storms there! None of this namby pamby fourteen foot swells! Proper force 10s!

Give me the namby pamby softie route for our TA on the Ruby!!

We're taking layers and hoping we won't need too many layers.

We are taking our first TA this April and I too have been in conflict about what to pack. Most advise layering, so this is how I will pack. Definitely more difficult to pack for this 15+ cruise than our usual 7 day caribbean ones. I think my best purchase to date has been a 4 pc interchangeable set in black from travelsmith that you can pack in a small bag w/o wrinkles. With different tops you could make it into 7 outfits and it is nice enough to wear to dinner or excursions! Also, purchased an all weather coat with zip out lining, should save on luggage space. Hope this helps.

We did a 16 nt TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Genoa, mid-April last year. We had several stops in the Carib (hot weather) then 5 sea days before getting to Funchal. The sea days were warm. I am not a sun worshipper, but I did see deck chairs were filled with suntanning folks everyday and some brave souls were in the ship's pool (I know that water is cold). We frequently had breakfast near the pool because it was so pleasant there. I wore shorts and capri's for daywear.

We really loved the TA and want to go on another, hope you love yours.

Elsie:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 14 night TA last April out of Ft Lauderdale and the weather was unbelievable. I know a couple who sailed on another cruise line a week later and they had great weather as well. We stopped in the Caribbean before heading to Funchal, Malaga and Italy and the deck had lots of sunbathers the majority of the trip. I wore mostly shorts and tanks at sea and had a light jacket for inside because I get cold easily.

A few days at sea I was able to sunbathe by the pool and our table mates went in the jacuzzi every day. I didn't venture in the pool but my cousin said it was very cold. In the evenings it got pretty windy on deck but I usually wore a sundress with a light shawl to dinner and was fine. We had a deck concert the night before we got into Funchal and and I had go change because it was pretty cold outside. Everyone was bundled up and they kept running out of blankets. It was also very windy cruising through the Straits of Gibraltar as well. Overall the weather was comfortable and we had a great trip.

Archived