does carnival pack lunch boxes for tours?

pbc1

I've never heard of this happening. I tend to eat a big breakfast before leaving the ship. Some of the ports have all inclusive resorts for a good price, that would allow you to try some of the local food, and of course, all you can drink.;) At the cruiseline operated ports, your food is provided for you.

We took a tour in Caracas, which included a meal. During the tour, we were taken to a resort in the mountains and were served a nice local chicken meal cafeteria style.

Fasinating read here, and full of good intentions. However, not a word about the actual laws. Yes, Carnival rules say you can bring nothing (at least, that is what I gather from this post). That makes it easy. However the laws of different countries allow many different things. For example, it is quite legal to bring fresh fish into the US and I have done it on many occasions. Cheeses are commonly ok. Many foods are legal to bring in. Often you need to check with Agriculture as you arrive at customs. Maybe it would be useful to actually look for the prohibitions before everyone predicts the end of the world here.

Besides being illegal I wouldn't want to eat a BLT that has been bouncing along in a backpack for a few hours in heat and humidity. Food poisoning is not any fun. I wouldn't want to eat bruised or smashed fruit either. I research safe yummy food on shore or go back to the ship to eat. Most excursions that are lengthy provide some type of food and you can always take a packaged power bar if you really want to.

Fasinating read here, and full of good intentions. However, not a word about the actual laws. Yes, Carnival rules say you can bring nothing (at least, that is what I gather from this post). That makes it easy. However the laws of different countries allow many different things. For example, it is quite legal to bring fresh fish into the US and I have done it on many occasions. Cheeses are commonly ok. Many foods are legal to bring in. Often you need to check with Agriculture as you arrive at customs. Maybe it would be useful to actually look for the prohibitions before everyone predicts the end of the world here.

So, if the ship packs me a box lunch of "fresh" RAW fish and a block of cheese, I'm OK?:rolleyes:

Hmmm, the mouth waters...................

Dan

Besides being illegal I wouldn't want to eat a BLT that has been bouncing along in a backpack for a few hours in heat and humidity. Food poisoning is not any fun. I wouldn't want to eat bruised or smashed fruit either. I research safe yummy food on shore or go back to the ship to eat. Most excursions that are lengthy provide some type of food and you can always take a packaged power bar if you really want to.

Naw! Its never food poisoning, its ALWAYS that 'dreaded,' NORO!!!

Dan

. Maybe it would be useful to actually look for the prohibitions before everyone predicts the end of the world here.

Exactly! Everyone should look. isn't that the point?

Not only should everyone look, everyone should abide once they do look.

In the case of a cruise no looking needs to be done. It's simple. Nothing unpackaged comes off the ship. As for coming home, off the ship, the US customs papers give an entire list of what can't come into the country. It's pretty basic.

That was only my 14th post... and I think it might be my last!

Ahhh.........don't let them get to ya!

When you have many travel miles under your belt you learn alot of things that you were not aware of.........

This would be one of them.

I believe it is even listed in your capers that no food is allowed off the ships in port and many ports strictly enforce this.......

We never knew anything was wrong with what we did. No one said a thing and we did not take any fruit off the ship. If we were trying to hide our sandwiches we would have been smuggling.... I suppose :confused:

I wasn't trying to jump on you or accuse you of ANYTHING. But if you bring any kind of contraband into a country, knowingly OR NOT, you ARE smuggling.... in the real sense. Not like 'smuggling' booze aboard a ship.

Had you throughly read your Capers and/or closely listened to the PA announcements, or port talks. It was almost surely mentioned NOT to take food off the ship. That makes both of us bad, because I don't listen to the PA announcements at all.

Dan

This is the scoop....previously on threads like this, there were posters who disregarded the rules of not bringing food off the ship. Their ignorance (and that is exactly what it was) kinda leaves you a bit bitter. By ignorant I mean this, they were aware of the rules and broke them anyway.

why?

Because instead of being educated or trying to become a little educated, they take the stance that the cruise line is 'out to get them' by not allowing food off the ships.

Basically, they are too cheap to buy food in port. Most of these people scream about having a large family, "and why should we buy food in port if we paid for it on the ship!" (because God forbid the kids go a couple hours without somethign to eat)

If you did a search to find all the numerous threads about this subject over the years, you likely won't find any because I'd wager they've all been removed. But believe me, some people just don't get it.

Ok, now I am sure there are some who take food off the ship and honestly don't understand the ramifications...BUT they do announce it over the PA, they have signs as you leave the ship and it is posted every day in the Capers. I think most people who disregard the rule do see that this is a rule but just blow it off because they don't see it as a big deal.

Sometimes rules do seem silly, but people have to understand, they THEY don't always understand everything and that rules are usually in place for a good reason, not just to piss people off.

I hope this helps explain why people are indignant on some (or many) of these threads.

and fwiw, I believe all packaged foods are allowed off the ships.

LOL! You are one of the folks I think is a hoot halos! And a long winded hoot at that! Keep it coming there! :D

What an enlightened conversation! Obviously all are concerned about doing the right thing at all possible times. The rules and laws are posted for all to see and know.

I just pray that there are none here that are allowing their 18 month old to relieve themselves all day in the pools and, god forbid, the adults only ?, hot tubs. Any chair holders here? Buffet line crashers?

Methinks none are without transgressions, with or without prior knowledge. Those stones can hurt!;)

Baby pee pee in a pool that is emptied, cleaned and refilled daily is one thing.

Even drunken adult pee pee.

But introducing a new organism to an environment is vastly different. Right NOW, here in Florida we have 3 new diseases of citrus trees RAVAGING the orange groves. OVER one hundred MILLION orange trees have been uprooted and burned to stop the spread of one of them. Then the hurricanes spread the blight throughout the state. And there are 2 more diseases running wild, all heretofore UNKNOWN. Many many citrus companies have folded and many more will. Billions of dollars in profits, taxes, and wages, GONE.

It is not a joke.

Dan

Baby pee pee in a pool that is emptied, cleaned and refilled daily is one thing.

Even drunken adult pee pee.

But introducing a new organism to an environment is vastly different. Right NOW, here in Florida we have 3 new diseases of citrus trees RAVAGING the orange groves. OVER one hundred MILLION orange trees have been uprooted and burned to stop the spread of one of them. Then the hurricanes spread the blight throughout the state. And there are 2 more diseases running wild, all heretofore UNKNOWN. Many many citrus companies have folded and many more will. Billions of dollars in profits, taxes, and wages, GONE.

It is not a joke.

Dan

Oh I don't know, Dan, I guess some people really do think this is a joke; after all, what's the harm in bringing open food off the ship :rolleyes: I think packaged food shouldn't be allowed either...but that is another thread for another time...litterbugs :p

Why not just have a nice breakfast on the ship? When you go off the ship pick up a light snack food and bottled drink.

Unless I'm planning on enjoying some of the local eateries for the joy of the dining experience this is what I do.

If doing excursions, you really don't need to have a lot of food to to get you through until your back on board the ship. In my experience most excursions are better enjoyed without alot of food in my tummy.

Don't break the rules (laws) for the sake of dragging a sandwich around all day!

Exactly! Everyone should look. isn't that the point?

Not only should everyone look, everyone should abide once they do look.

In the case of a cruise no looking needs to be done. It's simple. Nothing unpackaged comes off the ship. As for coming home, off the ship, the US customs papers give an entire list of what can't come into the country. It's pretty basic.

Wow, I don't even know how to feel about this anymore. I guess humiliated and ashamed and regretful. I can take my lumps, admit I was wrong and learn from my mistakes. Please though, don't assume I am a stupid, rule breaking "bitter" person. If I had done what I did covertly, I would be apololgizing for that too. I really can't tell you why I didn't get that memo. Excited, overwhelmed with the kids, seriously out of it, I guess. What I did was stupid, I got it. I GOT IT. I truly hope that my actions did not cause any harm. That would make me sick. Sicker than I feel about this thread. Once and for all, please accept my apology, build a bridge, and get over it. I cannot undo the past.

Wow, I don't even know how to feel about this anymore. I guess humiliated and ashamed and regretful. I can take my lumps, admit I was wrong and learn from my mistakes. Please though, don't assume I am a stupid, rule breaking "bitter" person. If I had done what I did covertly, I would be apololgizing for that too. I really can't tell you why I didn't get that memo. Excited, overwhelmed with the kids, seriously out of it, I guess. What I did was stupid, I got it. I GOT IT. I truly hope that my actions did not cause any harm. That would make me sick. Sicker than I feel about this thread. Once and for all, please accept my apology, build a bridge, and get over it. I cannot undo the past.

I wasn't talking about you.....did you read my post about past threads?????

I specifically said that there are some that honestly might not know.

Good grief! I don't need nor do I require an apology. This board is to learn things and you did. Mission accomplished. Everyone makes mistake for goodness sake.

My remarks were always aimed at the people who know what they're doing is wrong but do it anyway. If I want to make a remark about you, I will quote a post of yours. Until then, I am not speaking about you.

Capice?

I wasn't talking about you.....did you read my post about past threads?????

I specifically said that there are some that honestly might not know.

Good grief! I don't need nor do I require an apology. This board is to learn things and you did. Mission accomplished. Everyone makes mistake for goodness sake.

My remarks were always aimed at the people who know what they're doing is wrong but do it anyway. If I want to make a remark about you, I will quote a post of yours. Until then, I am not speaking about you.

Capice?

I was speaking to everyone who posted threads saying it was "basic info and there is no way I couldn't have known". I thought you were in that group as well which is why I replied after reading your thread. Thanks for the grace and the clarification.

I was speaking to everyone who posted threads saying it was "basic info and there is no way I couldn't have known". I thought you were in that group as well which is why I replied after reading your thread. Thanks for the grace and the clarification.

Don't beat yourself up over this........not everyone is perfect (actually I have not come across anyone yet) and most people do learn from experience.......although some would never admit it;)

There definitely is enough mention of it on board that one should know, but I do understand how being on a ship...with all the excitement could make you miss it.

Don't worry about it anymore because now you do know. It's all good. :)

There definitely is enough mention of it on board that one should know, but I do understand how being on a ship...with all the excitement could make you miss it.

Don't worry about it anymore because now you do know. It's all good. :)

:othanks

:othanks

Hi Jane.....I think you've apologized about 4 or 5 times now....and you really never actually had anything to apologize for! What you did do was bring some conversation & awareness to an obviously sensitive and important topic. So....THANK YOU;)

Have a great weekend....and don't ever stop creating threads (you obviously know how to incite reactions)!

Hi Jane.....I think you've apologized about 4 or 5 times now....and you really never actually had anything to apologize for! What you did do was bring some conversation & awareness to an obviously sensitive and important topic. So....THANK YOU;)

Have a great weekend....and don't ever stop creating threads (you obviously know how to incite reactions)!

Thanks JB! Your kind words mean a lot! :)

Funny thing is, I didn't start the thread, just answered the OP's question. Go figure :confused:

I did learn a lot, you're right there.

Hope you have a fabulous weekend as well!

Archived