Question RE: Upgrades

Mellybelle

Hey there,

I'm new to the board and see where people have received cruise upgrades. How do you receive these? Are they due to frequent cruise points or due to cruiselines running out of rooms on ships.......just curious if someone has a magic wand or did I miss something? :)

Captains club - I think gets an automatic 1 level upgrade.

This is at booking time.

The line will upgrade you to move you out of a cabin level the line is trying to sell to a higher level - sometimes not in the most desirable place.

And from what I have seen it is just there when you are looking at your reservation.

Now an expirenced TA or someone that this has happened to could answer this fully.

Hey there,

I'm new to the board and see where people have received cruise upgrades. How do you receive these? Are they due to frequent cruise points or due to cruiselines running out of rooms on ships.......just curious if someone has a magic wand or did I miss something? :)

Hi Mellybelle !

Welcome to Cruise Critic ! We are always here to help, and we have a wonderful community. I hope you enjoy the boards.

As for Upgrades, I believe you are speaking of free upgrades. It's one of the great mysteries of Cruising. We never seem to know how or why it happens. It seems to be the luck of the draw. If you are asking about Celebrity, I feel it's important to mention that Celebrity does not upgrade as much as other lines. It is possible, but the odds are low.

The best advice I can offer, is to book the cabin and location you are happy with. If you get upgraded ? Wonderful. If not ? You have a cabin that will make you happy. Never book a lesser cabin hoping for an upgrade, as it can lead to disappointment.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

Captains club - I think gets an automatic 1 level upgrade.

This is at booking time.

Hi Longboysfan !

I forgot to mention the Captains Club Upgrade. I wanted to point out that you can only recieve this upgrade on Inside and Oceanview Cabins, and only within the same type of Cabin. You cannot be upgraded from an Inside to an Outside Cabin. In other words, you can book a Category 6 Outside Cabin, and pay the Category 7 rate.

hi all

in all my celebrity cruise sailings we never got upgraded! it must be pure luck, so don't always think your getting an upgrade. we almost always just book the cabin we want, and we have it. i don't think it has to do any thing with if your an elite or slecit member.

hope this helps:)

I also wanted to point out that due to recent price drops, some people were able to contact Celebrity and request either a refund the difference between their original price and the reduced price or "upgrade" to a better cabin class.

If you have not checked prices recently for your cruise, I suggest you do so and if the price has changed, then you can decide if you want a better room or a refund.

Not all cruise lines offer this option, some only offer the upgrade, some offer onboard credits for the difference and some offer a refund too. Celebrity offered any of the three options.

We actually got our first upgrade in 8 years on our most recent Constellation cruise. I had booked 8003 (CAT4) and we were upgraded about 2 weeks before sailing to 9030 (2A) which was very nice. I suspect that their was a family of 4 which 8003 would have accommodated and that's how we got lucky, but we appreciated it very much in any case.

Celebrity rarely gives cabin upgrades - they would rather sell the upgrade onboard and make a little on it than give them out freely. As previously stated, there is the Captain's club upgrade and they will sometimes upgrade if they need your cabin.

You have a better chance of an upgrade if you book a guarantee cabin.

Hi, I booked an inside guarantee yesterday on the Infinity and when I checked the reservation today they put me in an ov, down on the bottom deck, but hey at least it has a window. Yeah!

Maybe the upgrade fairies will be kind to me again, I sure hope so.

Good luck everyone. Hope you all enjoy your cruises.

Nancy:p

Hi, I booked an inside guarantee yesterday on the Infinity and when I checked the reservation today they put me in an ov, down on the bottom deck, but hey at least it has a window. Yeah!

Maybe the upgrade fairies will be kind to me again, I sure hope so.

Good luck everyone. Hope you all enjoy your cruises.

Nancy:p

Nancy that's great that you got a ocean view. enjoy your window!

Laura

Archived