bringing alcohol

gacruiser

I have cruised mostly Carnival in the past and they allowed you to bring 2 bottles of wine, does NCL allow this. Also I only drink a certain kind of alcohol that the cruise ships never carry. Does anyone have any ideas how I can bring some. I will be flying for Ga to Seattle. We normally drive to Fl ports and this has never been an issue for us before. Thanks

I'm not aware of any limit on the amt of wine you can bring on board...but be prepared to pay corkage.

Booze is not allowed-but some find ways around it.

I think I'll drink a bottle of wine & fill the empty with rum and then recork and seal, and pay the $15 wine corkage fee ;)

If you want to bring booze on board try rumrunnersflasks.com

Do these work if packing in luggage when flying? I would hate for my bag to come smelling of alcohol. Come to think of it can alcohol be put in luggage on a plane? New to that part.

Do these work if packing in luggage when flying? I would hate for my bag to come smelling of alcohol. Come to think of it can alcohol be put in luggage on a plane? New to that part.

I have not yet used rumrunners but have read a lot about them on these boards for my upcoming cruise. I've read repeatedly that no one has ever been caught with rum runners, and that they are extremely durable, including in checked airline luggage.

One person even said they stood on the flask and it held up, but I'm NOT going to try that!

Additionally, I've heard that if you remove the bladder from a box of wine, it too will get thru the screening process, similar to a rum runner.

get some RR's. I just got some and they ship quick too and not too pricey and reusable. I got the cruise package which sent 3 large bags( each one can hold a whole bottle, 750 mL) and 3 small ones for your pocket to bring around with you (8 oz). It was at my house in 3 days. The people looking at the scanners are looking for bottles and weapons so they dont even pay attention to the plastic flasks (they really dont even show up, just looks normal). If you fill them up before your flight, u might take a chance of the airline looking in your bag and might take them b/c its unlabled. I am leaving my liquor in the org bottle and then transfering them to the flasks when I get to FLL before I board the ship, most likely in the bathroom at the airport. Others have put it in their suitcase before they fly and really havent any problems. These plastic flasks are great, your can freeze them, they dont break, etc. Just look at the website. You can bring wine, but have to pay a corkage fee of 15 bucks. I have heard some people play dumb and leave it in their checked or carry on bags. Some can get on withouth paying the fee and are happy. If you do get caught, just say that you want to pay to corkage fee.

wrap them up in like a towel or heavy sweatshirt, just put padding around it.

And for added safety, put inside a plastic bag so that if it somehow breaks, it won't leak on the clothes.

I've packed a bottle, well wrapped, and not had a problem but I wouldn't take a chance. Use the rumrunner.

And for added safety, put inside a plastic bag so that if it somehow breaks, it won't leak on the clothes.

I've packed a bottle, well wrapped, and not had a problem but I wouldn't take a chance. Use the rumrunner.

Rugby explained why (s)he doesn't want to do that.. If their checked bag is searched by TSA, they may not allow liquids not labeled.

exactly. I dont want my liquor taken away before I even get to port. With security, they might get suspicious and take it even though all you have to do is smell it but be safe than sorry. Probably going to ups store and get some bubble wrap to be safe, but ziplock bag also, if it fits.

I flew from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale via New York City with rum runners containing Bailey's (for the morning coffee) in my checked bags and never had an issue at the airport or the port authority.

Maybe we just got lucky but no one said a word

Depending on what time you get into the airport, if your taking a taxi have them stop at a liquor store on the way to the port. We did it on the way to the hotel and it took about 10 minutes to stop and get a couple of bottles.

About bringing real bottles in your checked luggage, we brought home 5 bottles from our cruise, our luggage was dented and transfered between airlines in New York and they were fine. If you pack them right in the middle of your luggage, it would take alot for them to break.

The cheapest wines on board were in the mid 20's, a couple of choices, $5 and change per glass. Unless your a wine snob, its not really worth the corkage fee in my opinion. I drink Charles Shaw $2.99 at Trader Joes and am proud of it, but couldnt justify spending 15 to drink a 3 dollar bottle of wine.

I have not yet used rumrunners but have read a lot about them on these boards for my upcoming cruise. I've read repeatedly that no one has ever been caught with rum runners, and that they are extremely durable, including in checked airline luggage.

One person even said they stood on the flask and it held up, but I'm NOT going to try that!

Additionally, I've heard that if you remove the bladder from a box of wine, it too will get thru the screening process, similar to a rum runner.

Just got off the Sky on Friday and used the Rum Runners and they worked great. We filled them up the night before boarding the crusie, and then in each port. had them in both checked bags and carry ons, got them through every time. Saved us a TON on alcohol. We did buy glasses of wine with dinner (not terribly overpriced $6-9 a glass plus 18%) and a couple martinis on 2-1 night. You can bring your mixers too, no problem. We packed a suitcase full of mixers (soda, sour, juice, water) and had no problem.

As for the box of wine, I can see where removing the box and bringing the bladder would work, similar concept to the rum runners....but, why would you want to drink wine in a box? Unless I am missing great advances in bixed wine quality, I can't see any reason to drink that stuff. Just my opinion. :)

If you fill them up before your flight, u might take a chance of the airline looking in your bag and might take them b/c its unlabled. I am leaving my liquor in the org bottle and then transfering them to the flasks when I get to FLL before I board the ship, most likely in the bathroom at the airport. Others have put it in their suitcase before they fly and really havent any problems.

You really don't need to do all that. Fill them at home, put them in large ziplock bags and stow them in your shipped luggage. They'll arrive safe and sound with a lot less effort...and no risk of bottle breakage.

CG

Wouldn't water bottles in your checked luggage work just as well?

What a great idea!!!

Just kidding.:D

They're not stupid. They know all about vodka in water bottles, rum in coke bottles, whiskey in mouthwash bottles.

"gopdon" - When you mentioned using the rum runners in your carry-ons, was this when you originally boarded or in the ports as well? We will be traveling on the SKY in May and know someone in our group that is interested in using the rum runners as well. Just wondered if you could provide a little more detail on how you used/packed/carried them. Many Thanks!

McB

Some of you will violate rules about smuggling alcohol, but ostracize those that want to adjust the DSC?!!

VERY, VERY HYPOCRTICAL WOULDN"T YOU SAY?:confused:

It's OKAY to break the rules, if it's a rule YOU want break, but if someone wants to adjust (which is permissible, according to NCL) the DSC, they are out of line?

That's a total pile of BS, and you know it!

I'm not talking to anyone but those that weighed in so strongly in favor of the DSC, and you know who you are.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME !!, you are taking money that the cruise line needs to pay their poor under wage help!:mad:

Some of you will violate rules about smuggling alcohol, but ostracize those that want to adjust the DSC?!!

VERY, VERY HYPOCRTICAL WOULDN"T YOU SAY?:confused:

It's OKAY to break the rules, if it's a rule YOU want break, but if someone wants to adjust (which is permissible, according to NCL) the DSC, they are out of line?

That's a total pile of BS, and you know it!

I'm not talking to anyone but those that weighed in so strongly in favor of the DSC, and you know who you are.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME !!, you are taking money that the cruise line needs to pay their poor under wage help!:mad:

I haven't done either, but I confess I am considering bringing alcohol on my next cruise. If I bring alcohol to drink in my room that I would not have had otherwise, I am not stealing from anyone. NCL assumes I would buy it from them, but I know what my budget and my habits are so they are just guessing. Reducing the DSC is definitely, no guessing about it, taking directly out of the crew's pocket. I see a HUGE difference. I can't pretend that bringing alcohol is not breaking the rules, which is why I haven't decided. But I don't see how you can compare the two. :confused:

Doesn't matter to me if someone brings alcohol on board. When they stiff the crew, tip wise, they're taking away from what that crew persons expected income is, and they work hard for it. Sorry, but I see a difference

You're right though, NCL has allowed the DSC to be changed. They should close that loophole! :D

Archived