Keeping kids from opening cabin door

2910car

We are travelling with our six small grandchildren who will have connecting rooms with their prents. My daughter is afraid her children will open the outside door of their cabin and escape while the parents are sleeping in the adjoining cabin. What can I tell her to calm her fears? Thanks.

There is a deadbolt on the door of most cabins that we have ever been in. Do her kids wake up at home and escape out of the house? ;)

I have only seen one past report of a little houdini walking out of the door. But it was during the daytime. And the parents were soon following.

If it really scares her, tell her to throw a chair in front of the door. But unless the child has some medical concerns, I wouldn't worry about it.

(I know that some of my friends with autistic children do need to block the doors in their homes and in hotel rooms because the children do try to walk out)

There is a deadbolt on the door of most cabins that we have ever been in. Do her kids wake up at home and escape out of the house? ;)

I have only seen one past report of a little houdini walking out of the door. But it was during the daytime. And the parents were soon following.

If it really scares her, tell her to throw a chair in front of the door. But unless the child has some medical concerns, I wouldn't worry about it.

(I know that some of my friends with autistic children do need to block the doors in their homes and in hotel rooms because the children do try to walk out)

Tell her I would be more worried about the bathroom door slamming on their little fingers. My son had this happen in December and he lost finger nails and had bruises for months.

• 2 weeks later...

We put a suitcase in front of the door at night. DS was 27 months on our last cruise and could open the cabin door. The doors open with a handle bar that he could easily grab and pull. The deadbolt unlocks when the handle is pulled. It is not like you have to unlock the door then pull the handle.

This is what we used on our last cruise and it worked out great. We found it at our local Walmart.

http://www.defensedevices.com/portable-door-lock.html

Both my 3 year old and my 18 month old were able to get out the doors (deadbolt came undone when you tried to open the door). I would suggest getting more than one - we needed it for the regular door and the adjoining door (and there's always the bathroom door, but that would get way too annoying!) If you don't have someone adjoining with you, those doors would be locked. But, my parents were in the adjoining room and there was no way to lock wither door. My kids could just walk in on them when the felt like it!

Archived