Can you pre load your ss card?

I was wondering if I could call carnival and go ahead and put money on my ss card? Is that possible?:D

We've put $500.00 on it via Carnival's web site.

Just go through the process as if you're buying a gift certificate.

When the time comes to put in your address, put in your booking number instead.

You will get a confirmation email.

Make sure you print it out and bring it with you (just in case) :rolleyes:

It took a couple of weeks for it to appear on my account when I looked at it on their website.

I do this for every cruise. I don't like using credit cards so this is the way I put money on my account without having a big bill at the end. Make sure you print out the email confirmation once it has cleared your bank. Last time they sent two email's one that I ordered them and one that it is on my ship board account. Just bought some this morning. (my tips are already taken care of) :D I don't like having to come up with a big chunk of money for the cruise and you never even see the money. If you don't spend what is on your account you will get a check under your door on the last morning of the cruise (I like it when I get money back):cool:

Rather than screw around with the website and everything, I just call 1-800-906-7603 and tell them you want to put some cash on your S&S. Don't use the term "Funship Dollars" or they'll kick you back to the Gifts Dept. All you need is your booking number. And if you booked through Carnival, you can see the OBC show up on your account within a few days.

I'm so thrilled. I love the idea that instead of putting a hundred dollars to the side each payday, I can actually just put it on the S&S card. Wow. Thanks again Cruise Critic for valuable information!!!!!!!

I always pay with cash so this will cut down on having to carry that much extra for the pre-trip stay. #1 Question : I always pay Cash at the pusers desk and then close the account late on the last night and get back from the purser whatever cash of mine I had coming back. DOES THIS ALSO WORK THE SAME ? Will I be able to go and close my account and get back my cash that I PRE-PAID on the last night ? I have just called Carnival about this and they tell me that while you can pre-pay your S&S that you still have to activate your card at the Port ? Does that mean you still go and put down cash at the start of the cruise but just not as much ? This is great info and I hope I can use it this June on Imagination. Thanks all for you time..:)

I am so excited. I just put $600 OBC on my account. I didn't know it was that easy. We should be in good shape on our November 2009 cruise. Thanks!!!!!!!!! Printed out my receipt and my e-mail confirmation. Put all that with the fruit basket receipt I ordered for my mom and her friend.

I am so excited. I just put $600 OBC on my account. I didn't know it was that easy. We should be in good shape on our November 2009 cruise. Thanks!!!!!!!!! Printed out my receipt and my e-mail confirmation. Put all that with the fruit basket receipt I ordered for my mom and her friend.

:D Good for you ! :D Did they say how much you could put down or anything about activation ?

I always pay with cash so this will cut down on having to carry that much extra for the pre-trip stay. #1 Question : I always pay Cash at the pusers desk and then close the account late on the last night and get back from the purser whatever cash of mine I had coming back. DOES THIS ALSO WORK THE SAME ? Will I be able to go and close my account and get back my cash that I PRE-PAID on the last night ? I have just called Carnival about this and they tell me that while you can pre-pay your S&S that you still have to activate your card at the Port ? Does that mean you still go and put down cash at the start of the cruise but just not as much ? This is great info and I hope I can use it this June on Imagination. Thanks all for you time..:)

You bet. Works the same. Activation just means you must register your credit card as the 'back-up' to your S&S card. But your cash that you pre-paid is used first. In case you go over your pre-paid cash, the cc is there, like usual.

And yes, you can still go to the desk at the end of the cruise and get your remainder back if you haven't blown it all.

To quote that crappy JG Wentworth commercial on late night t.v. - "IT'S MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOOOOW!!!!"

Go Cats

You bet. Works the same. Activation just means you must register your credit card as the 'back-up' to your S&S card. But your cash that you pre-paid is used first. In case you go over your pre-paid cash, the cc is there, like usual.

And yes, you can still go to the desk at the end of the cruise and get your remainder back if you haven't blown it all.

To quote that crappy JG Wentworth commercial on late night t.v. - "IT'S MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOOOOW!!!!"

Go Cats

Exactly ! :-) I really hate to use my credit card as the back up though.. Can't I just go to the desk at the start and put another $100.00 or so down to get the Acct active or if I pre-load the card do I have to use the credit card to back it ? Thanks..:)

I have a hard time sending money to big corporations over the internet. Yes, I have 'trust' issues when it comes to cash transactions, especially when I don't have a product on my doorstep in a few days to show something for the money I sent.

Anyhoo, I also print out the email conformations and receipts, but one last thing I do is check my account on the Carnival website to see if the money has been posted. Usually takes a couple of days, but for my 'peace of mind', I sign in on the main website, go to 'My Cruise', 'Manage Bookings', and click on 'Modify Booking'. Scroll down to see your account and payments and on 'Booking Charge/Credit', it shows your S&S credit.

Makes me feel better anyway.

Go cats

Exactly ! :-) I really hate to use my credit card as the back up though.. Can't I just go to the desk at the start and put another $100.00 or so down to get the Acct active or if I pre-load the card do I have to use the credit card to back it ? Thanks..:)

I don't know the answer to this one...

Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Go Cats

I don't know the answer to this one...

Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?...Bueller?

Go Cats

I just hung up from Carnival and they tell me that as long as you pre-pay the REQUIRED amount that you simply board the ship and go to the pursers desk and they will activate your card without more cash or a credit card.. Just like you just walked on and put down a cash deposit.. That's Great !! I can't believe that no one had a Thread like this befour now ??:D Thanks once more..

Just out of curiosity, why would you do this, rather than put the same amount in a high-yield savings account until it's time to pay the bill? Why give Carnival the interest when you could get it yourself?

Just out of curiosity, why would you do this, rather than put the same amount in a high-yield savings account until it's time to pay the bill? Why give Carnival the interest when you could get it yourself?

This is a common comment on this board. But in this instance, there is no such thing as a 'high-yield savings account'. We're only speaking of a few hundred dollars. Most savings accounts pay 3% or less APY. Which on a $500 investment is less than $20 for the YEAR of investment. Any higher percentage than that generally includes minimum dollar investments much higher than we are speaking of here.

A few examples -

**** offers 2.40% APY, with no monthly fees, no minimum balances, and “no strings”. $1 minimum to open.

**** offers 2.25% APY, no fees, web interface. $1 minimum to open.

**** offers 1.95% APY, no fees, an automatic savings plan. $1 minimum to open.

OR - 3.35% Guaranteed return, short-term commitment

A special online-only rate

bullet_red.gifspacer.gifA guaranteed return

bullet_red.gifspacer.gifA short 4-month term

bullet_red.gifspacer.gifJust $5,000 minimum to open

Go Cats

This is a common comment on this board. But in this instance, there is no such thing as a 'high-yield savings account'. We're only speaking of a few hundred dollars. Most savings accounts pay 3% or less APY. Which on a $500 investment is less than $20 for the YEAR of investment. Any higher percentage than that generally includes minimum dollar investments much higher than we are speaking of here.

A few examples -

**** offers 2.40% APY, with no monthly fees, no minimum balances, and “no strings”. $1 minimum to open.

**** offers 2.25% APY, no fees, web interface. $1 minimum to open.

**** offers 1.95% APY, no fees, an automatic savings plan. $1 minimum to open.

OR - 3.35% Guaranteed return, short-term commitment

A special online-only rate

A guaranteed return

A short 4-month term

Just $5,000 minimum to open

Go Cats

Yes I agree. You get 3% on a savings account? I'm moving to Missouri :D I think my bog-standard savings account pays about 0.75%, and the interest is taxed!!:eek:

Archived