Great Sunday in Old San Juan (photos)

mountainhouse

We spent the entire afternoon on the Sunday we embarked, walking around Old San Juan. It was wonderful. Especially the park near El Morro. There were hundreds of folks out there flying kites, and enjoying the afternoon. Wandering around out there made us feel a little more like locals than tourists. Anyway, it was all and all a great day. I have some photos posted here.

Great photos and I am glad you enjoyed your day.

I can tell you spent your time to really see OSJ. It is a living city (which can be good and bad) , it is old, even decrepit in places, but it can be so beautiful and welcoming. You captured the Old City I see when I visit.

You captured the Old City I see when I visit.

Thanks! San Juan was definitely a highlight of the trip. We got another cruise scheduled there next year, and really looking forward to spending more time in Old San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...
We spent the entire afternoon on the Sunday we embarked, walking around Old San Juan. It was wonderful. Especially the park near El Morro. There were hundreds of folks out there flying kites, and enjoying the afternoon. Wandering around out there made us feel a little more like locals than tourists. Anyway, it was all and all a great day. I have some photos posted here.

Mountainhouse, beautiful pics! What did you do with your luggage before boarding the ship?

What did you do with your luggage before boarding the ship?

I read this in another thread

"there is a spot across the street from the pier where you can store your luggage (for a fee) while you explore Old San Juan. OR you can go to Barrachina's restaurant in OSJ and store your luggage for free."

I read this in another thread

"there is a spot across the street from the pier where you can store your luggage (for a fee) while you explore Old San Juan. OR you can go to Barrachina's restaurant in OSJ and store your luggage for free."

Thanks, Linkinsmama I'll check into that.

Mountainhouse, beautiful pics! What did you do with your luggage before boarding the ship?

There are probably other options. We just went to the Pan Am pier first, and dropped the luggage with a porter.

...our ship at the Pan Am Pier and then heading into OSJ for a Segway tour.

Sounds like great fun!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

There are probably other options. We just went to the Pan Am pier first, and dropped the luggage with a porter.

We are trying to decide to whether to do that or board first and check out our cabin. Did you have any problems checking in later? No problems checking your bags early?

We are trying to decide to whether to do that or board first and check out our cabin. Did you have any problems checking in later? No problems checking your bags early?

:o We actually checked in the ship first. Excited to see the room - bad move. Sat around waiting about 45 min. Won't be doing that next year. :D But dropping off the bag was a completely separate process. Just handed the bags to the porter, and gave him some $$$.

What kind of camera and lens did you use?

I have a digital SLR and some pretty good lenses. There's a photography section of Cruise Critic where cameras are discussed. Most important... get it soon, so you have time to work with it before the trip. Here's a list of cameras to narrow things down for you.

Archived