Buying scrimshaw

mjdgarth

Where is the best place to buy scrimshaw ? We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. Is the gold panning and history tour any good in Juneau ? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

We went into a wonderful gallery in Skagway where the owners are the artists...scrimshaw, mammoth tusk, and other neat stuff. The store was on the corner of the main street (if your back is to the water, walk away from the water on the right side of the street) and look at store windows. YOu will find it. A really great store, and the owners are interesting people to talk to.

Welcome to Cruise Critc! There is an extensive Alaska section listed under Ports of Call. You'll find answers to many questions over there. You'll even find answers to questions you didn't know you had! I did a search for you and didn't find much that was helpful, but if you post over there someone will have an answer.

Where is the best place to buy scrimshaw ? We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. Is the gold panning and history tour any good in Juneau ? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

You are apparently using the term scrimshaw as a noun. As a Navy vet, I know the word as a verb meaning to requisition material outside the normal procedure. Could you explain what the noun version means?

You are apparently using the term scrimshaw as a noun. As a Navy vet, I know the word as a verb meaning to requisition material outside the normal procedure. Could you explain what the noun version means? I stand corrected; the word I'm thinking of is comshaw, lol.

You are apparently using the term scrimshaw as a noun. As a Navy vet, I know the word as a verb meaning to requisition material outside the normal procedure. Could you explain what the noun version means? I stand corrected; the word I'm thinking of is comshaw, lol.

n. pl. scrimshaw or scrim·shaws

1. The art of carving or incising intricate designs on whalebone or whale ivory.

2. A decorative article made by this art.

Archived