Paying for food for kids!

beachbunni77

If me and my hubby go to a restaurant with a cover change and bring my 3 year old, and he doesn't eat, will they still charge for him to be seated with us. I doubt he will eat any of that type of food, but I don't want to miss out on any yummy foods!

If me and my hubby go to a restaurant with a cover change and bring my 3 year old, and he doesn't eat, will they still charge for him to be seated with us. I doubt he will eat any of that type of food, but I don't want to miss out on any yummy foods!

If he doesn't eat or order he will not be charged, or you can order from the child's menu for him?? I don't know about how accustom he is to sitting for long periods of time but you may want to consider taking him the the kids program while you enjoy a quiet meal with your hubby. Just a thought..

Nita

I think in some of the pay restaurants you have to be over 12 years old.

None that I know of. I wouldn't bring my kids (3 an 19 mos) to Cagney's or Le Bistro, but my kids love the Tex/mex and actually behave much better there than in the main dining room. I think that the less formal specialty restaurants are fine for families as long as you are ready to leave if necessary.

Enjoy the yummy food!

None that I know of. I wouldn't bring my kids (3 an 19 mos) to Cagney's or Le Bistro, but my kids love the Tex/mex and actually behave much better there than in the main dining room. I think that the less formal specialty restaurants are fine for families as long as you are ready to leave if necessary.

Enjoy the yummy food!

like you attitude about which restaurants you would and would not take your little ones. I think when I am picturing the sur charge dining rooms I think of ones like Le Bistro and Cagneys. Maybe that is because I wish those were the only ones that charge..LOL

I do agree, the Tex/Mex and Italian are quite different. They are more like eateries we would take little ones to on land. That is the determiner in my opinion.

Nita

We ate there last Tuesday night and we were charged half price for our 9 year old.

Nice! I brought my 3 year old there once (I won't again for a couple years, since it was way too long for him to sit and one of us had to take him out once the "show" was over.) and they charged me full price, even though he ordered off the kid's menu. We made sure to ask for some filet for him once we found out he was paying! :D It must vary, or maybe we got unlucky.

like you attitude about which restaurants you would and would not take your little ones. I think when I am picturing the sur charge dining rooms I think of ones like Le Bistro and Cagneys. Maybe that is because I wish those were the only ones that charge..LOL

I do agree, the Tex/Mex and Italian are quite different. They are more like eateries we would take little ones to on land. That is the determiner in my opinion.

Nita

The tex/mex is actually the best for my kids, since it's open to the atrium and has the ocean views. There's plenty of activity to keep them entertained, and easy for us to take one of them out if they get fidgety. Oh, and I love those fajitas!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I planned on the Tex mex and Italian. French and Cagney's isn't my thing anyway. Plus I wouldn't bring him there because of the environment. Look forward to my cruise in 25 days. Any other tips for toddlers traveling on the Gem. The kids club is not my thing so we won't be bring him there. But any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Amanda

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I planned on the Tex mex and Italian. French and Cagney's isn't my thing anyway. Plus I wouldn't bring him there because of the environment. Look forward to my cruise in 25 days. Any other tips for toddlers traveling on the Gem. The kids club is not my thing so we won't be bring him there. But any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Amanda

Amanda, because I have chosen not to take advantange of the kids club you will need to find lots of kid friendly activities which may not be that easy. Keep the shore excursions geared to him and keep them relatively short.Of course no one has to remind you, don't forget the sun screen for him as we will probably want to spend time in the pool area. Have you gone to the family forum to get some ideas??

Nita

We just got off the Gem with our 3 year old (and 19 month old) and are actually going to be on your same cruise with them! Maybe we'll meet each other. My 3 year old won't do the kid's club, either. If your son is potty trained, the pools are great. There's a big slide that an adult can take him on and there's a toddler pool with a small slide that my son LOVED!

There's an under 2 zoo that we brought out 19 month old in, that my 3 year old actually liked as well. Just a room with some toys, but you can meet other families and let the kids run around. The arcade is ok...expensive and there are some violent games, but my son liked the driving game. We also took him to some of the family events at kid's club (like a pizza making party), where the whole family goes. Oh, and if you go the first day to the kid's club open house, they can play freely while you watch them, and there's a GREAT jungle gym in there.

The kid's buffet is terrific...juice there all the time. We also played cards and checkers in the game room. There's the basketball court...way too much to list, actually. You will not be bored!

Nita, Our sunscreen is pack! We are going to go to Coco beach but I think that is it for the excusion. Just wanting to do the pool thing ect. Where do I find the family forum info? Thanks, Amanda

just go to CC and arrow down, there is an entire section on family cruising. It should give you lots of ideas..

good luck and have a great cruise..

Nita

We ate there last Tuesday night and we were charged half price for our 9 year old.

We were consistenly charged 1/2 the adult price at the 'specialty' restaurants for our 7 year old. So that seems to be the policy if they order something.

Archived