the dreaded bathing suit

schnoobie

I'm doing the virtual model now. What you need to do is click on an article of clothing you'd be interested in, and near the size choice is an option that says try on my virtual model. Then, you can choose to customize her. I measured myself as they suggested and the virtual model's body isnt' too far off of the way I look.

I really hate the whole thing. I'm 56 and shouldn't even be concerned about it at this point. Wonder if the previous generation felt as self conscious about their bodies as we do? I really would prefer candle light in the dressing rooms. Maybe pink walls. Kind of a dimmer, gentler effect....Anyone with me on this? lol

Probably not in the same way...Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 but I can't imagine a famous actress/model wearing size 12 today. Of course, you had to have big breasts back then and I find they are not so in now as when my mom was young. Remember, in the 1920s women were supposed to be stick straight like boys and even bound their breasts.

Fashion is fickle I guess. :)

Probably not in the same way...Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 but I can't imagine a famous actress/model wearing size 12 today. Of course, you had to have big breasts back then and I find they are not so in now as when my mom was young. Remember, in the 1920s women were supposed to be stick straight like boys and even bound their breasts.

Fashion is fickle I guess. :)

A size 12 or 14 of the 50's isn't the same as it is today either.....I think that a modern size 8 is a vintage 12.

And. tastes do change. Look at pictures from the Vistorian ere and before. The models were downright fluffy!

Remember the wise words of Nora Ephron:

"What you most hate about your body in your thirties, you will be nostalgic for in your forties." :D

OMG, that is so true! When I was in my teens and early 20s I used to feel bad about my body because I was so thin (it didn't help that my Cuban aunts would constantly accuse my poor mom of not feeding me.), and had small boobs! In my 30s and 40s I felt ok about my body, but then MENOPAUSE did a number on me and now I'm, let's just say fluffy!;) Now, I wish I had my teens and 20s body back, heck I'd even settle for the 30s and 40s!:p Now, at 62, I just am happy that I am healthy, even if I am a little fluffy!

By the way, here are my haunts for bathing suit shopping:

* J.C. Pennys - the have a huge assortment of sizes and styles and they are really very fashionable, not 'dumpy'. Nice selection of coverups too.

* TJ Maxx and Marshalls have designer brands at great prices, and some really great coverups also.

* I also just got a "tankini" for the first time at Targets the other day. They had a really nice selection in the "Women's" dept. It is so cute, and as I was telling my SIL (who is going on her 1st cruise with us in April), I don't look too bad for an "old broad" in it. I actually feel presentable!;)

The real bottom line, is just go and have fun, we always think people are judging us (okay, well some are), but in fact most people could care less because they are worrying about how they look!

I told the SIL: "I won't be the sexiest in the bunch, but I won't be a DOG either!" LOL:D

I find that Women's bathing shorts are way too short for the amount of dimpled leg they need to cover, so I bought men's board shorts, and pared it with a contrasting tankini top from Lands End. Works great - plus men get those handy little pockets you can use to store your lip gloss.:D

What a great idea!!! I'm going to try that next!:D

By the way, in my previous post, I mentioned that I just got a really cute tankini at Targets. I forgot to mention that they are sold as separates, as are a lot of the swimsuits at J.C. Pennys. This is great, because it turns out I wear a bigger sized top than bottom, so I was able to get a really nice fit.

Love that men's board short idea. You could also wear the shorts with a cute t-shirt and you're set to go! I must go shopping this weekend!!!

Thanks to all the ladies on this tread for the great advice and support!:D

I just came across this one which looks super cute but is still conservative. I don't like my butt and thighs so I love the skirts. It helps that they are super cute too...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=349515&CategoryID=12426

or if you're a bit more daring with cleavage but want the tummy covered...these are cute but more modest...

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=352933&CategoryID=12420

Hey Lori, look at me, i'm finding other boards! There have been some great suggestions here. I agree with the Land's End comments and just found out that Sears, of all places, is carrying them. I like the long tops with the skirted bottoms. But like you I am busty and need support up top. I have found some with actual cup sizes like 34 DD with underwire. They are pretty expensive, though. None of this will matter when I hit Orient Beach and it all comes off, LOL (my friend is daring me to take something off there, but she will have to show me a suitcase with a million dollars in it first.)

Jenny

I just ordered a tankini top and nylon swim shorts from Lands' End. This is my first two-piece, and I got it mostly because I was interested in wearing shorts instead of a skirt or traditional (panty-style) bathing suit. I'm a plus-size gal, and I'm interested in knowing of any of you have ever had an issue with a tankini-style top "rolling up" on you? Do they have an elasticized bottom or some other means to keep them in place? I'm a little concerned that it might roll up because of my rounded belly. I figured I'd order it and try it on and if I wasn't sure it wouldn't roll or hike up, I'd just return it.

BTW, I love the idea of the longer board shorts, and wish I'd thought of them. Anybody know where I can find some in plus sizes?

I just ordered a tankini top and nylon swim shorts from Lands' End. This is my first two-piece, and I got it mostly because I was interested in wearing shorts instead of a skirt or traditional (panty-style) bathing suit. I'm a plus-size gal, and I'm interested in knowing of any of you have ever had an issue with a tankini-style top "rolling up" on you? Do they have an elasticized bottom or some other means to keep them in place? I'm a little concerned that it might roll up because of my rounded belly. I figured I'd order it and try it on and if I wasn't sure it wouldn't roll or hike up, I'd just return it.

BTW, I love the idea of the longer board shorts, and wish I'd thought of them. Anybody know where I can find some in plus sizes?

You can get them in the men's dept. TJ Maxx and Marshalls has lots of them!:D

I really hate the whole thing. I'm 56 and shouldn't even be concerned about it at this point. Wonder if the previous generation felt as self conscious about their bodies as we do? I really would prefer candle light in the dressing rooms. Maybe pink walls. Kind of a dimmer, gentler effect....Anyone with me on this? lol

Hi,:) I am 51 and I don't worry about it. I have had very good luck

with Kohl's. They have many different styles and sizes.

Found a 1 piece and tankini there last year. Covers what needs

to be covered and I feel quite comfortable in them.

And I wear a 16 so I am not a small person.

Unfortunately, the tankini tops can roll, especially if you have a "pouch" like me! I like the "blouson" type tankini tops, as they don't fit as tight around my middle, which prevents rolling too.

Oh me too!:) I love the blouson style and that is what I purchased:)

I've had no luck with the tankini tops - they ride up on me. Because finding bathing suits is so hard, I'm alway looking for one. I usually look for them at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I think I have about 6 suits now, but using the hot tub at the health club, they wear out fast.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking I may be returning the top, depending on whether I think it might roll up on me. Unfortunately it's not due to be shipped until mid-April, so I'll have to wait awhile. (Maybe someone should design a tankini-style two piece with snaps or velcro or something to keep the top and bottom in place...) Also, I'm going to look for the board shorts - they are such a great idea, for my particular type of "style".

I suppose I could wear a tankini top with a tee shirt over it - knotted so THAT doesn't ride up...

OOh, and I know I have a Marshall's near me, so maybe that's where I should start...

on the internet you can buy short skirts in bathing suit material, they are brightly coloured and some floral, slit up the side. Have a search on swim wear sites.

I got one that matched my bathing suit, I swam in it as well, it just covers nicely the parts you are worried about

:DThis may not work for all but this is what I do....I like a tankini suit since they are more comfortable than a one-piece for me. I bought a couple of black bottoms from Land's End that are high-waisted. Then I bought different tankini tops that overlap the bottoms, slightly...no skin in 'that' area showing for me!! :eek:.

I have several tops and a couple of bottoms to mix and match. I recently bought a red and white tankini top that is soooo cute and wore it with my black bottoms and my friends thought it looked great...and they would tell me!!!

I also wear a black sleeveless dress or a black skirt as a cover-up. Great to wear for shore excursions if you want to shop after snorkeling, etc. I'm not a fan of swim-suit cover-ups from the swim dept...never have found anything that doesn't scream that I bought it from there. I do occasionally wear a pareo tho...black, of course! :D

As someone said....after a couple of drinks, poolside...you'll feel just fine!:D

I love it!!! Not only skin tone but hairstyle, and even facial features.

I made my virtual model and I couldn't believe how much it looks like me.

Would either one of you ladies mind posting the website? I googled 'lands end' but I did not see an option to create your own model. Thanks

suggestions, solutions welcome here...

like to feel pretty, not frumpy but I don't have the body I'd like to have....

large bust, thick waist .....very depressing

Don't worry, just be confident. There are not really a lot of "Victorias Secret Models" on cruises. Most women are of very average or over average size. Just enjoy yourself. Remember this, most people are so worried about how THEY look that they are rarely looking at YOU!

I hate shopping for a swimsuit:p But I found one at Land's End that I ordered and just received it in the mail a couple of days ago - and I love it, even on my chubby lil' body!

Land's End has a virtual model that you can build according to your height and measurements. I made my model and tried various suits on her until I found one I liked. You can even match her skin tone to the one closest to you and see which colors look best. It really helped me and I love the suit I ended up with.

Help-which one did you order?

Hi, I am late to the conversation here! I just retired my two-pieces and have found "swimdresses." I will be sporting this one on my next cruise. My attitude will be Marilyn Monroe-ish! Believe it or not, it keep everything in, covers up the arse, lifts the girls and feels great around the waist when sitting down. The best part? The price. I could not believe such a well made suit came at that price. There are other great swimdresses on the site.

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=17299198&index=13&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=5961&category_id=5939&gp_fashcoll_id=5949

coka

Hi all,

I just got my swimsuit from Lands End. The reason I order with them is because you can return them to Sears stores. I usually order 5 or 6 suits, find a free shipping coupon, and try them all on when they arrive, and then return the ones that didn't work out to my local Sears store. I didn't see that anyone had mentioned you can do that so I thought I'd share :)

Archived