Butchart Gardens at Night?

irobro

We dock in Victoria at 7:00PM in late May, the last night of a Princess cruise before disembarking in Seattle the next morning. We have always wanted to see Butchart Gardens based on the experience of others but that desire is based, I'm sure, on a daylight tour. I'd love to hear opinions about Butchart Gardens at night. It is the melancholy last night of the cruise, dinner-time, packing, and the time to put suitcases out the door. Should we do the evening tour?

In late May the sunset is not until about 9pm in Victoria and twillight is about another 40 minutes or so. That notwithstanding the gardens are illuminated in the evening and are spectacular. I know that is rather an expensive excursion but people come from all over the world to see Butchart Gardens and it would be a shame to be so close and not see them.

www.butchartgardens.com/

In late May you will have daylight until 9-ish. I think twilight will last for 45 minutes there, too. In addition, Butchart is lit up with lots of lights for night viewing. You can't see the flowers, but the lights are very impressive. These were at Christmas, but I am fairly certain they do the light thing all year

Picture130.jpg

Picture135.jpg

I visited Butchart Gardens several years ago, though not from a ship. It really is a lovely garden. I have never seen such a display of Delphiniums, really awesome! Other gardens were really nice too but that one really sticks out in my mind.

The sun doesn't set until 9pm in Victoria in late May so it should be quite nice. I would go for it, you will not be in the dark.

You didn't say exactly which day you are there but the site says:

** Additional late open hours: May 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30 and Jun 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13.

Gates close at 9pm with grounds open until 10pm.

I would assume if the ship is offering it as an option it is one of these days, since it is an unusual time the ships excursion would likely be the safest bet.

Thank - you. You all thought of things I hadn't even considered. We will be in Victoria on May 22nd. It will be light until almost 9:00pm and as you mentioned, Butchart Gardens is open late that evening (gates open until 9:00pm, gardens open until 10:00pm) although it is still a questioon whether the lights will be on or not. Regardless, we will be going.

Again, thank you!

I will be on a cruise leaving Seattle on July 5. I probably get to Victoria on July 11, 2009. I am now 100% sure that I should see Buchart Gardens after reading this board.

Thank you all for your input and helping me decide.

We were in Victoria from 7pm to midnight a few years ago on the Star Princess and went to Buchart Gardens. It was fantastic, and I especially liked the fact that we got to see it in both daylight and lighted after dark. Both ways were spectacular. This was in late August, so it probably got dark a bit earlier than in late May.

We are cruising from Sept 13-20th.

The list of hours of operation for the Gardens says it closes ay 5:30 PM in September.

But the tour is offered on the excursion list.

Does anyone know if the Gardens will be open in the eveing then, since someone said they are open when cruise ships are in port.

Hey there Webstir! I think we are on the same sailing. I leave on the Westerdam on July 5 from Seattle. If you are on our same sailing, head on over to the roll call board and post with me there. We would also like to do the gardens and maybe we can share some of the transportation costs. The gardens will be great in July!

Archived