Is Delta strict on lugguge size?

Louise45

We recently bought new lugguge at a very discounted price. I was excited until I looked at Delta's website and the total is 62''. It will be close, it's hard to measure with the wheels and the pockets on front. Has anyone else experienced this?

are you talking about the carry on? i just bought new carry on luggage (as we have never used a carry on before) so i just went by the sizes listed on Deltas website.. not to exceed 22 x 14 x 9..

21 x 13 x 6 is the size of the ones I bought...

By saying it will be close with the pockets and wheels, do you mean it's greater than 62" if you include those? The airline could measure and include those (their website says "total length + width + height).

If you use the suitcases knowing that they don't meet the requirements, be prepared for the extra fees and thankful if you don't get hit with them. I've heard more stories of agents measuring bags lately than ever before.

Also, keep in mind that you also have to watch the weight with bags that large. Anything over 50 pounds will cost you (the suitcases themselves probably weigh several pounds empty).

By the way, you mention that the extra fees could total $700. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy new bags that will definitely meet the airline requirements? There are some great deals on good luggage at places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx (you could definitely get two suitcases there for less than $700--probably for less than $200).

I have my own rule of thumb on luggage....the more inexpensive, the more that things "stick out" and make them oversize. Wheels, handles, feet. It costs more to make them "internal" and it's cheaper to just bolt them on. If you are having trouble measuring, it probably is over the 62 inch total allowance. Also, you're probably going to be over the 50 pound per piece limit. DL will measure, and they are in an enforcement mood, from accounts I'm getting. People are trying to go to one overstuffed bag to avoid a second bag charge and DL is nabbing them. My last DL flight was out of MIA, and they were racking up the fees on cruisers that day.

A bulging bag is like waving a red flag in front of the bull.

BTW, did you have knowledge of the size requirements of DL before you bought the luggage??

It really all depends on where you start and how good of a mood that the person lugging the bag from you at the counter to the bag belt is that day. Smaller airports are less likely to get out and measure, but if the bag looks bulging and close to the 50 lbs, they will be more likely to check everything (as said before). I'm also trying to get people to pay attention to the WEIGHT of a carry-on also, because there are rumors that scales are coming to the gate areas to weigh them to make sure they are under the 40 lbs. From my experience at our station (will vary from place to place), if its close and under 45lbs, we just send it on down the belt. FlyerTalker's signature basically sums it up though.

Archived