Celebrity eclipse or oceania regatta for baltic cruise?

pacheco18

I know it's apples to oranges, but I am going to book a Baltic Cruise for June 2010 on either the new Eclipse or Oceania Regatta. I have booked cruises on both of these lines but have not yet sailed so I would like some advice from all the experienced cruisers out there.

Thanks

I much prefer European sailings on a smaller ship: less crowding, open dining, no formal nights, more personalized. Therefore, my recommendation for theBaltics would be either Oceania or Azamara.

Azamara is the smaller ship line for Celebrity so you'd have the best of both.

One issue regarding St. Petersburg: If on Regatta, there is a *chance* that you will dock at the English Dock on the Neva River near the Hermitage. If on a larger ship, you will definitely dock in the industrial area a few of miles away.

We visited on the Insignia and ended up in the industrial area because another (small) ship was already docked at the English Dock.

Unless you have a Russian visa, you won't be able to just get off and walk around ... you must be on a ship or private tour.

The difference is that the view(s) while at the English Dock is nice, as opposed to looking at cranes and containers.

Now convinced that a smaller ship would be better so it's between Azamara and Oceania.

Azamara spends 3 full days in St. Petersburg. Do I want that?

Laraine

We were in St. Petersburg for 2 days, and I easily could have spent 3 days there.

Archived