Dramamine and Alcohol...

JES11583

I am a nurse, not a pharmacist, but I do have some info to share. Bonine and all other motion-sickness meds are antihistamines. And, just like allergy pills there are formulations that are less-drowsy. But all antihistamines can cause drowsiness. Antihistamines have a CNS (Central Nervous System) depressant quality. Alcohol also is a CNS depressant. Combining the two increases this effect. Depending on the individual's tolerance, CNS depression can range from slight drowsiness to respiratory failure (on the extreme end).

So, mixing the two is not advised. But, not all individuals respond the same. Its a risk you have to decide for yourself.

May I suggest ginger pills? We start taking them twice a day (two with breakfast, two with dinner), and we've never experienced sea sickness on two cruises. And we had some rough seas two nights of our last cruise.

There are no side effects, and you can drink. I continue taking it for a few days after the cruise as well.

Having said this, I also take Bonine as a backup, just in case. But I've never had to use it.

My kids used the ginger pills too (they were 11 and 14 at the time).

Now I use the non drowsy stuff. But I rem the morning of the first full day I felt awful. Could not tell if it was sea sickness or a hangover or a little of both ( we had a few DOD the night before) I took a Dramamine and then felt great. And learned it helps with hangovers. I tried it once the next day after a bachelorette party and it worked great

I would never suggest mixing any type of medicine with alcohol, you never know what the outcome for your body is going to happen and you want to enjoy your vacation. this is something i find has helped a few people and there is no medical ingredients in this product (as i know not everyone enjoys ginger) sour candies seem to work the best i have found, the one I have used and have handed out to people on my cruises is one you can find at any maternity store it called Preggie pops they come in the form of little candies or lollipops different flavors and are meant for naseau as pregnant women do get naseaus but can be used for anyone. the few people i have handed them out to on the cruise were so surprised how good they worked they thanked me later so much .

On one of my last cruises, someone in my group needed some dramamine and I remember something about not mixing it with Alcohol..

Can you mix the two?? Also, is dramamine drowsy???

2 of my friends who have never cruised before are going, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks! hehe

I get EXTREMELY seasick so I took Bonine the day before for the car ride down and after the cruise as well to help with the "sea legs" I drank a lot on each cruise and never had any interactions.

Archived