Need help from morning cruisers

peg3632

I'm leaving for my cruise in 9 days and I need help with a problem. I am a morning person. I get up at 5AM, ready to enjoy my coffee, read the paper and make my plans for the day. This works out great for me since I work. I don't even need an alarm clock. The problem is cruising. I'm ready for bed at 9PM. How can I change my inside clock to sleep later and stay up longer? Please help.

I'm leaving for my cruise in 9 days and I need help with a problem. I am a morning person. I get up at 5AM, ready to enjoy my coffee, read the paper and make my plans for the day. This works out great for me since I work. I don't even need an alarm clock. The problem is cruising. I'm ready for bed at 9PM. How can I change my inside clock to sleep later and stay up longer? Please help.

My husband makes fun of me because I go to bed so early (sometimes 9:00pm)at home and I keep talking all big saying I'm gonna partaay all night on the cruise!! What is a gal to do?!?!?!:D

I am also a morning person and I really enjoy that period of time in the morning where the ship is nice and quiet. I like to go to the gym as soon as it opens, get a nice workout in, walk a few laps around the Panorama deck after my workout, grab something to eat from the Lido buffet, head back to my balcony to enjoy a nice breakfast.

I am the same so when I cruise a afternoon nap before dinner energises me to stay up a bit longer

I am up for work every day at 5:00...so I understand how you are ready to go so early. A couple of days before your cruise, try to make your self stay up a little later. Then try to stay in bed a little longer. Then the next day, do the same thing only push for a little bit later...hopefully within a couple of days you can adjust your internal clock a little bit. Good Luck!!

Don't "spring forward" your clocks until you get to the ship - that will keep your body going to bed at your usual 9:00 p.m. (actually 10:00 Missouri time and 11:00 ship time - just remember to add an hour so you are not actually late for work) then when you get to Florida you will gain an extra two hours on your body clock. Might work!

Shelley

My "normal" day is 5:00 Am to 10:30 PM. Even up at that time on weekends. when on a cruise, we make it a habit to take an afternoon nap. This keeps me going until midnight if necessary!

Downside is: Once back in the real world at work after a cruise, I get real sleepy in the afternoon until I get my internal clock reset!

I'm an early to bed and early to rise person also. I don't try to change this for my cruises. If I stay up later I still wake up early so that defeats the purpose-just makes me really tired-and I don't nap during the day. I love being up early to watch the sun rise over the water while having coffee on the balcony. I'm in bed no later than 11 and most times earlier than that and have never felt that I missed anything by not staying up later.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I vaguely remember my high school and college days when I could be up about 30 something hours, then get a few hours sleep and go again. Now, I'd have a brain hemmorage if I tried that!!!

I am a 5AM riser, and a few nights a week, due to extra employment, don't get home and in bed till about midnight. By the weekend, I have the attention span of roadkill...

Some of it just has to do with age, but my DW and I were able to "condition" ourselves a little for our last cruise. I took a few days vacation before we left, and MADE myself stay up late. When we got to the hotel, we went cruising the town or meeting people to stay up with.

On the boat, we took a couple of power naps on sea days to help us last a little later.

Depending on your age, the preparation may take longer, and longer, and longer, etc... So just do what you can, and have a blast while you are awake!

You only live once so stay up its only a seven day cruise.:D:D:D Just think at 4 am no lines any where.

there are lines at pizza. always have staff up there at that hour, some customers. we stay up too late when we cruise. up early for breakfast and a mid afternoon nap is key.

atr

I don't think you will have any problem. There are so many activities in the evening to keep you interested and alert.

I'm a morning person too, but typically on a cruise I'm up until at least midnight, then sleeping until 6:30 or so instead of my usual 5am wakeup.

I have a problem turning my schedule back around when I get home!!!!!

I am the same, but honestly I don't fight it. I do try to get a nap in most days. But I just go with the flow, and if that means I am out for the count at 10pm, then I am. I would rather be well rested, than grumpy from trying to change my internal clock! I would suggest you have a great time and enjoy yourself!

I work Graveyards and go to bed at 4pm normally......I just force my self to stay awake until 10 or 11 if you wake up early just take a nap during the day....My biggest problem is turning my clock around when i go back to work.......

Don't change anything. Just cruise with my sister. After dinner on the 2nd night (we were both tired on the first) we went back to our cabin. I went out on the balcony for a smoke and when I came back in she had on her pajamas. I yelled at her, "PAJAMAS!" Then she looked like she might cry so I put on my pajamas. It wouldn't have been so bad if she had wanted to get up early. I had to slam the door or flush the toilet to get her up! We were compatable in most every other way.

I am a morning person as well, but my soon to be 11 yo daughter is a night owl. Cruises are fun for us - I am up at 5, with room service delivering coffee at 5:15...She then sleeps until 8 or so and we get ready and go to breakfast...She swims all day long, I sit out and read...We have lunch, hang out at the pool some more, and then back to the cabin, where I nap and she watches a movie or reads. Then a quick shower to wake up, and off to dinner and evening activities...

I never fight it if I am tired - I tell her it is time to go back to the cabin for the evening. No sense being so exhausted trying to have fun that you aren't really having any. :rolleyes:

Leave from San Juan, you're internal clock will tell you it's 5:00 when in reality it's 8:00. When you think it's 9:00 it's actually midnight. Cruise from Italy and you'll REALLY be a party animal.

Just what time zone do you think San Juan is in? :confused:

I am an early riser, regardless of where I am. Love the early morning on the ship. I've always struggled to stay up for late evening activities. On our recent cruise, had late seating for the first time. Dreaded it. The first night, dinner seemed ridiculously late. But quickly adjusted. You stand up from dinner at 10:00pm, and going to bed just seems silly. Ordered a cappacino for dessert, and then off to the late shows.

Archived