Open Seating

cocos

I´ve read other threads about it... but I really still don´t understand :(

I know I must make a reservation each day for that day´s dinner.

But what happens if we´re late?

And if I don´t make the reservation, can´t we go to dinner at the main restaurant?

Also, if we make a reservation, are we going to be seated each night at a diferent table?

I´m just terribly confused :eek:

Of course you can just show up and if there is space you will be seated, immediatly, just like at a restaurant. Unlike a restaurant, sharing a table with others is encouraged, which means more people can dine at the same time, just like in Fixed Seating.

Or you can try to reserve a table each morning. You can request the same table and if it's available, you will be accommodated. If you are sailing in a Deluxe Suite the Neptune Lounge will handle the reservation, for you.

There have also been occasional reports that some have been able to make standing reservations for the same time, every night. It does not hurt to ask. So much depends on how full the ship is and how many want to dine, when you do.

I don't know what happens if you are late. Chances are after a spell, they will give your table to a walk-in.

We were assigned open seating, and I felt really concerned & confused about it too, until we saw how it works.

You can make reservations, and you should try to be prompt, at least within 15 mins of your res. time. You can also just show up at the diningroom when it's convenient for you, and you can usually be seated right away. You might not get the same table every night (we didn't), but I think you'll be happy with the level of service you'll recieve. We asked for, and received, a table for 2 each evening, both by reservation and by walk-up. It was pretty painless, and here I was, all worried about nothing!

From my experience, you can make a reservation & then when you show up you'll stand in line. Or, you can simply show up whenever you feel like eating and you'll be seated immediately (provided you will eat with other people). So, unless you're trying for your own table, skip the reservation and just show up. The reservations are only for the unpopular times anyway - I prefer to eat around 7 and never had to wait.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

From my experience, you can make a reservation & then when you show up you'll stand in line. Or, you can simply show up whenever you feel like eating and you'll be seated immediately (provided you will eat with other people). So, unless you're trying for your own table, skip the reservation and just show up. The reservations are only for the unpopular times anyway - I prefer to eat around 7 and never had to wait.

No, you do not stand in line if you have a reservation. You will recieve a reservation card in your cabin. You show up at the reserved time, present your card and are immediately seated. You do not stand in line with those who don't have reservations. Your reservation is held for 15 minutes. So if you reserved 5:15, your reservation is held until 5:30.

If you don't have a reservation, you may be seated right away or may have to wait. It will depend on available unreserved tables.

No, you do not stand in line if you have a reservation. You will recieve a reservation card in your cabin. You show up at the reserved time, present your card and are immediately seated. You do not stand in line with those who don't have reservations. Your reservation is held for 15 minutes. So if you reserved 5:15, your reservation is held until 5:30.

If you don't have a reservation, you may be seated right away or may have to wait. It will depend on available unreserved tables.

I'm speaking of my experiences on 2 cruises - Veendam last April and Westerdam last month. In every case when I had a reservation I stood in line - once for a rather long time. In every case without a reservation I was seated immediately. Half the time I opted to be seated with others - the other half we got a table for 2.

Perhaps your experience was different - people with a reservation SHOULD be seated quickly, but that wasn't how it worked on my cruises. Besides - I'd rather just show up when I feel like eating instead of deciding that morning what time I'd be hungry for dinner.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Open seating is great! I didn't think I would like it but I did.

We were on the Veendam last year and were seated every night except Master Chef Night! That was the only night with a hiccup. So just have a reservation on that night or go to the specialty restaurant or the lido.

We walked up and got seated right away! (Except Master Chef Night) It was really great meeting different people every night

Gail

Archived