Tours in Huatulco

davidnsteph

We just reserved a tour in Huatulco, through Princess, for the mountain bike excursion. I would love to get some feedback from anyone who has done this.

Thanks a bunch.

I will be in Huatulco next week, sailing on the Mercury. One of the tours Celebrity has is a tour to an archeological site. I think it's funny that they charge $5 extra if you want to take pictures! Has anyone done this and if so, did you see any pyramids? I have always wanted to see "Indiana Jones" type of ruins with pyramids, burial sites, etc, although I realize that it's Hollywood, and this site probably isn't even close to the crystal skull movie.

Thanks for all of the previous info. It is very helpful to this "first timer!"

We are doing the day pass at the Barcelo resort...they say it's aobut 10 mins away from the pier.

Anyone know what the taxi's charge? I have 8 people in my group and trying to decide between 3 taxi's and a van with driver.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for sharing ideas on Huatulco. This was a beautiful port. We went white-water rafting on the Copalita River on the Huatulco River Float excursion. We paddled and floated along. There were no serious rapids on this excursion, just class 1-1.5 rapids. There were beautiful views of the southern Sierra Madre mountains from the river, and plenty of interesting birdlife, like Kingfishers, Ibises, Herons, Orioles and others. We ended up at the mouth of the river in a sheltered cove near the Pacific Ocean with large waves breaking 50 feet away. This was just prior to the flu outbreak in Mexico, and we felt fortunate to visit this unique port.

We would definitely recommend this tour. It was good exercise, and we saw beautiful scenery.

DavidnSteph

Well....we HAD a wonderful day planned at the Barcelo Resort. However...half my group caught a cold, so we ended up not going.

But next time in Huatulco, I can assure you that I will try the Barcelo again. Miguel was my contact there and he was fantastic. Answered all emails promptly and was kind and courteous. He was also more that understanding about our having to cancel.

If you want to book things in Huatulco, he is the man to talk to:

Miguel Zamora his email is zamto at hotmail dot com

We ended up taking a taxi ($3) to the town and walked around. Bought some trinkets...same trinkets, clothing and booze as at the port just about 1/2 the price. The folks at the pier were pretty firm on prices, but the folks in the town around the square were MORE than happy to negotiate. The real hard price seems to be about 1/2 of what they quote you to start.

The pier is very nice and an easy walk from the ship. There is a nice free beach and plenty of places to sit under an umbrella for a fee. Drinks, eats, trinkets...the usual fare.

Archived