Anchorage on a Sunday afternoon

Mollynme

Hi,

I'll be traveling solo in May and it looks like I'll have about 12 hours to kill after I'm dropped off at the airport in Anchorage (around noon) until my Alaska Air red-eye takes off.

I've downloaded a map of the local bus routes but have no idea what to see or where to go before the last bus returns to the airport around 8:30 pm.

Any suggestions on interesting places to go?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a list of the shuttle pick-up locations for the Heritage Center and was wondering if they were well marked? Some of the locations are at venues closed on Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a list of the shuttle pick-up locations for the Heritage Center and was wondering if they were well marked? Some of the locations are at venues closed on Sunday.

Not sure if they have signs up or not but I have seen the different shuttles (Alaska Zoo, AK Native Center, The Trolley) parked either in front or the side of the ACVB (Visitor's Bureau) Log Cabin there on 4th Avenue. Plus that's manned during the summer tourist season (May 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) so you could always just pop in there and ask them.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Plus that's manned during the summer tourist season (May 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) so you could always just pop in there and ask them.

But not open on Sundays (according to their website). :(

It doesn't look like it's too far from the bus terminal, though so I'll probably check it out.

But not open on Sundays (according to their website). :(

It doesn't look like it's too far from the bus terminal, though so I'll probably check it out.

I'm confused because this is what I see http://www.anchorage.net/878.cfm - This is the ACVB Log Cabin at 4th Avenue and F Street, which is one of the stops on the Alaska Native Heritage Shuttle Schedule. Now this was last year's but don't think they'd stop going there.

Open Daily:

June - August: 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.

May and September: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.

October - April: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m

Do most of the vendors stay open till 6 on sundays?

Usually. Just never know if the weather is miserable (like really pouring) and has been all day and the crowds are down they may leave early. I usually go first thing in the morning but know people that go later and have no complaints.

Archived