Tipping Over The Suggestion

Lowe6

When tipping over the requirements how much is appropriate. On my last cruise I tipped an extra $20- & gave the room steward a bottle of wine. Which btw he totally loved that expression of thanks. What amount over is appropriate for one who has done a great job. Just wanting some opinions. Thanks a bunchers !!!!

That is a tough question since it depends on how satisfied with your service. We pretipped our room steward $20 and a large chocolate bar. Afterwards, we gave him the recommended rate since he didn't really do anything above and beyond.

Our asst waiter did a great job and busted her buns. We overtipped but I'm not sure what the percentage was.

I know this doesn't help, but that is a hard decision to make.

We tipped about double the suggested, we felt the service was superior, and they all deserved it. We also gave them all phone cards as an added bonus, and gave phone cards to non-tipped people who we felt did something special to make our cruise that much better.

Anne

If we get good service, we always tip over the suggested amount, especially if someone does something special for us. I have also given phone cards and once, when we were on a ship on Halloween, I gave our waiters and cabin steward bags of candy. They loved it. In fact our assistant waiter kept on telling me which candy she ate each day!

I've heard some phone cards do not work in some areas.

I wanted to do this (give phone cards to crew members) as an extra on our upcoming AOS cruise in Jan.

Which cards are best to buy for the crew members to use in "most any" port?

Thanks

Re the calling cards, you just need to be sure they are 'international' ones, and confirm they can be used from anywhere to anywhere.....not always easy to find though....

Thanks Michuck, I'll look for them. Any suggestions on where to begin looking?

I usually give at least 20% more as on RCCL I am usually receive good service. I just cruised with some coworkers on a 4 nite cruise and instead of $14 each to RS and waiter I gave $22 and $20. On a 7 nite cruise with my family of 4 the rec amt for RS and Waiter is $100 we tipped $130. The asst waiter also gets tipped extra but not as much ( on our last cruise we were scratching our heads as to what our AW did other then give us water and rolls). The waiter 75% of the time cleared our plates. We did have one coupleat our table stiff the waitstaff so I was glad that overtipping helps make up for it.

Archived