Transportation around Vancouver

NightRN

We'll probably stay at the Sheraton Wall Center. We're thinking about visiting Stanley Park, Granville Island and Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Gardens. I saw that there was a trolley we could hop on for $35 per person (there will be 7 of us.). Would a taxi be more economical?

Have you considered renting a van.....it will offer the most flexibility and the cost for 7 would seem an affordable option. We're doing this at most of our port stops and again when we arrive in Vancouver. With our group of 5 I found it the most affordable option plus we have total flexibility.

Judy

The group i will be with has all looked at the site for the trolley and we all want to do it. I think it has something like 14 stops, where you can get off, check out the sites, and get on the next trolley to go to another location. We are thinking, in one day, we can't do all of the stops, so each of us will pick two, or some such democratic type decision, but I am sure we will enjoy the day, find a good dinner, and then try to sleep so we will be ready to board the Spirit the next morning.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tour_map.php

We'll probably stay at the Sheraton Wall Center. We're thinking about visiting Stanley Park, Granville Island and Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese Gardens. I saw that there was a trolley we could hop on for $35 per person (there will be 7 of us.). Would a taxi be more economical?

The Sheraton Wall Centre is very conviently located and you can walk to Stanley Park , it will be a mile and bit, Granville Island again walkable and about the same distance. The Dr. Yat Sen Gardens ....same story. Now this assumes that you all are happy about walking. Cab or cabs may not be an option as they for the most part have been downsized to compact size and hold about 3 persons max; cab fare to each of these will run about $10 to $12 per cab. The Vancouver Trolley is a good option as the $35 gives you a ticket for 2 days and permits you to see much more of the city. However the real bargin is our transit system with will take you to see everything you have listed and there is an all day pass that can be purchased at most convience stores for $9 pp.

I will attach a link for the transit system which includes and trip planner and a link to the trolley. By the way if you are in town between mid June to late Sept. there is a free shuttle bus that runs in the park.

http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

Vancouver has a wonderful transit system that includes the buses, water taxis and the monorail system.

When we were there it was around $5-6. We disembarked at Canada Place and took the monorail to the Amtrak station. Dropped off our luggage, then went to Granville Island for lunch. We had a blast exploring Vancouver. The monorail was especially cool, since it was a cross between the monorail and the old people mover at Disneyland.

Have fun

Thanks for all the info everyone! It'll be really hard choosing between the trolley, the double-decker bus and the monorail. They're all so different than anything we have here. It sounds like any of those would be cheaper than a taxi. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the info everyone! It'll be really hard choosing between the trolley, the double-decker bus and the monorail. They're all so different than anything we have here. It sounds like any of those would be cheaper than a taxi. Thanks again!

Just so you know, the "monorail" is what we call SkyTrain and while for the most part it is elevated, in the downtown core it is a subway. It together with the SeaBus, a passenger only ferry which takes you across Vancouver's harbour, is part of our transit system and included in the $9 all day pass. A combination of the SeaBus and regualr bus service for instance will allow you to visit the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain SkyRide, if you wish or it can be fun just to take SeaBus across the harbour and come back on it.

www.capbridge.com/

http://www.grousemountain.com/Winter/

We're having a really hard time deciding. I'm pushing for the trolley. I haven't been on one yet, and neither has my kids. ( I know, I know. I need to get to San Francisco one of these days.) I've been on a double-decker bus once in Vegas, but my mom and the kids haven't. We've all ridden the monorail at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, but it would be nice to have a little taste of Disney on our trip. (I had to give up my annual Disney trip this year for this cruise.) The kids and I have been on a subway in New York, but my mom hasn't. Does anyone have any opinions about which one is more "enjoyable".

Is the trolley the only one that stops at the Wall Center? I read the stops for the bus, but it doesn't say how close it comes to the Wall Center. We do have some mobility issues - a block (a regular one, not a city block) is about the extent of the amount of walking we'll be able to do all at once. Then we'll have to stop and take a break.

The SkyTrain and SeaBus does require walking to and really are designed to be a mass tranist facitlity, not a tourist type product...given the circumstances you discribe and I have a wife with MS, I think I would recommend against this. The Big Bus stops in the vacinity of Burrard and Robson a full 1.5 blocks from your hotel with the Trolley stoping at your hotel thats the one I would take. In fact I tend to prefer the Trolley over the Big Bus....but that just me.

Thanks for the insight. It is very helpful, especially coming from someone familiar with mobility issues. It'll be the trolley for us then.

I'll be sure to list all your points when talking to everyone else, but inside I'll be thinking "I get to go on a trolley. I get to go on a trolley." ;)

Night RN- Just a FYI, the "trolley" in Vancouver does not run on rails. It's a midsize bus on tires in a trolley wrapper. We did not use it and it looked nice, just wanted to make you aware.

Sorry, I forgot vehicles in Canada roll around on "tyres" :)

That's kind've a bummer. But, at least it is on the ground. When we went to the Dominican Republic, we went to ride the trolley; only the trolley was really a "cable car" that went up a mountain so high that it got lost in the clouds. :eek: Although that probably doesn't seem bizarre to people in Vancouver, it was very shocking to someone who grew up in the desert.

Long live the trolley!!!

Just so you know, the "monorail" is what we call SkyTrain and while for the most part it is elevated, in the downtown core it is a subway. It together with the SeaBus, a passenger only ferry which takes you across Vancouver's harbour, is part of our transit system and included in the $9 all day pass. A combination of the SeaBus and regualr bus service for instance will allow you to visit the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain SkyRide, if you wish or it can be fun just to take SeaBus across the harbour and come back on it.

www.capbridge.com/

http://www.grousemountain.com/Winter/

Cheers Putterdude, thanks for these links, mentions free shuttle bus from our hotel...wonderful!!! Hopefully the bus will have TYRES and be full of PETROL!!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the English / Canadian / American translations! :) We saw a sign in Vancouver saying "tyres" so assumed it was the standard spelling. It was at a petrol station near the harbo(u)r !!

Was that any where near the shopping "centre" where they sell our very "favourite" "colour" and "flavour" of candy made through a "labour" of love.:)

Archived