Going between traditional and anytime dining

irvine

We'll be onboard Sapphire Princess on May 16 to Alaska. I just spoke to a Princess rep and she said that even though we are in the 2nd seating traditional, we can also go to the anytime dining on some nights if we like the menu in the anytime dining rooms. She also said that dishes from other dining rooms cannot be orderd and brought over to the traditional dining room. This is different from what I've read in this forum. I've read that once we are in TD, we cannot switch to AD. Also, I read somewhere that dishes from other restaurants can be ordered adn brought over to the dinning room you are in if everyone in your party can't agree on a common dining venue for the meal.

Does anyone have any experience with the above that can comment? Thanks!

The menus in Anytime and Traditional are identical.

I do not think that you would be allowed to switch in and out of Traditional dining in the way you describe. It has been posted on here that most dining room managers will ask to see your sailcard to ascertain to which dining room/system you have been assigned.

Don't think dishes would be brought over from the surcharge diningrooms, ie. Sabatinis or Crown Grill. That would surely defeat the object of having alternative diningrooms.

I think you might have spoken to a Princess rep that does not have a clue. The menus are the same in Anytime and Traditional. Also on many ships they check cards and do not let Traditional diners into Anytime. Traditional diners have a reserved seat at a set time. If they try to switch over it causes lines in the Anytime dining Rooms.

I think you might have spoken to a Princess rep that does not have a clue.

Truer words were never typed! :eek: No wonder some new cruisers don't enjoy their cruises as much as they should. Who ever spoke with irvine just flat didn't know what they were talking about.

As posted above the menus are the SAME and if you want to eat at different times daily just switch to Anytime Dining. I also suggest if you have any other questions post them here on CC and get the correct answers.

As awhcruiser mentions, the menu is the same on AD and TD DRs. However, each AD DR on the Sapphire has "one" signature dish which remains the same throughout the cruise and is not on the main menu. On another Sapphire cruise, we were told that if in TD we wanted the signature dish from one of the AD DR, it would be possible if we let the headwaiter know one day in advance. (Headwaiter is not the Sr. waiter serving your table). It is just not worth the hassle as the menus have plenty of choices.

We'll be onboard Sapphire Princess on May 16 to Alaska.

She also said that dishes from other dining rooms cannot be orderd and brought over to the traditional dining room.

I agree, the rep didn't have a clue. However, if you're unhappy with traditional dining you can make a permanent switch to anytime dining and let them give your traditional seating to someone on the waiting list.

That Princess rep needs a new line of work-

But to be fair==most reps are people that never been on a cruise ship. You can call the cruiselines with the same question over and over-- and get many different replies.

But how sad for the people they are giving VERY wrong information to.

I hope the Supervisor gets ahold of this information so the agent can be corrected.

It really isnt right to be switiching back and forth-- especially when all the dining rooms have the same menu

While it's very possible that the Princess rep didn't have a clue, it's also possible that you mistook "Alternate" for "Anytime" dining; or, perhaps she mistook Alternate for Anytime. While you can't go between Traditional and Anytime -- which have the exact same menus, you can go to any of the alternate, specialty restaurants at any time and go back to your Traditional dining table. It's true that you cannot order anything from one of the alternate, specialty restaurants in either Anytime or Traditional dining.

We'll be onboard Sapphire Princess on May 16 to Alaska. I just spoke to a Princess rep and she said that even though we are in the 2nd seating traditional, we can also go to the anytime dining on some nights if we like the menu in the anytime dining rooms. She also said that dishes from other dining rooms cannot be orderd and brought over to the traditional dining room. This is different from what I've read in this forum. I've read that once we are in TD, we cannot switch to AD. Also, I read somewhere that dishes from other restaurants can be ordered adn brought over to the dinning room you are in if everyone in your party can't agree on a common dining venue for the meal.

If this is indeed what your were told by the Princess rep, something is definitely wrong here. As said, menus are the same in anytime diningrooms and traditional. There would be no reason to order something from the traditional diningroom to be delivered to anytime and vice versa, it's the same exact food/menu.

I am going to guess, either the rep 'read' it wrong, or you mistook the word alternate for the word anytime, maybe?

If this is indeed what your were told by the Princess rep, something is definitely wrong here. As said, menus are the same in anytime diningrooms and traditional. There would be no reason to order something from the traditional diningroom to be delivered to anytime and vice versa, it's the same exact food/menu.

I am going to guess, either the rep 'read' it wrong, or you mistook the word alternate for the word anytime, maybe?

I am quite sure I used the words "anytime dining". I read here that the themed anytime dining room each has their own specialty dish on top of the same traditional dining menu (ie. Santa Fe has a fajitas dish and Pacific Moon has some Asian dish). I even mentioned the names Santa Fee and Pacific Moon as the dining rooms because I would be interested in trying some mexican and asian dishes in those restaurants. My question to her was, if those dishes can be brough over to the traditional dining room if I wanted to try them and I am in the traditional seating.

I prefer more grand and formal dining environment on a cruise. I gather that the traditional dining option is the way to go. Does anyone know if the traditional dining room is indeed more formal than the other anytime dining room? Are the anytime dining rooms smaller than the traditional dining room? I really appreciate all your helpful replies. Thanks!

I prefer more grand and formal dining environment on a cruise. I gather that the traditional dining option is the way to go. Does anyone know if the traditional dining room is indeed more formal than the other anytime dining room? Are the anytime dining rooms smaller than the traditional dining room? I really appreciate all your helpful replies. Thanks!
The dress code is exactly the same; the dining rooms are essentially exactly the same and you'll notice little or no dress difference; on the Sapphire and Diamond, the Anytime dining rooms have a different decor and one menu item that's different (but never changes).

The dress code is exactly the same; the dining rooms are essentially exactly the same and you'll notice little or no dress difference; on the Sapphire and Diamond, the Anytime dining rooms have a different decor and one menu item that's different (but never changes).

Are the anytime dining rooms smaller than the traditional dining room since there are a few anytime dining rooms on the ship?

On Sapphire & Diamond -- yes; because there are 4 AD DR. But one of the AD DR is allocated to TD for early TD as overflow until 8:00 pm.

Are the anytime dining rooms smaller than the traditional dining room? I really appreciate all your helpful replies. Thanks!

Not so on the Sapphire & Diamond. See my post above.

My error, thanks for the correction. I honestly thought they did away with the signature dish in each different diningroom (as I think it was only offered on those two ships). Again, appreciate the correction. ;)

Are the anytime dining rooms smaller than the traditional dining room since there are a few anytime dining rooms on the ship?
On the Sapphire and Diamond, the two Anytime dining rooms were split into two so that there are four smaller Anytime dining rooms. Together, the four hold as many diners as the two Anytime dining rooms on other Grand-class ships and altogether, accommodate approximately twice as passengers as the one Traditional dining room.

I also have to add here that it is possible a traditional diner may be allowed into the anytime DRs---- this seems to vary from ship to ship, and it does sound as if it's becoming less and less tolerated. But please, if any of you are considering trying this, remember that it will extend the waiting time for cruisers who signed up for anytime dining. It doesn't seem fair to have the best of both, with a seat saved for you in traditional while taking up another in anytime. Doesn't sound right, does it??

I have found that, on the ships having three DR's, the TD in the rear, that the DR on level 5 rarely has a waiting line while the DR on level 6 always has. I guess people don't want to eat in the basement.

Ron

If you select AD how are you expected to tip your servers since they change every day?

That's what auto tipping is designed for. You are charged a daily rate ( I think $10.50/day/pp) and that is distributed between all the wait staff, stewards, etc. You will also have 15% added to every bar bill, but there is no need to tip anyone extra. However, if you get excellent service from your steward or a particular waiter, many people give some extra in cash to them at the end of the cruise.

On our Feb CB cruise they were actually asking us for our ship cards to prove that we were AD. It was not done every night but I would say in the 2 weeks we were on board we were asked about 5 times. The head waiter said they were trying to stop the Traditional Diners from taking up AD seats since it has been a problem.

That's what auto tipping is designed for. You are charged a daily rate ( I think $10.50/day/pp) and that is distributed between all the wait staff, stewards, etc. You will also have 15% added to every bar bill, but there is no need to tip anyone extra. However, if you get excellent service from your steward or a particular waiter, many people give some extra in cash to them at the end of the cruise.

^ That's what I thought :)

Aren't TDers charged for auto-tipping too though? Or do they tip their waiters more because they are getting more personalized service?

I did AD on the Sapphire last week with a party of 9 adults and 4 kids. We never had a problem getting a reservation as long as we called before 5pm. However, they only had availability most of the time around 8pm.

A couple of first time cruisers, with a young boy of around 8 were on early traditional on the Emerald in Feb. Whilst chatting with us on deck, they openly admitted to going into AD if they felt like eating later. I asked if they had to get permission and they said not. No one asked to see their card in AD.

Imagine if Anytime Diners turned up in TD and took their seats without permission :eek:

Archived