Is it safe to have a balcony and a toddler?

Johnsmomma

I am deciding between an oceanview and a balcony and would really like the extra space of a balcony room but am a little nervous about having a balcony and a toddler. Obviously we wouldn't leave him unattended or likely let his feet touch the ground on the balcony but it still makes me nervous.

Do most book oceanview when they have little ones?

Actually no. The general rule of thought around here is that most of us who sail with young children actually book balconies more often because it gives us a place to step out when the kids are sleeping/napping. No one wants to tip toe around a cabin during naptme. ;)

This topic comes up alot around here. So I take pictures of the height of the balcony rails against the height of my children to show the parents here how safe it is. The railings are always over their head. And some balconies have glass, not railings. So what ship are you considering? We might be able to find pictures of the balcony railings.

The doors are VERY difficult to get open, even for me. So the balconies usually have some kind of child lock.

And common sense goes a long way. Move chairs away from railings. Set some rules, like no standing on chairs. The child shouldn't be outside on the balcony without an adult, ever. And if the child starts jumping at the rail, remove the child from the outside. ;)

This is true- I just have these fears that he will climb out of bed in the night and get out there but if he can't open the doors we'll be fine. I

am also a light sleeper and in small quarters I am sure we will hear him wake up.

This is true- I just have these fears that he will climb out of bed in the night and get out there but if he can't open the doors we'll be fine. I

am also a light sleeper and in small quarters I am sure we will hear him wake up.

Yep, no problem. The locks are always high. Most have some sort of deterrent, for example, you have to turn the handle a certain way before it will open. And if all else fails, the sheer pressure and amount of force that it takes to open one of those doors is pretty strong.

Most times I have to use MY weight to pull the door open. I can't imagine that a toddler would ever be able to do it.

To my knowledge (and believe me, we would have heard about it by now), no child has ever fallen off a ship balcony. Drunk adults, yes. But no child. So just don't let your toddler get drunk ;)

Booked AOS OV for our Easter cruise this year because of our DDs (3 & 5 years old).

Was overly concerned about the balcony and didn't want to take the chance of an accident occurring.

Looking back, I wish I had booked a balcony suite as it would have been our first and the DD's would have loved it. After we booked our OV, prices skyrocketed for this cruise and I have been looking everday for a price drop so I could switch cabins. So far, it's not happening but I'm not giving up yet.

I say book the balcony and take whatever extra precautions would make you feel safe.

I have a 3 1/2 year old that I am taking on NCL Gem in 25 days. When booking a room this was a concern for me also. I certainly would NEVER let him out of my sight, however night time makes me worry. Someone at the cruise line suggested I bring some bells to hang off the door handle. That way if he was to start to play with/open the door the jingles would be heard and we would know what he was up to. Thought this was a great idea! I have my bells packed already!

I have a 3 1/2 year old that I am taking on NCL Gem in 25 days. When booking a room this was a concern for me also. I certainly would NEVER let him out of my sight, however night time makes me worry. Someone at the cruise line suggested I bring some bells to hang off the door handle. That way if he was to start to play with/open the door the jingles would be heard and we would know what he was up to. Thought this was a great idea! I have my bells packed already!

No worries about the balcony door on the Gem - there is a child proof lock and it's about 5 feet from the floor. My mother couldn't even figure out how to use it, so it's safe!

Now, the regular cabin door, my son could open just fine (and the deadbolt comes undone just by using the regular handle.) We had brought a special travel chain lock that we found at Walmart and it worked great. If I can find the info on it, I'll post it.

On our past cruises - number one rule - no one on the balcony without a parent. Our kids are 5 and 8, and on the Radiance and the Adventure of the Seas, even our 8 year old was not able to unlock the door (big huge pull down handle) let alone slide the door open if the door was unlocked! Don't worry just keep the door locked - and remember that the cabins are pretty small anyways your kids will always be in your eyesight!

Now, the regular cabin door, my son could open just fine (and the deadbolt comes undone just by using the regular handle.)

We had this same problem. On the last cruise DS was 27 months and he can run to the door, grab the handle door knob and be running down the hall before I can jump off the bed! :mad:

I am deciding between an oceanview and a balcony and would really like the extra space of a balcony room but am a little nervous about having a balcony and a toddler. Obviously we wouldn't leave him unattended or likely let his feet touch the ground on the balcony but it still makes me nervous.

We booked 6E Spa deck floor to ceiling window on the Glory...amazing view, no balcony to worry about!!! IT is actually a bigger room because you gain the size of the balcony inside your room. No sure what ship you are going on..most have been converted already to balcony's..

416981525_Picture134.jpg.004cb879368ffd7255e7009a427cb693.jpg

Archived