New Boarding Info

k2

We experienced the delays and lines, not only getting on and off the ship, but in the airports as well.

It's a part of our world now folks, and if you don't what to have your fingerprints taken, then don't travel to the US. Over 3000 people lost their lives because of poor security, I don't want to see us loose anymore.

I'm standing in line this month and again in March. I'm sure it will be a long line, but then it's time to party!

Could someone tell me if all non-US citizens are being fingerprinted and photographed? I have a security clearance where I work, so obviously have a clean background. But I'm not too wild about being fingerprinted. It's bad enough that I have to relinquish my passport for the duration. How do other non-US cruisers feel about this? And yes - I realize this is not within the control of the cruiselines.

Beth

Beth, Canadian citizens are exempt (for now) but we still use the same non-US line so that's where the delays happen. We cross the border at Detroit regularly so we've kept up with the process as they've rolled it out. It's been in the papers a lot lately. It just started here in mid November and we've been over a few times and no greater delays than normal. It only seems to be causing delays in Miami so far, as far as seaports go. It doesn't seem to have been implemented at the other ports yet from what I've been reading and I sure am hoping it won't be started at Port Everglades Dec 1:) as I'd really like to make that 12:15 flight home on the 18th. C'est la vie.

Thanks for the info goodml. I haven't crossed the border since last July and so much has changed since then. It looks like I won't be able to avoid the lines since my next cruise is out of Miami. As long as I'm prepared for the wait, it's OK. I can deal with it.

Beth

Keep your eye on the immigration agents in the US line and smile if they're not busy:D . One of the posts that I read about one of RCCL ships (sorry can't remember which one) sailing from Miami said that when the US line was empty and the other was really backed up the immigration agents walked down the line and asked for Canadians to go to the other line. Maybe you'll get lucky!

In response to the poster who asked what other non-US nationals think, I think it's a pain in the bum, but I understand why it has to be done so I guess I will just grin and bear it. As Australians we are well used to going through rigamarole whenever we travel as no other country borders our country so we have to go through this wherever we travel. The fingerprinting part is new, but oh well, I have nothing too nasty on my record so I don't care. I just hope to get my jetlagged body through the tedium as quickly as possible. As for keeping passports on ships, I have never been on a cruise where we haven't had to have a passport and where the cruise line hasn't kept it. I think they need them to process all the port entry documentation. If anyone thinks this is all a pain, try travelling in Burma where they check everything a million times at every stop (domestic included) and they have no computers so everything is looked up and kept in ledgers.

Nosnobunny,

If you are a non-US citizen, are NOT a permanent resident (ie Green Card holder) of the United States or a citizen of Canada (who have different restrictions), then you will be fingerprinted and photographed everytime you enter the United States.

You can check the State Department website at http://www.state.gov

Michael

No comment on the new procedure about non-US entry...But why force the pax to remain on ship? When you get to an airport, you don't wait on the plane...the airlines want to refill it an get on with the next revenue moment.

Every port is different, but I would think getting folks off the ship should be priority. If some of them must be queued for additional clearance, do so in the terminal.

I know nothing moves quickly, and what corporation could ever try to guess what our government is going to do next....but I see this as a drop of the port authorities and cruiselines...they have simply enjoyed a painless (cheap) customs process for so many years, they neglected to plan and build properly for the future of today.

Yes, I just want to board early and not stand in any lines....

No comment on the new procedure about non-US entry...But why force the pax to remain on ship? When you get to an airport, you don't wait on the plane...the airlines want to refill it an get on with the next revenue moment.

Every port is different, but I would think getting folks off the ship should be priority. If some of them must be queued for additional clearance, do so in the terminal.

I know nothing moves quickly, and what corporation could ever try to guess what our government is going to do next....but I see this as a drop of the port authorities and cruiselines...they have simply enjoyed a painless (cheap) customs process for so many years, they neglected to plan and build properly for the future of today.

Yes, I just want to board early and not stand in any lines....

I'm sure RCCL wants everyone off their ship as soon as they can get off. The sooner everyone is off, the sooner everyone from the next cruise can come onboard and start spending their money on drinks. I would imagine that a few hours without selling profit-laden drinks 52 times a year multiplied by numerous ships would start cutting into Royal Caribbean's profit. That being the case, I would imagine Royal Caribbean would be investigating having a "holding area" of sorts for the debarking (and no longer paying) guests so that the the new (thirsty) guests with money in their pockets can board sooner. Until that happens, though, we'll just have to be patient when waiting to board (although how you can be patient when there's this big huge cruise ship staring at you is beyone me :) )

Lynne

The official web site doesn't list Fort Lauderdale or Port of the Everglades (same thing) as a US-Visit port (fingerprints, photos for non-citizens). I would assume that means embarkation is earlier?

So what time are people showing up to embark at Fort Lauderdale?

Lynne,

I like the idea of a customs/immigration area OFF the ship...then embarking passengers can get on faster!

Thanks

Belinda

The official web site doesn't list Fort Lauderdale or Port of the Everglades (same thing) as a US-Visit port (fingerprints, photos for non-citizens). I would assume that means embarkation is earlier?

So what time are people showing up to embark at Fort Lauderdale?

That's what I've been assuming too and hoping for the best (for me it's both embarkation and disembarkation!:) ). It appears that Port Everglades in NOT one of the 50 largest entry points and from what I've read that is what they are concentrating on for now. Read a Jewel review yesterday and they were at the pier at 11:30 and on by 11:45 so it's looking good for us. What will be will be!

My DH has been a green card holder since 1977. He has a passport that is expired. We have been told the green card is all he will need. We are going on the Navigator December 4.

Also, DH is Persian. He has no problem with any security hoops he has to jump through since he is right up there on the big time profile list. (He feels that any extra precautions that airports ect takes, makes it safe for us as well!) I was wondering if anyone else from middle eastern decent with a green card could give us a clue if we should bring anything else.

We have been waiting to take this cruise for many years! (We promised each other when we got that last child raised, it was our turn to have fun!) I just want to make sure we are on that cruise ship partaking in all that food without any last minute problems! :)

Archived