San Diego Port ??

DEBCAT65

I asked the same question a few months back and was told about $10.

We are staying overnight at the downtown Westin and they have transportation from the airport to the hotel then will transport us to the cruise terminal the next day.

I am also told that SD is easy to sail out of as several lines use the docks regularly. Have a great cruise.

Taxi fare shouldn't be more than $10-$15. It's not very far from the airport to the terminal. San Diego is just about the greatest embarkation point ever. Hotels, restaurants, museums, etc. close by. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayfront pre-cruise and loved looking out our window and staring at the Spirit arriving in port. The sailaway from San Diego is great too. Nice skyline, lots of activity at the naval air station, cool views of Point Loma, lots of dolphins frolicking about and seals hanging out on the orange marker buoys marking the channel. You're gonna love it.

I've posted these pictures before, but they give you an idea of how close the airport is to the pier. Both are taken from the Holiday Inn on the Bay, which is across the street from the pier.

This one shows the airport. You can see the control tower to the left and there's a bright yellow plane (SouthWest's probably) in the center of the picture:

SanDiego.jpg?t=1235743771

This one shows the Spirit docking early in the morning:

Spiritinport.jpg?t=1235743986

I've posted these pictures before, but they give you an idea of how close the airport is to the pier. Both are taken from the Holiday Inn on the Bay, which is across the street from the pier.

This one shows the airport. You can see the control tower to the left and there's a bright yellow plane (SouthWest's probably) in the center of the picture:

Sandy, great pictures, really show how close/far things are.

Thanks

Laura

Ok.. since things are so close - how early would you schedule a flight from San Diego??? My options for non-stop are either 9:30 am or 1:30 pm.

THanks.

Take the 1:30pm flight. Even with the airport being extremely close, there is very little likelihood of you making a 9:30am flight.

Get a seat on the left side of the plane for the flight into San Diego. You'll have a great view of downtown and the harbor as you come into land.

Thanks for the tip. Your advice is always so helpful.

Debbi

Taxi fare shouldn't be more than $10-$15. It's not very far from the airport to the terminal. San Diego is just about the greatest embarkation point ever. Hotels, restaurants, museums, etc. close by. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayfront pre-cruise and loved looking out our window and staring at the Spirit arriving in port. The sailaway from San Diego is great too. Nice skyline, lots of activity at the naval air station, cool views of Point Loma, lots of dolphins frolicking about and seals hanging out on the orange marker buoys marking the channel. You're gonna love it.

Thank you! Will make sure to have the camera handy

Thanks Sandy. Great picture. I know that upon takeoff, the plane runs right off the runway, over the ocean. I've heard that San Diego is unique flying out of because of this.

Deb

Thanks Sandy. Great picture. I know that upon takeoff, the plane runs right off the runway, over the ocean. I've heard that San Diego is unique flying out of because of this.

The end of the runway in San Diego is not on the ocean. It's at the edge of the Loma Portal neighborhood in San Diego. After takeoff, you fly over this part of the city before reaching the ocean.

You may be thinking of LAX. The ends of the runways there are closer to the ocean, but there's still a bit of land before you reach the beach.

Archived