4 in a room on the Dawn?

paulekrause

Booking the Dawn tomorrow for a July to Bermuda. Been on her before with my wife. This time taking my 2 boys along so there will be 4 of us. My boys are 21 and 16.

How does the Dawn fit 4 in an ocean view stateroom? Pull down beds? A cot and a pull down? Some other configuration? Will it be too tight or should I scrape up the difference for a mini suite (not sure my budget can handle that).

Regular balconies on the Dawn only take up to 3 people so it has to be an ocean view or mini suite.

My TA is holding one of each type room but I need to let him know soon.?

Thanks,

Paul

the fours on the Dawn consist of two regular beds a Pullman bed that collapses down from the wall and a fourth bed called a trundle bed that comes out from under one of the regular floor beds to form one giant bed across the room. I hate the trundle bed. I have only slept on it for one night and it is by far the worst bed that I have ever slept on(worse than an army cot and not better than the floor)....IMO of course.

The normal set up for the 4 beds is three across on the floor (wall-to-wall) and the one bunk bed attached to the wall (ladder is in the closet).

Here is a link to a picture of a different layout that looks more useable to me. Most stewards won't know about this variation, so if you like it, print out the pictures and take them with you to help explain what you want.

http://community.webshots.com/album/558597829kgXIWy

What is the price difference if you get 2 insides OR a OV and inside or even a balcony and an inside across? Your kids are older the bunk or trundle may not work. The sofa bed in a minisuite may be too small for both of them to be comfortable. Check it out- 2 insides might be better. Good luck with your decision.

Here is a link to a picture of a different layout that looks more useable to me. Most stewards won't know about this variation, so if you like it, print out the pictures and take them with you to help explain what you want.

http://community.webshots.com/album/558597829kgXIWy

Very smart layout! Much more functional.

But I agree, that two inside or OV cabins might work out better for the OP. It's not like the two boys are under the age of 10. But if you do end up with four of you in a cabin, the boys might consider showering at the spa if you all are trying to get ready for dinner or something else at the same time.

I know that we are asking about a outside, however for those that may be wondering about the inside cabins. Dont do it! We Came off the Dawn and had a inside for us and our 5 and 3 year old. Our kids were small, but the room was way to small for all of us. I hated it! My inlaws had a exterior and the amount of room was so much more, we would have had no problems with there cabin. (which we were very upset that we didnt get, but our travel agent said there were no qaud cabins left in outside, yet she put them in a quad)

We had been on the Carnival glory the month prior, in a inside room for 4, on that ship we had no problems at all, the room was larger and a much better configutation. (bunks came down out of ceiling, giving a extra foot of head room).

I know that we are asking about a outside, however for those that may be wondering about the inside cabins. Dont do it! We Came off the Dawn and had a inside for us and our 5 and 3 year old. Our kids were small, but the room was way to small for all of us. I hated it! My inlaws had a exterior and the amount of room was so much more, we would have had no problems with there cabin. (which we were very upset that we didnt get, but our travel agent said there were no qaud cabins left in outside, yet she put them in a quad)

We had been on the Carnival glory the month prior, in a inside room for 4, on that ship we had no problems at all, the room was larger and a much better configutation. (bunks came down out of ceiling, giving a extra foot of head room).

What you are calling an outside, is either an oceanview or balcony. Most OVs and insides are exactly the same size (on the same ship, on the same floor) with the window being the only difference. Now, layout can make a huge difference. We travel with our DS, who is 7 now. The three of us are fine in an inside, even with all the stuff. I would think another little one would be doable in the same cabins we've had, but I think it would get more difficult with teenagers and older.

On Dawn, the info says insides are 145 sq ft, ocean views 166 sq ft, balconies 166 plus 39 sq ft balcony.

I really like that configuration in the photo. Is the trundle taken out from under one bed and placed at the heads? That way everyone has a place to put his feet to get out of the bed (well, a ladder for the pullman). In the room we had, I don't think that would have been possible because there was only about 18 inches between the foot of the bed and the vanity. Ours was an inside, so maybe it works better in an outside, although I didn't see a window in the photo, so don't know.

Have always gotten a quad with our family of four. Two boys and my husband and I. Never had a problem. Even when the two were 6 foot teenagers. Tight, but boys are easy. Showered and ready for dinner in 5 minutes flat leaving the cabin for Mama. Worth saving the money to spend on shore excursions!

The cabins on the Dawn are small. You will be squished, not to mention the lack of privacy, and four people sharing one tiny bathroom.

It could be a loooong week. There will be no floor space once the beds are all set up, and you will need to climb over someone to get from the bed to the bathroom.

When we cruised on the with our sons when they were 16 and 18, we booked two inside cabins. One for us, and one for them. It cost a little more, but was money well spent,

On Dawn, the info says insides are 145 sq ft, ocean views 166 sq ft, balconies 166 plus 39 sq ft balcony.

I really like that configuration in the photo. Is the trundle taken out from under one bed and placed at the heads? That way everyone has a place to put his feet to get out of the bed (well, a ladder for the pullman). In the room we had, I don't think that would have been possible because there was only about 18 inches between the foot of the bed and the vanity. Ours was an inside, so maybe it works better in an outside, although I didn't see a window in the photo, so don't know.

To do this arrangement, the small table and chair have to be removed from the cabin or re-arranged.

We are going July 26. The $99 is only on certain sailings and ships. For this cruise the additional price we paid was $349 for the 3rd and 4th and I noticed today it went up to $379 for those booking now. After March 15, the promotion ends.

Archived