18 year old still in high school

What a good question from the OP and something I hadn't considered. We're thinking of booking a cruise for Easter next year by which time my son will be 18 - I hadn't even thought about the fact that he'll be too old for the teen club :eek:

Two points I would make:

1. How can an 18 year old be regarded as an 'adult' and too old for a teen club and yet can't have a room booked in his name or have a beer (which he can in our country) and be called a minor by RCCL.

2. What's so different about an 18 year old compared to a 17 (or even 16) year old that would make anyone's daughter any more at risk :rolleyes: From my experience (with 2 boys aged 15 and 17 at the moment) those hormones are running rampage long before 18 ;)

Thanks to the OP for asking the question and for those who gave answers - based on their own experiences. And I agree that there's a big hole for those 18-21 year olds.

Your response did not offend me..just frustrated me since I specifically asked that we not address this issue. :) But it is okay.

Besides, we live in Florida where the laws are a bit different. A 24 year old and a 16 year old can have a consensual relationship..but a 26 year old and a 17 year old cannot. So the legality all depends on where you live.

And as I said before, 18 year olds go to high school with younger kids. They hang out with them all the time and there are no legal issues there. I can't believe that a cruise ship wouldn't be able to handle this. Plus, 16 year olds commit violent crimes and are tried as adults.

My guess is an attorney would be able to see the gray areas a bit better than many. ;)

I think your question should be geared towards being ship specific. Each ships have their our way of dealing with certain things. I agree, either it should be consistent or change the ruling, there should be no guess work.

I agree! I just think they decided that they have to draw the line somewhere and they decided on what is considered a legal adult. There is no difference between 17 or an 18 year old high school senior per se. But then some could say there is no difference between a 19 year old and an 18 year old, etc. I think their lawyers just decided that it was about legality and nothing else. They don't see exceptions they way most of us do.

Not sure where the thread got "ugly" though.

I doubt its a legal issue..since its not strictly enforced. :) Again, probably more a perception issue.

Thanks again for those who were helpful! I talked with my son and he isn't sure what he wants to do. We are going during a heavy spring break time so maybe he will decide to meet some college kids. He is so shy that to be honest, I wouldn't mind if he breaks out a little and spends some time with others his age. We will make the decision on the boat if we need to do so. Fortunately, he is the kind of kid I can trust and that helps a great deal. :)

I can't offer advice on whether he will be allowed into the teen club, but i'm pretty sure if he's not that he'll have no trouble meeting others. I've been cruising as an independent adult with friends/boyfriends since I was 18 (I am now 20), and the thought of being in a teen club is/was horrific to me. I want to enjoy the ship as an adult.

If he does want to meet up with others his age and isn't allowed into the teen club then from my experience the younger people tend to gather around activities like rock climbing/basketball etc. IMHO 18 is way too old for structured activities. They should have their own fun!

Have a great cruise:D

Exactly..the only reason I even posted this is because I saw several people commenting on the exceptions made for their 18 year old kids. When I believed it was a consistent, always enforced rule, I did not question it.

If the cruiseline really believes this is a huge liability issue, they would be very strict on this. Obviously, they are not. My guess is it all depends on who is in charge that particular day. The rule is probably more in place for those parents who somehow thing that 18 year old boys are a huge threat to their daughters....

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher

This rule sounds like what we call a Hail Mary.

Its one of those things that sometimes gets enforced and sometimes doesn't. Depends on who is on watch at the time. A real hard ass will go by the letter of the law, the next guy will say whats the big deal and let it go. Yes there is a rule in writing , but "come on". It's some sniggely little thing that will never be a problem 999,999 times in a row.

However on that 1,000,000th time. Lightening is gonna hit the outhouse, the you know what will hit the fan, and all hell will break loose.

Then everyone from here to hell will want answers .

I am certainly not speaking about the OPs son. I am sure he is a nice, decent kid. He's a nice young man, he's by himself, so the person at the teen club lets him come in.

What a about the 18 yr old that walks in after him? he look s like a nice fella, he's alone , its a vacation let the kids join in and have fun. So you let him in.

But later on that kid hooks up with a 14 year old girl and her parents catch them on a deckchair at 4am.

Now don't get me wrong, they could have hooked up on that cruise anyway teen club or not, but when it gets out that they met at a ship sponsered activity with rules and such and one of those rules was disregarded . there is gonna be trouble.

Not allowing an 18 year old into a teen club is not going to prevent a 14 year old from hooking up with an older guy at the pool in a lounge chair. ;) I really think this excuse is old and it had nothing to do with my question.

Nevermind...no more responses necessary. My son has NO INTEREST in 14 year old girls. Men that do will find a way to find the girls, teen group or not.

Over and out.

Archived