To aft or not to aft Eclipse/Soltice

der93711

We want to do the TA on the new Eclipse and love to sail in a sky suite. The ship is supposed to have the same deck plan as the Solstice. The problem with the sky suites is the resort level rooms are under the Cafe. Does anyone know about the noise from the Cafe above? We are light sleepers so I believe this might be a problem unless anyone can tell us differently. Also, considering an aft cabin (if still available). I know it would be quite but how about the movement crossing the Atlantic. Please try to answer if you can as we have to make a quick decision.

Thanks

Der

We want to do the TA on the new Eclipse and love to sail in a sky suite. The ship is supposed to have the same deck plan as the Solstice. The problem with the sky suites is the resort level rooms are under the Cafe. Does anyone know about the noise from the Cafe above? We are light sleepers so I believe this might be a problem unless anyone can tell us differently. Also, considering an aft cabin (if still available). I know it would be quite but how about the movement crossing the Atlantic. Please try to answer if you can as we have to make a quick decision.

Thanks

Der

Unfortunately, I can't speak to cabin noise conditions under the cafe as we were in 9245 on Panorama Deck when we sailed Solstice in Feb., but 9245 was as quiet as a church. As for movement, even though we encountered 12' seas and high winds one day, we felt very little "shudder" and almost no roll. Solstice provides a very smooth ride and I would assume the same will be said for Eclipse.

One of the things you might wish to consider about the aft cabins is that there is no aft bank of elevators on Solstice/Eclipse. You will find elevators located up toward the bow and a second bank roughly amid-ship. We overheard a few complaints from folks about the distance they had to walk from far aft to the elevators before they could go to other parts of the ship. I personally look at walking and climbing stairs as a hedge against excessive weight gain while on a cruise, but if walking isn't your thing, it is something to consider.

When coming across the pond, be sure to catch some of the sunsets on your evenings at sea. Absolutely magnificent.

Thanks

Der

We were in SS 2148 aft on the Solstice inaugural, Nov. 23. We loved it, no problems with noise from above. Have just booked CC 2152 on the Eclipse TA for Oct. 31, 2010. We have the same cabin booked for the Equinox TA in Nov. We love the Resort deck. :D

Thank you both for your replies.

Bob, we just booked the TA on the Eclipse in ss 1667 (aft on the penthouse deck) as we did not know the answers to the noise on the resort deck. I would love more feedback about the aft cabins before I feel comfortable about our choice. Celebrity has got us scrambling for decisions as good rooms are going faster than I expected.

der

Hi there! Certainly understand your concern. For example, CC on the Sky Deck on the Constellation, located directly beneath the main pool deck. Because of crew dragging lounge chairs across "concrete" early in the morning, this is definitely a potential noise concern for some folks.

However, the Resort Deck is beneath the buffet as you know which is carpeted for the most part. Noise should not be an issue. The other thought is why would Celebrity place "Suites" in area that could experience unusual added noise? Although a Sky Suite is wonderful, you could have a C1 on aft on the Resort deck with a beautiful 180 degree view for probably half of the cost!

Have fun!

We recently sailed on the Solstice in February. My parents stayed in 2146 and said they had loud noises above every night starting at about 4 am. They hated it. My husband and I were also in a Sky Suite, but on a lower deck (9299). We had no noise issues at all.

The Sky Suites on the Resort Deck don't get nearly as much light due to the overhang, however the balcony is more private. Our suite was very bright and airy.

Archived