Anyone use the new TSA approved locks at airports??

PH8

Have you used these luggage locks and what was your experience with them???Did you have to remove them or not???? Which airports??

Thanks.............

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000  RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

Be aware that not every airport has keys to these new locks. I asked the TSA guys at my local airport (Raleigh, NC) last month and they didn't even know what I was talking about. DUH!

"To live on the land...we must learn from the sea"

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

We bought them at our local AAA office and plan to use them on our upcoming flight, from Dulles (Washington DC) to Orlando. Hoping all goes well them.

ConnieKDWitchTransp.gif

Viking Serenade 7/91

Enchantment of the Seas - Eastern 9/02

Enchantment of the Seas - Western 9/02

Voyager of the Seas 11/03

Brilliance of the Seas 11/03

Mariner of the Seas 5/04

Local TSA agents told us in March that they prefer the zip ties to any locks (including the new TSA approved locks) as if they need to open your luggage, they can cut your ties and replace it with one of their ties when they are finished. No chance of lock failure, etc. and thus no need to damage your locks!

Bruce

The one thing I'm curious about is how long til the wrong people end up w/ the master keys & start going thru luggage & taking things? You wouldn't know unless something was missing. At least w/ the cable ties, you know if there's a different color one or none at all that someone was in your luggage. I just wonder if some day that will turn into a problem.

Hi - we used the TSA locks in early April (Northwest - JFK/DTT/FLL and American - MIA/JFK) The ground crew said there would be no problem - they had all the keys & all went well with 3 of the 4 locks leaving from JFK - all of our bags ended up with TSA search stickers on them but the 4th bag was totally rifled through and the lock was missing. I was disappointed in this because even if they had to cut it, if I had gotten it back I would have been able to get a refund from Brookstone where I bought it.

The 3 surviving locks worked fine on the return flight. And I too am wondering how long before the other "guys" get the masters but for now they seem to be working okay.

igloo42

clingandclatter,

The places you have listed should have them. We have gone to purchasing the color ties at the various Dollar Stores in our area. Very cheap and they have proven to be just as durable for this purpose.

Bruce

Frankly I don't bother any longer. I simply carry any valuables with me. I prefer not to have my travel delayed because TSA wanted into my bag and couldnt do it. Plus if you get your bag back and the zip tie is different or missing, what are you going to do anyway?

If you feel you must use locks, most airports now ask you to accompany the bag thru the scan anyway, so if it needs unlocking they will bring the bag to you. After the scan, you can lock your bag and then TSA doesn't touch it again.

Hey Catnip...fellow Raleighite!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

I have used the locks in the Fort Lauderdale, Newark, Orlando, and Lagurdia airports. Not only have I not had any broken, but only one time one bag was opened, and the notice was inside, and the bag was relocked....Like most others, I grew up in a world where we didn't lock our doors at home, let alone your luggage. Unfortunately, we're not living in that world anymore. I feel it's way safer to lock your luggage, then to be naive to the fact that not everybody is so honest. Not only should you worry about your private property being taken, but also that something could be placed in your lugagge. The TSA can still access the bags, but the idiot that steals for a living, is going to pass up my bag with the locks on them, and go for an easier target.....probably the same target that was just pickpocketed by that person that just rammed into you cause they were going late for their flight.....

I agree with you Coopertan. But I will add that you should always assume that someone can get into your bag, so do not put anything you could not stand to lose in the checked bag, lock or not. Always put those items in your carry-on. Again, if you get your bag back with the lock cut off (very, very simple btw),what are you going to do?

I traveled 120k miles last year, and nothing missing from any luggage, even without locks. Lucky? perhaps... most likely, there is nothing worth stealing in my bag.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...left until Navigator of the Seas 11/13/04

cmason,

Nice to "meet" you! I live about an hour east of Raligh on Hwy 70. In the thriving metropolis of Goldsboro. icon_wink.gif

I have to agree with coppertan on this one. Although I do carry all my valuables in my carry-on, I still don't want my clothing, shoes, etc stolen from my checked bag.

And what I am most concerned about is someone putting something IN my luggage without my knowledge! Then who do you think Big Brother will come after---me, that's who (the poor schmuck who is not allowed to lock and protect his luggage.)!! icon_mad.gif

I traveled from EWR to MIA this past december with the TSA approved locks from Brookstone. Everything was fine. Coming home, a different story. Once back into EWR, I received my luggage with one out of two locks. And it was cut and stuck into the bag. The good thing was that Brookstone honored their replacement policy and replaced both locks. Will I ever use them again? I don't know.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Empress of the Seas 8/04

Majesty of the Seas 12/03

Explorer of the Seas 4/2002

Imagination 8/2000

I've used them for all my travel since february, and have never had one get cut off. In little rock, when I check in, I point out to the TSA folks that my locks are the TSA approved ones, and they grab a master key if they want into the bag.

Even if the masters get into wide circulation, really, how safe were the locks that you used to lock your bags before the regulations went into effect? Unless you used a combo lock (most of which you can get into with little to no effort), a simple straight pin is usually enough to pick the locks that come with a bag.

Also, if the TSA opens your bag, no matter whether or not they remove a TSA lock, or your zip tie, they should replace it with a numbered seal zip tie of their own. If you don't travel much, you can usually go to your bank, and have them give you some numbered seals like the TSA uses (banks use them to secure ATM canisters).

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;03;20;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<color=#8b0000>until Serenade of the Seas Spring Break 2004!!

icon_cool.gifThey are great. No more fiddling with your lock. They can be purchased at The dollor store or Walmart and Home Depot. The catch is you must have them on your luggage so TSA can replace them.

If you don't have them and TSA opens your luggage they will not put any on them. They are really cheap and more than worth the cost.

Nordic Empress 2times

aka The Empress Of The Seas

Monarch Of The Seas

Majesty Of The Seas

Explorer Of The Seas

Navigator Of The Seas Aug 2004

Archived