Balconies on the Coral/Island

LindaKE

Can someone explain to me how to figure out which balconies on the Coral/Island are covered and which are not? Is it like on the Grand class where Aloha, and Baja are covered, Carrib is half covered and most on Dolphin are uncovered? (I noticed on a previous post that some on Dolphin are covered and some not.) Also, we were on the Sun on our last Alaska cruise and really appreciated the way the balconies were somewhat shielded from the wind. Would any of the balconies on the Coral/Island provide such coverage? We are planning to go back to Alaska in May 2006, so it will probably still be cold.

We were in C637 and it was probably 75% covered. We had alot of rain and were still able to enjoy the balcony. I don't think there are any balconies on the Caribe deck that are totally uncovered.

I agree with Larry the caribe deck is the best option for a balcony cabin.

Scott

The balcony for that room is real small and it is totally exposed. People on the open deck above you can look right down on you(thats how I know it is a small balcony). I'd try to get something on the Caribe deck if I were you.

Scott

Knuklehead.. Myself I would look for another area. That room is on the starboard aft bumpout right next to the Fun Zone and Kids area. If there are lots of kids on board they will be in that area and going pass your room is the only way they can get there.

At one time I wrote a really long post about which balconies were covered and uncovered on the Coral. It was viewed often, but later removed due to a nasty comment added on the zillionth page. Such a waste. Folks made comments who had actually sailed that added some great info. I thankfully saved my original and and corrected some of it. I'll paste it below.

Before I paste this big old thing, I want to say that I always suggest the Category BE cabins at the aft of Emerald. They're covered and larger than lots of the categories above. I've had many clients come back very satisfied with these. If they want something covered and midship, I suggest something in the center bump-outs.

I toured the Coral today. First thing I want to say about the Coral is that it has the different colored carpeting like the Grand-class that helps you find your room. If you are on Starboard (odd cabin #) you have blue carpet with blue edge detail. Port has blue with red detail.

Anyway, since the Coral came out I have been dying to have a summary of what balcony cabins are covered or uncovered. (Inquiring minds.) Even though there are many good threads about it, no one has summerized the situation as far as I could tell. So, I am going to ATTEMPT to do it. PLEASE correct if if I have it wrong.

Get your deck plan out to follow along:

On the Aloha deck:

The recessed cabins are REALLY covered, there is a big overhang from the Lido deck

The middle and rear bump-outs are fully exposed

The front bump-out is possibly partially covered

On the Baja deck:

The recessed cabins are almost fully covered (a sliver of railing shows in a snapshot from above)

The middle bump-out is fully covered

The rear bump-out is fully covered except the rear 15 or so cabins on the starboard side (odd cabin #s)

The front bump-out is fully exposed I think

Caribe deck:

All bump-outs are fully covered

The non bump-out cabins are half exposed

Dolphin deck:

Category BE, under the most front bump-out is fully covered

the rest are exposed, but I think the bigger ones on the suites and minis its only partial under the center and rear bump-outs

Emerald deck:

All covered

Also, I really liked the layout of the non-balconies. They felt spacious, even though I don't know how many square feet they were. The insides I looked at on Plaza were nice and wide (I think they get their space from width rather than being long front to back.) The bathroom is on the right after you walked in, and the beds were also to the right beyond that with the vanity across from the bed and lots of good walking room in the middle.

Also, almost the only place you could get unobstructed-view non-balcony cabins was on Plaza and those are really nice too. They have the more traditional "bed under the window" configuration but didn't feel cramped.

Areas to avoid according to other posts:

-BD balconies on the rear right under the kids area

-Cabins near the "void" area with no cabins near B551. That "space" must be where the turbines are pusing the propolsion from the engine room, so there is some kind of noise coming up that area. Avoid that part of the ship on all decks I guess, as the pipes go from the engine room below up to the things at the top. (See how there is a "void" (no cabins or other things) in that same spot on all the decks?)

This concludes my ATTEMPT to summerize.. we now send you back to original programming...

Suzy. Thanks for the info.. The Coral is my favorite ship.

About the Baja deck cabins on the front bumpout, I think the ones forward from B227 are totally exposed and the ones aft of B227 are partially covered.

On the Caribe deck all of them are except maybe the very last cabin aft. I was just looking at the pictures and they are covered except for maybe two feet so if it is raining and you stood right on the railing you'd get wet. If you step back a couple of feet you are covered.

Personally I would describe the balcony as mostly covered not partially covered.

Scott

Get your deck plan out to follow along:

On the Aloha deck:

The recessed cabins are REALLY covered, there is a big overhang from the Lido deck

The middle and rear bump-outs are fully exposed

The front bump-out is possibly partially covered

We sailed on the Coral in A504 and on the Island A503 -- middle bumpout section, mini suites. BOTH were 3/4 covered, and the deck above was all window (no open deck in this portion) so no one could look down on us. The balcony cabins in this bumpout were also covered. Balconies were small, but it didn't matter to us, and we loved the location.

LindaKE:

Not sure I can explain how to figure out which balconies are covered or not; however I would like to offer this: if your concern is privacy consider Aloha, Baha, or the middle cabins in the bumpouts. Having sailed on the Sun with private balconies I was very apprehensive about sailing the Coral with exposed balconies. I was pleasantly surprised because I actually enjoyed socializing with my fellow passengers while enjoying the balcony.

Hubby and I were in Baha 535, mid starboard (blue carpet side!) on the Oct 11th sailing. It was a recessed cabin.

Our balcony was small but completely covered. I could look straight down onto Carib (these balconies are much larger than Baha and Aloha); however I could only see the portion that was exposed. I believe and have read that part of their balcony was also private. I could also see the Dolphin balconies but could not tell if the whole balcony was exposed or just the part I could see. I believe Aloha could see all balconies in a particular range (except Baha, mid bump outs and non exposed Carib); however not having been in an Aloha cabin I can't say for sure.

Hope this helps, but I'd also like to offer you this advice: the Coral is a beautiful vessel, so regardless of which cabin you decide on I'm sure you won't be disappointed!:D

Thanks for all the replies! The second part of my question was if Coral/Island balconies would offer the wind protection that we got from the way the Sun balconies were actually cut from the hull of the ship. The wind was brutal when we were cruising Alaska in May, so I want to be sure that we will be able to spend as much time on our balconies as we were able to do before. We enjoyed many hours out there (bundled up), but on the deck where the wind wasn't blocked, it was too cold too stay for long. Now, when we go with family, I am envisioning enjoyable hours sitting out with our balconies opened to each other and sharing the beautiful scenery.

We're just back from the Island Princess cruise to Hawaii. Had A503 mini suite in the centre jut out. Those balconies are small. Measured ours and it was 9'4" X 3'9". Not much room with a table and two chairs. That cabin and others on the jut out were covered except for about 1'. All other Aloha balconies from what I could see along the side of the ship were completely covered.

Yes the Caribe balconies are by far the largest.

There are small doors between balconies that the room stewart can open for you. However I would not count on this increasing the size of the space. From what I remember it is only big enough for a pass through and then you have that door to contend with and it opens back against the window area.

Does anyone know if there are removable partitions between the balconies on the Island? We are A314 and 316. We have one room, the kids, the other. It would really increase the balcony space if we could turn two into one.

There are some cabins that don't connect with a door on Island.It appears that a sheet of metal was welded into some spots so there was no door.

Archived