Tours in Huatulco

davidnsteph

We will be stopping in Huatulco on the Coral Princess in April. We would appreciate feedback from anyone who has taken either the Huatulco Sail & Swim or the Huatulco River Float tour.

If you have done any of these tours, how did you like it? Anything especially enjoyable or unpleasant?

Any input is appreciated.:)

DavidnSteph

I am jealous.:rolleyes:

After seeing a special on the Travel Channel about Huatulco we were all primed for a great port only to find that Princess had cancelled Huatulco (/13/09) for our cruise and several more cruises with no apparent reason.:(

Mike:)

I am jealous.:rolleyes:

After seeing a special on the Travel Channel about Huatulco we were all primed for a great port only to find that Princess had cancelled Huatulco (/13/09) for our cruise and several more cruises with no apparent reason.:(

Mike:)

Sorry to hear about that.:( I recall reading about this on some of the boards for several cruises.

DavidnSteph

We were there in January on the Coral Princess and just did the Highlights of Huatulco....candidly Hutatuclo was the low light of our cruise. Having said that, it is an opportunity to see a resort in its infantcy. But if we were there again I would do somethng like snorkeling or sailing or realy get adventurous like staying aboard and booking some pool time.:)

We were there in January on the Coral Princess and just did the Highlights of Huatulco....candidly Hutatuclo was the low light of our cruise. Having said that, it is an opportunity to see a resort in its infantcy. But if we were there again I would do somethng like snorkeling or sailing or realy get adventurous like staying aboard and booking some pool time.:)

Thanks for sharing your impression of Huatulco.:)

DavidnSteph

WE visited Huatulco in January of 2007; and, enjoyed its low-key environment. We simply walked through the town, and then went over the hill a couple of miles to the next bay over from the port. There were several simple cafes on the sand where we just sat under the canopy, sipping a couple of inexpensive beers. We then negotiated with one of palapa (small boat) operators to take us back to the cruise dock. I think we paid $5 for two people (plus we gave him a couple of bucks as a tip). Nice views of the town from the hill. We did pass a military installation with armed guys guarding the site. No problem from them, however. You can rent snorkel gear on the beach where we spent our time. There are also plenty of cabs if you want to NOT walk in either direction.

The weather will be warm in April.

We will be stopping in Huatulco on the Coral Princess in April. We would appreciate feedback from anyone who has taken either the Huatulco Sail & Swim or the Huatulco River Float tour.

If you have done any of these tours, how did you like it? Anything especially enjoyable or unpleasant?

DavidnSteph

We are going to be on the Coral Princess March 9 and we will also be stopping at Huatulco.

We spent a week in Huatulco over New Year's. We had a good time snorkeling with Hurricane Divers. I don't think there would be sufficient time to book a tour through them. There are a lot of small boat operators located at the pier who are willing to take you snorkeling or for Bay tours. Many boat operators also are willing to take you deep sea fishing. We were offered different tours for $40-$50 per hour. You can take a taxi to the next town for a few dollars.

If you want to shop at a market for some crafts, black pottery which they are well known for, and your usual t-shirts, you can go to La Crucecita.

It is an extremely safe place to travel.

When we go if a few weeks, we will probably take a boat or taxi to La Entrega beach for a bit of swimming and snorkeling because we will only be there for a few hours. This will only cost a few dollars.:rolleyes:

I understand that there is a very nice beach right at the pier. Can anyone tell me more about this beach? Is there good snorkeling and swimmng there? Are there any rentals such as snorkel equipment, sailboats, other watersports? Are there lounge chair and umbrellas?

What about shops around the pier area? Are there any? I am thinking of just spending the day there.

Thank you, Jeff in Torrance and Cayoooga, for sharing that. Sounds like a low-key place, compared to other ports in the Mexican Riviera.

rjack22, that sounds like a good idea. This will be our first time at Huatulco. We are in port for about 5 hours. Since we haven't done a rafting trip on a cruise, the Huatulco River Float looks appealing.

DavidnSteph

I understand that there is a very nice beach right at the pier. Can anyone tell me more about this beach? Is there good snorkeling and swimmng there? Are there any rentals such as snorkel equipment, sailboats, other watersports? Are there lounge chair and umbrellas?

What about shops around the pier area? Are there any? I am thinking of just spending the day there.

:confused: Gosh, we'd also like to know!

Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

DavidnSteph

We have been to Huatulco 3 times on a cruise ship. The first time we did the River float trip and enjoyed it. Nice realaxing ride down the river. 2nd time we did the RURAL COMMUNITIES & TRADITIONS tour and also enjoyed that one. 3rd time we just walked around town...easy to get around. When in April will you be there...we will be back in Huatulco on May 1.

We have been to Huatulco 3 times on a cruise ship. The first time we did the River float trip and enjoyed it. Nice realaxing ride down the river. 2nd time we did the RURAL COMMUNITIES & TRADITIONS tour and also enjoyed that one. 3rd time we just walked around town...easy to get around. When in April will you be there...we will be back in Huatulco on May 1.

Hello JoyceC,

Thanks for sharing your experiences in Huatulco. We will be there on April 22.

We're glad you mentioned that the River Float was a nice relaxing ride. We look forward to trying this.

DavidnSteph

We just got back yesterday from a cruise where we stopped here. The beach is right by the pier and has some covered areas to sip a cocktail. There is a market area which is a short walk from the pier area. We did a city tour which was wonderful with a private driver. It was one of my favorite stops! This is a wondeful port that has not been ruined by develpment yet. They are fighting to keep the natural beauty of the area and are putting in the infrastructure and trying to learn from the mistakes of Cancun, Aculpulco and Cabo in how to develop the area. They will not allow any of the "american" companies right now. No Pizza Hut, Dominos, McDonalds ect...I hope they can keep it this way. We went to a weaving shop, tried mescal and mole and drove through the new neighborhoods going up. Enjoy your time here, it is only a matter of time before it is developed.

We just got back yesterday from a cruise where we stopped here. The beach is right by the pier and has some covered areas to sip a cocktail. There is a market area which is a short walk from the pier area. We did a city tour which was wonderful with a private driver. It was one of my favorite stops! This is a wondeful port that has not been ruined by develpment yet. They are fighting to keep the natural beauty of the area and are putting in the infrastructure and trying to learn from the mistakes of Cancun, Aculpulco and Cabo in how to develop the area. They will not allow any of the "american" companies right now. No Pizza Hut, Dominos, McDonalds ect...I hope they can keep it this way. We went to a weaving shop, tried mescal and mole and drove through the new neighborhoods going up. Enjoy your time here, it is only a matter of time before it is developed.

Thanks for posting your comments about this stop. The itineraries of our cruises must be similar. Our cruise will be on the Coral Princess from FLL to LA through the Panama Canal. Between Puerto Caldera, Costa Rice and Huatulco we have stops in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua (we will walk the town here and maybe go to the beach) and Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (staying in port area here, too).

Sounds like you had a great cruise.:)

DavidnSteph

Thanks for posting your comments about this stop. The itineraries of our cruises must be similar. Our cruise will be on the Coral Princess from FLL to LA through the Panama Canal. Between Puerto Caldera, Costa Rice and Huatulco we have stops in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua (we will walk the town here and maybe go to the beach) and Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (staying in port area here, too).

Sounds like you had a great cruise.:)

DavidnSteph

Sounds like similar itineraries! I would have loved to stop in So America, but we did more Mexican Riviera ports. Our guide for Huatulco was Marcos Lopez. His english was perfect--I thought he had been educated in the states, but he just lived here for a couple of years, and he went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. If you are interested you can contact him at huatulco.tours@yahoo.com I wouldn't hesitate to recommend his services. He will make arrangements for any kind of tour that you are interested in.

We did the Sail and Swim through Princess last fall while in Huatulco. I would not do it again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

It was a small catamaran that was filled to capacity. The seating was those white plastic lawn chairs bolted to the boat. Every seat was taken and the boat was too small to move around, so you were basically just stuck in your seat the entire time. We did drive past all the different bays around Huatulco and it was beautiful. However, the guide stood in the front of the boat and gave his narration. He did not have any type of PA system so from our location we couldn't hear any of the information he was giving about the area. It was a long, slow ride to get to the bay where we eventually snorkelled.

Once we arrived in the bay where we anchored, it was absolutely gorgeous. I have no complaints about that. We were anchored close to shore, so you could swim to shore and walk or sit on the beach, which was nice.

While we were there, though, a water taxi came and dropped some of our fellow passengers off on the beach there and was going to pick them back up after a few hours.

Next time I would do that and forego the whole "sail" part of the excursion. I'm sure it would have been a lot less expensive and more comfortable than being stuck in a plastic lawn chair bolted shoulder to shoulder with other passengers.

Also, another reason we were excited for this tour is that it was touted as being a sailing experience. The boat ran on it's motor the entire time until just about maybe 1/2 an hour from returning to port, where they lifted up the sails and used them for a very short time. I think the only reason they did so was to fulfill the "sail" part of the snorkel and sail excursion.

If I had a chance to go back to Huatulco, I think I would either just spend my time at the beach right there in town which looked perfectly fine, or hire a water taxi to take us out to one of those secluded bays for awhile.

We did the Sail and Swim through Princess last fall while in Huatulco. I would not do it again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. ......

If I had a chance to go back to Huatulco, I think I would either just spend my time at the beach right there in town which looked perfectly fine, or hire a water taxi to take us out to one of those secluded bays for awhile.

Really appreciate this!!!! THANK YOU!

Sounds like similar itineraries! I would have loved to stop in So America, but we did more Mexican Riviera ports. Our guide for Huatulco was Marcos Lopez. His english was perfect--I thought he had been educated in the states, but he just lived here for a couple of years, and he went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. If you are interested you can contact him at huatulco.tours@yahoo.com I wouldn't hesitate to recommend his services. He will make arrangements for any kind of tour that you are interested in.

Thanks so much for this!! I'm still hoping for a leisurely resort day...but I'll see what they suggest!

Glad to help--Marcos was a lot of fun and I fell in love with this port. My mom left her camera in his car and he tracked us down at the pier to return it to her--waited for about 30-40 minutes to find us to make sure she had her pictures--I can't say enough good things about him~

I have even been trying to figure out how to go for a land vacation since getting back home. The bays are amazing and Marcos showed us where the locals were diving for lobster, and where they go and watch the whales migrating by the lighthouse. A day we will always remember! Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to help--Marcos was a lot of fun and I fell in love with this port. My mom left her camera in his car and he tracked us down at the pier to return it to her--waited for about 30-40 minutes to find us to make sure she had her pictures--I can't say enough good things about him~

I have even been trying to figure out how to go for a land vacation since getting back home. The bays are amazing and Marcos showed us where the locals were diving for lobster, and where they go and watch the whales migrating by the lighthouse. A day we will always remember! Have a great time.

Sounds amazing!!! I love lobster!!! Lets GOOOOOOOO :D

Hello...

One tour that never seems to get mentioned is taking a trip north to Mazunte, near Puerto Angel/Puerto Escondido. There is plenty of time in your five hour window. The road north, through jungle and native schrub is beautiful.

Mazunte is the home of Center Mexicana de la Tortuga, a turtle rescue, educational center...and so much more. It's beautiful location, right on the beach and bilingual educational displays make it a delight for adults and children. You see everything from huge sea turtles to tiny babies waiting for release. Some lovely art is displayed as well.

Directly adjacent is the Mexican version of the "Body Shop" where tropically scented oils and lotions are sold for the benefit of the community. I love them personally and like to purchase them for gifts. Mazunte residents used to make their living in the "turtle trade". They've now become an ecological center for protection of sea turtles and their operation is very impressive.

The town...and Puerto Angel are both very quaint and we enjoyed a seafood lunch under a palapa right on the beach. We didn't think to take suits, but this would have been a perfect place for a swim.

We had time to make a stop at the little town (La Cruecita?) near the ship's dock and were more than satisfied with our day.

We grabbed a taxi in port; arrangements could be made with one of the tour guides mentioned on this thread.

If you go, enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Archived