Which Season?

erms

We have never been to this area and wondered from experienced cruisers when is the best time of the year for travel... not to hot not too cold. I would love to go when everything is blooming but worry about it being a bit too cool for me.

Thanks for any insight,

erms

We have never been to this area and wondered from experienced cruisers when is the best time of the year for travel... not to hot not too cold. I would love to go when everything is blooming but worry about it being a bit too cool for me. Thanks for any insight, erms

For doing a cruise in the Baltics, you really have an easy choice . . . summer! The weather is the warmest during this period and days are long. As I re-call, most of the major cruise lines don't have offerings in later fall, winter and/or early spring. As an example, right now, March 3, in St. Petersburg, it is cloudy with a little snow, low at 20 °F, high of 31 °F. Sunrise at 7:57 am and sunset at 6:25 pm. Generally, later June, plus all of July and August are considered the best for having better weather, longer days, etc.

Here are the average for St. Petersburg for during the time of our visiting:

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Moscow, 7-30: Sunrise 5:33 am; Sunset 9:28 pm; total 16h, 5m.

St. Petersburg, 7-31: Sunrise 5:40 am; Sunset 10:29 pm; total 16h, 49m.

St. Petersburg, 8-1: Sunrise 5:42 am; Sunset 10:26 pm; total 16h, 44m.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For doing a cruise in the Baltics, you really have an easy choice . . . summer! The weather is the warmest during this period and days are long. As I re-call, most of the major cruise lines don't have offerings in later fall, winter and/or early spring. As an example, right now, March 3, in St. Petersburg, it is cloudy with a little snow, low at 20 °F, high of 31 °F. Sunrise at 7:57 am and sunset at 6:25 pm. Generally, later June, plus all of July and August are considered the best for having better weather, longer days, etc.

Here are the average for St. Petersburg for during the time of our visiting:

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Moscow, 7-30: Sunrise 5:33 am; Sunset 9:28 pm; total 16h, 5m.

St. Petersburg, 7-31: Sunrise 5:40 am; Sunset 10:29 pm; total 16h, 49m.

St. Petersburg, 8-1: Sunrise 5:42 am; Sunset 10:26 pm; total 16h, 44m.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Looks like July... Thank you so much for your help and all the trouble you went to help.

Esther in California

The first cruise ship this year will arrive in Stockholm on May 7 and the season will continue well into September.

If you want to avoid both cold and hot weather July may not be the best month. The reason is it could be uncomfortably hot for city sightseeing, and AC is not standard everywhere in the area. July is for many in the area a holiday time. This means that not only will we have many visitors from abroad, but also Swedes take the opportunity to visit the capital during their holiday. Tourist places will be crowded, but there may be less traffic because we who live here have left to spend our vacation somewhere else.

Looking at average temperatures will give an idea of what to expect. But weather here varies a lot and can be anything between cold, windy and raining to warm and sunny. A good day in May or September can be warmer than a bad day in July. But really hot weather only happens in July or early August. Expect temperatures somewhere between 50 and 80 during the day. In July and early August even over 90. This means that whichever time you decide to come it is best to be prepared for all kinds of weather. Bring clothes that can be worn in layers.

In my mind the best times to visit Stockholm is either late May through June, or late August to middle of September. Weather is often pleasant without being too warm. The places most visitors want to see are a little less crowded than they are during July and early August.

Archived