Military Dress Mess vs. Tuxedo

EduTravler

[ATTACH]108134[/ATTACH]

Above, my son, an Army surgeon (now a major) in mess dress onboard Mariner of the Seas. His wife is an Air Force dentist but preferred a gown!!

He';s worn his mess dress uniform on 4 cruises to date. Go for it.

I'm sure she looks better in the gown.:) Thank them both for me.

I went to the wedding of a retired General's daughter where the reception was outdoors. It was in the 90's all day and still very warm when the reception begin. I was in line behind a Col. about 55 or 60 and asked him why he was wearing dress blues (not whites) and he answered "the invitation from the General specified blues".:rolleyes: All the military, retired and active, looked great (but VERY warm).

Is it the Marine officer or enlisted man whose dress uniform includes a sword? Would the person be considered "out of uniform" if they did not wear it?:confused:

Marine officers and non-commissioned officers have swords. (I think the Marine Corps is the only branch of service in which non-commissioned officers rate swords.) Swords would be worn (carried) for ceremonial events, such as a Marine Corps birthday ball, or by ushers at a military wedding, but only by the Marines taking part in the ceremonies, when the uniform is mess or evening dress. Swords may also be carried for less formal events, such as parades. Swords would not be worn at a strictly social event, such as a formal dinner. Also, one may wear miniature medals with formal evening dress, aka tuxedos.

I was on an Alaskan cruise that had a large group onboard for a Canadian Air Force unit reunion. On formal nights many wore their mess dress uniforms, some with a kilt variation. Very attractive.

I don't recall ever wearing my mess dress uniform outside of a USAF base officer's mess. Wasn't cruising at that time and it wouldn't be proper for me to wear it now, long removed from that status (and the uniform doesn't fit anyway):D.

[and the term is mess dress, not dress mess][/quote

Class A uniforms also have been seen on cruises....I am with you that the uniform no longer fits .:(

Is it the Marine officer or enlisted man whose dress uniform includes a sword? Would the person be considered "out of uniform" if they did not wear it?:confused:

Good question. I'm not that familiar with the customs of mess dress, but I think you'd be hard pressed to travel anywhere with a saber.:confused: Kind of hard to conceal:D I would think it's optional.

The (officer or NCO) sword is not worn with the Evening Dress uniform. It is worn by officers or SNCO's with the Blue Dress uniform (Dress Blues) at drill and/or special functions

I think retired military members may wear their mess dress as well to formal events. I've seen it multiple times that active and retired military have worn their mess dress and/or Class A (Dress Blues for USAF) uniform on formal nights. I would myself except time has a way of making them not fit anymore!:rolleyes::o

Alan

Definately go for the Mess Dress, shoot, I wish I could still fit into mine <sigh>. After I retired, I have enjoyed the good life way too much and no longer will fit into the bloomin thing. Have been to one military event where I wore my tux and all the minitures... Wouldn't do that outside the military though as it is a bit distracting.

For all of you who have worn the uniform, thanks for your service...

Definately go for the Mess Dress, shoot, I wish I could still fit into mine <sigh>. After I retired, I have enjoyed the good life way too much and no longer will fit into the bloomin thing. Have been to one military event where I wore my tux and all the minitures... Wouldn't do that outside the military though as it is a bit distracting.

For all of you who have worn the uniform, thanks for your service...

Same to you! Greetings from IPA Region 6:)

I've seen military dress uniforms, not sure of the proper name but the formal Scottish sttire with kilt and the whole ensemble, blazers with tie and slacks, business suites, dinner jackets with tie and trousers, tuxedos...

He has every reason to be proud of how he got that uniform. Unless it would cost a lot extra to get t to the ship and that isn't in your budget due to airline fees, my vote (if you're taking one) is that he wear it.

As an active military member myself, I might have a slightly different perspective. I will say that I've seen at least one person in mess dress on every cruise I've taken, so it is certainly appropriate if one wishes. But I would ask you not to "encourage" your husband too strongly--if he doesn't want to wear it, please try to respect his position.

I have never and will never wear my mess dress in a public situation like a cruise ship. I simply don't want all the attention and thank-you's that would undoubtedly ensue. I am proud to humbly serve my country, and get embarassed when someone thanks me if I stop off at the grocery store or gas station on the way home from work. The way I look at it, serving in the military is an honor because this great nation certainly deserves protecting. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to personally thank me, but it's awkward--I'm just doing my job. And I'd prefer not to spend an entire cruise with that awkward feeling; maybe your husband feels the same.

As an active military member myself, I might have a slightly different perspective. I will say that I've seen at least one person in mess dress on every cruise I've taken, so it is certainly appropriate if one wishes. But I would ask you not to "encourage" your husband too strongly--if he doesn't want to wear it, please try to respect his position.

I have never and will never wear my mess dress in a public situation like a cruise ship. I simply don't want all the attention and thank-you's that would undoubtedly ensue. I am proud to humbly serve my country, and get embarassed when someone thanks me if I stop off at the grocery store or gas station on the way home from work. The way I look at it, serving in the military is an honor because this great nation certainly deserves protecting. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to personally thank me, but it's awkward--I'm just doing my job. And I'd prefer not to spend an entire cruise with that awkward feeling; maybe your husband feels the same.

Interesting point of view.........

Have any retired service personnel who have "outgrown" their kits considered wearing service dress uniforms rather than mess dress?

The Mess Dress Uniform is perfectly acceptable on Black-Tie/Civilian Formal occasions as long as the wearer is Active Duty. It is no longer appropriate when the individual is Inactive Reserve or Retired.

The Service Dress Uniform is inappropriate for Black-Tie/Civilian Formal occasions - it's only for Formal Military occasions.

The Mess Dress Uniform is perfectly acceptable on Black-Tie/Civilian Formal occasions as long as the wearer is Active Duty. It is no longer appropriate when the individual is Inactive Reserve or Retired.

The Service Dress Uniform is inappropriate for Black-Tie/Civilian Formal occasions - it's only for Formal Military occasions.

Look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17682929&postcount=33 for a link quoting regulations for United States armed forces. This is in a thread "Husband wants to wear his dress blues" January 12, 2009 in Celebrity Cruises . There is also a post on that thread, prior to the referenced post, which provides a summary of the regulations.

I cannot know with certainty, but these posts appear to be accurate.

I believe that anyone who feels comfortable, in all definitions of that word, should feel free to wear the uniform. I doubt that I would fit into mine. I probably would never wear it anyway because I was only a lowly lieutenant during my short service career.

Bob :cool:

United States Air Force, Korea, 1952

Look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17682929&postcount=33 for a link quoting regulations for United States armed forces. This is in a thread "Husband wants to wear his dress blues" January 12, 2009 in Celebrity Cruises . There is also a post on that thread, prior to the referenced post, which provides a summary of the regulations.

I cannot know with certainty, but these posts appear to be accurate.

I believe that anyone who feels comfortable, in all definitions of that word, should feel free to wear the uniform. I doubt that I would fit into mine. I probably would never wear it anyway because I was only a lowly lieutenant during my short service career.

United States Air Force, Korea, 1952

"3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Directive or under the terms of 10 U.S.C. 772 (reference ©), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.

3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited."

I stand corrected for active duty - but my comment regarding retirees is accurate.

"3.2. Former members of the Armed Forces, unless under another provision of this Directive or under the terms of 10 U.S.C. 772 (reference ©) (emphasis added), who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:

3.2.1. Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.

3.2.2. Parades on National or State holidays; or other parades or ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any Active or Reserve United States military unit is taking part.

3.2.3. Wearing of the uniform or any part thereof at any other time or for any other purposes is prohibited."

I stand corrected for active duty - but my comment regarding retirees is accurate.

Your quote stopped too soon. Continuing:

TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES

• SUBTITLE A - GENERAL MILITARY LAW
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

U.S. Code as of: 01/06/03

Section 772. When wearing by persons not on active duty authorized

(a) A member of the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard may wear the uniform prescribed for the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard, as the case may be.

(b) A member of the Naval Militia may wear the uniform prescribed for the Naval Militia.

© A retired officer of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the title and wear the uniform of his retired grade.

(d) A person who is discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may wear his uniform while going from the place of discharge to his home, within three months after his discharge.

(e) A person not on active duty who served honorably in time of war in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps may bear the title, and, when authorized by regulations prescribed by the President, wear the uniform, of the highest grade held by him during that war.

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not tend to discredit that armed force.

(g) An officer or resident of a veterans' home administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs may wear such uniform as the Secretary of the military department concerned may prescribe.

(h) While attending a course of military instruction conducted by the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the uniform prescribed by that armed force if the wear of such uniform is specifically authorized under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of the military department concerned.

(i) Under such regulations as the Secretary of the Air Force may prescribe, a citizen of a foreign country who graduates from an Air Force school may wear the appropriate aviation badges of the Air Force.

(j) A person in any of the following categories may wear the uniform prescribed for that category:
    (1) Members of the Boy Scouts of America.
    (2) Members of any other organization designated by the Secretary of a military department.

I will go no farther, but I find enough in Section 772 to justify the wearing of the uniform on a cruise ship. Wear the uniform if you so desire.

I survived as a lieutenant because I paid close attention to the Master Sergeants. Navy ensigns survive when they pay close attention to the Chiefs. :rolleyes:

Does anyone ever wear a military dress mess uniform for formal nights versus a tuxedo? I am proud of my husband's career plus he looks awesome in his "formal" uniform. But he is hesitant to stand out or be presumed to be "showy."

If your husband is in the military or is a retiree from the military then by all means he should wear his dress uniform. He should not be hesitant to show he is a member of the military. If it wasn't for the military we would not be so "free" today. I am proud of my military service, however, I am not a retiree nor do I have a uniform that fits me anymore.

Hello Community,

I am a faithful CC member, and I learned a lot here, and cannot agree more to quiet a lot of given information’s and statements - but the content of this thread goes for me in a wrong direction.

I’m asking me, what has a military dress, titles, earnings and so on, to do on a holiday trip ?

Please be aware, I fully admit to al kind of patriotism and commitments to serve to my country, I also highly respect any flag, anthem, signs and identifications. And during military events, I wear my uniform and all medals with trust and honor – but for me, formal cruise events and uniforms, do not really fit together.

During holiday I will never even think about it, and as a German; active, reservist, or retired person, I even not allowed to do so, especially outside of Germany…..

In Germany the rules are strict; only while on an official event, one could wear the uniform.

Furthermore, for all other activities, one must mandatory asks beforehand for permission; but during my long service time in a headquarters company, I never heard about such kind of request or its acceptance.

With one exception, which is the wedding. => But only for the bride or bridegroom, and be in active service.

I’m also a German Boy Scoutmaster; here the rules are close to identical.

A kilt is sometimes a local dress and sometimes a military uniform. So as long one does not wear medals, a kilt is surely acceptable.

There are quiet much more folklore liveries, which one could certainly also be appropriate.

But the most incomprehensibly for me is, to be fully dressed in military characteristic symptoms, outside of my home country, not to be on a maneuver, but on a cruise !!

=> And finally, imaging I’m a navy captain, could it not be an affront against the vessel captain, to double him ??

Happy cruising to everybody

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

Interesting comments and views from everyone. I was searching for info on dress uniforms as my son, who is active duty Air Force, will be joining us in June for a family cruise. He will be flying in from his base to meet us at the ship and I told him the other day to bring his dress blues for formal night(s) as he does not have a regular suit with him. Besides, I miss him terribly so if he has to be away from his family, I can at least be proud of seeing him in his dress blues and be reminded of why he is away serving our country.

Archived