Cathay Pacific airlines

pondnana

Does anyone have any first hand recent experience with Cathay Pacific airlines from Toronto/Vancouver to Hong Kong. My hubby and I are not small people and I was wondering if the economy seats were much more spacious than NA airlines and if the seats reclined for sleeping. We are looking at booking Sydney to Bankok. Please do not tell me to search posts because I have done that. I am looking for 1st hand experience, comments from someone who has travelled in the seats. Thanks.

A quick check on the Cathy Pacific website shows that all of their long-haul aircraft; (747, 777, A330 and A340) all have the same Economy configuration as Air Canada, Lufthansa and most US airlines. In other words, not much leg or hip room and seats will not fully recline.

I am sure others will have had first hand experience and will able to more directly answer your question,

Don

I can't comment on Cathay Pacific FROM Toronto, but can from Los Angeles to Hong Kong and beyond.

From here, the service is 747s and as I have arthritis in both knees, I can testify that Economy is out of the question. The seats were designed for Asian travelers, thus are narrower and have less padding and less knee room than most.

As a result, we can only travel in Business, and there is a vast difference in space and comfort.

While business class fares are much more expensive, I find the cost is worth it considering I would be a cripple after spending 15 hours in coach!

I can confirm what rickey 88 stated, in that I flew last April from Hong Kong to San Fran on a 777. The seats are narrow, very little padding, and are of a special design that does NOT recline. Sevice was marginal. I flew on Cathy when it first started and it was terrific. I believe First/busiiness class is still excellent.

Bottom line I will not travel on Cathy again in economy.

We used Cathy Pacific about 10 years ago. What we did at that time bussiness class or first class was very prohibited to us. What we did was book an extra couch ticket and reserevd the 3 across alot cheaper.I dont know if you can do that in todays enviroment.

Does anyone have any first hand recent experience with Cathay Pacific airlines from Toronto/Vancouver to Hong Kong. My hubby and I are not small people and I was wondering if the economy seats were much more spacious than NA airlines and if the seats reclined for sleeping. We are looking at booking Sydney to Bankok. Please do not tell me to search posts because I have done that. I am looking for 1st hand experience, comments from someone who has travelled in the seats. Thanks.

We flew last year HKG-Toronto in a brand new 777-300 with the new Y class seats which are much better then before. It all depends what aircraft is being used. For instance on the 747-400 if you have the new lay out then seats are good. If it is the "old"configuartion then not very suitable for European size persons. Same applies if it is a 777. Beware of Airbus A 340-300 which may be used sometimes. Slow in the air and very cramped everywere. CX is still an excellent airline which i use about 6x yearly from Amsterdam non stop to HKG. Luckily they have put on a 747-400 instead of the previous A 340-300. Huge difference in comfort and enviroment.

peter

We haven't flew Cathy Pacific for the last decade and so don't know whether it is good or bad. But for any airline, economy class is what gets you from point A to point B, safely and hopefully on time, it is not something to be enjoyed.

For a flight of a couple of hours, economy is quite adequate. For trans-oceanic flights of ten to fifteen hours, it isn't easy. The longer you sit, the more you agonize. But since most people don't have enough money or points to go to business class (on most commercial airlines, 80+% of the seats are economy, that is the proof), if we want to travel, we have to join the vast majority.

After agonizing for several hours, you will get too tired, and the natural body defense is you pass into sleep. Once you are asleep, you won't feel it, and the hours just slip by. By the time you wake up for the final meal, it is usally only a couple of hours to touch down. Sing to yourself that soothing tune of "All my trials Lord, soon be over .. " and think about the money (thousands of dollars) you have saved, which gave you the opportunity to travel in the first place.

By the time you get home (or your destination), you can relax, and the slightly sore backs and behind and the somewhat numb legs will pass. And everything will be alright, nothing lost. By the way, remember to take one baby aspirin the day before you fly and another one on the day of your flight. That helps prevent deep vein thrombosis, which may be fatal. Our doctor taught us that!

Archived