safety concerns

goldenpup

I keep reading about how unsafe it is in Santo Domingo. We are flying into Santo Domingo and leaving the next day on a cruise. When we return 7 days later at early morning back to Santo Domingo we don't leave until 2am .... Does anyone have any experience with the following?

1) Safe transport (especially for females) from the airport to and from a hotel in Santo Domingo?

2) Is there a way to arrange advance transportation to and from airport to hotel?

3) What recommendations do you have for daytime activities until we have to leave to the airport for a 2am flight?

Any help that you can offer would be appreciated. We are getting a bit concerned about our safety in Santo Domingo, but want to be able to enjoy ourselves.

Thanks.

I keep reading about how unsafe it is in Santo Domingo. We are flying into Santo Domingo and leaving the next day on a cruise. When we return 7 days later at early morning back to Santo Domingo we don't leave until 2am .... Does anyone have any experience with the following?

1) Safe transport (especially for females) from the airport to and from a hotel in Santo Domingo?

2) Is there a way to arrange advance transportation to and from airport to hotel?

3) What recommendations do you have for daytime activities until we have to leave to the airport for a 2am flight?

Any help that you can offer would be appreciated. We are getting a bit concerned about our safety in Santo Domingo, but want to be able to enjoy ourselves.

Thanks.

I have flown into Santo Domingo a couple of time and stayed at all inclusives in Boca Chica and Juan Dolio, about 20 miles from the airport.

Also stayed once at a Comfort Inn near the airport in an industrial park called the Las Americas Free Zone. I felt safe inside the gated area of the hotel but would not wander outside the area. (Airline send us there when our flight was cancelled)

I like the Dominican Republic and the Dominican people, however, that being said......

You are correct to be concerned about safety around Santo Doming. Petty crime against tourists is not uncommon. However if you follow a few guidlelines you should be fine.

Pre-arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel. You should be able to arrange transfers through the cruise line. oR call or email the hotel.

Do not wander about on your own, especially at night. Hire a guide or take an organized tour.

Here is the link to Debbies Dominican Travel Page. You may find ideas about

ground transportation or or accomodations.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Archived