St. Croix, are we trying to do too much in one day?

louieond

Hi all, we're doing a morning shore excursion that ends at 12:15 pm and were wondering if it's worth it (or possible) to take a cab to Christiansted. I think I read somewhere that it's a 20min. ride to C-sted. Does anyone know what the taxi rate is for 4 people? What we want to know is, will a coupe of hours in C-sted be worth the expense of the taxi ride and the time to get there or should we just relax and enjoy whats in Fredricksted. Thanks!

As I recall, it's more like 30-40 min to C'sted, and that can vary depending on traffic. Someone on-island will have to confirm price, but it's probably at least $30/pp. C'sted is definitely worth seeing; in 2-3 hours, you can cover the "downtown" area and the fort. And it has a lovely position on the harbor. So if you have the $$ and at least 4-5 hours before sailing, yes, I'd go to C'sted.

You will be disapointed as there is very little to do or see in Fredricksted, almost a ghost town with alot of closed up store fronts.... Only good thing is the beach. As I said in the title, rent a car. There is 1 rental service thats about a 3 minute walk from the pier, I would suggest you contact them via email and make a reservation. I rented 1 and the cost was $38.00 for the day, sure beats the cab price. The island is not hard to navigate, just read your map and go.....Have fun, we do....

• 2 weeks later...

Sure you can take a taxi from Frederiksted to Christiansted. Its $11 per person, one way. Christiansted has Fort Christianvearn and some other historic buildings, you can pull them up online and see if that would interest you. And there are shops, bars, resaturants, a little ferry that goes across to Protestant Cay right in the harbor.

If you decide to stay in Frederiksted you could visit Fort Frederik for a bit, look in some of the shops, there aren't as many as Christiansted but there are some and usually some vendors set up on Cruise ship days right on the boardwalk area, you can spend some time on the beach - Fort Frederik Beach which is right there by the dock, next to the Fort. And there are places to get drinks and food.

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...

Archived