GAY CRUISES - Are they worth it?

ShipsInBergen

Ok, so here's the deal. I have been on a couple of cruises with friends and loved the experience. The ships are amazing and it's great to be at sea, etc. but the passenger mix can be a little older than I am (we have been the last ones in the club several times). Despite this I have really enjoyed the cruises and met some amazing people.

I've read on these boards about RSVP and Atlantis cruises. As a 20yr old male I think they do look really good fun, but are they actually worth the extra cost? I can imagine them being very sleazy and a little too camp for me. How do they actually differ form an average cruise? Is it really a week long party, or is that just the impression the companies give to sell cabins?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated :)

Ok, so here's the deal. I have been on a couple of cruises with friends and loved the experience. The ships are amazing and it's great to be at sea, etc. but the passenger mix can be a little older than I am (we have been the last ones in the club several times). Despite this I have really enjoyed the cruises and met some amazing people.

I've read on these boards about RSVP and Atlantis cruises. As a 20yr old male I think they do look really good fun, but are they actually worth the extra cost? I can imagine them being very sleazy and a little too camp for me. How do they actually differ form an average cruise? Is it really a week long party, or is that just the impression the companies give to sell cabins?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated :)

I have not been on any regular cruises so can't compare, but I can say that the RSVP cruises I have been on have not been sleazy! It is not the floating bathhouse that people think it would be. Yes, ship happens, but it also happens on regular cruises. There may be some camp fun but its not like everyone is dressed up in drag for a stuffy formal second seating. Take a look at the pictures posted at gaycruisepictues.com of our cruise that ended last week. It shows a range of what goes on on an RSVP cruise.

The ads for RSVP and Atlantis may slant towards the young and pretty but you see people of all ages, sizes and backgrounds on the cruise. As for RSVP cruises, you won't see much attitude either - a pretty 20 year old will easily chat with a 60 year old bear. As the ships’ crews always say: the gay passengers seem so happy and ready to have a fun time, no grumpiness or people complaining about everything and demanding a free cruise in compensation.

If you read the RSVP threads here you may have seen a post by somebody that said they had been on 15 cruises and this first gay cruise was their best ever.

Is it a non-stop party? Not really. There is so much going on everyday that it is impossible to do everything. RSVP cruises have 2 afternoon T dances on a 7 day cruise and there is usually dancing outside most nights from 10:30 pm to 2:30 am when it moves to the nightclub till 4:00 am (I believe, I never made it there). Add to that bingo (including Church Bingo), financial planning sessions, line dancing lessons etc. RSVP's schedule starts with some things as early as 10 am and yes there are people up and about that time. Even though I danced till 2:30 am most nights I was also up for each sail-in and I was not alone.

You can dance as much as your heart desire or take in a show and go to bed early - many do. During the day there are lots of activities but you can opt to find a quite area on deck and read a book or listen to music.

The HAL staff get a chance to break out of their regular routines and also get to let their hair down a bit - participation in parties by staff is encouraged. Have you seen waiters serving drinks while dancing with glow sticks around their necks on a regular cruise yet? Have you had waiters chase you down on the dance floor to have their picture taken with them? (Who knows what they tell the family back home!) The Eurodam crew was fantastic and I don't think the ship will ever be the same again. many fondly recall how many RSVP cruises they have worked on.

This past cruise was my best RSVP cruise yet (and the others have been great too) and one of my best vacations ever. Sure, we all came back exhausted but we came back smiling and all aglow. We just need to schedule a few quite days after the cruise to recover.

The extra cost pays for extra entertainment - that you won' find on a regular cruise. I have met some amazing people on RSVP cruises and since many rebook every year every cruise feels like a gay camp reunion. and every year we meet new people.

I still want to go on a regular cruise but I know what to expect - a very different experience form a gay cruise.

Gay cruises may not be for everyone, but they are a blast and for me worth the extra expense.

They are and will be what YOU make it. There's something for everyone. If you're not looking for "party central", just stay away from Atlantis' January cruise. But I think you'll be fine on any other cruise and since the ship for the January cruise is soooo big, I doubt that you won't be able to find a comfortable medium for yourself.

So, YES, gay cruises are definitely worth the extra expense!

Yes they are worth it

I don't think the advertising captures the complete reality of the cruises

They seem to capture the most exciting moment, not just the fun of the cruise if you hold a same sex person's hands (you are not looking behind you). And if you want to shake your booty you don't have to fight off the straight woman (who only have one thing on their mind siggggggggh)

Also, the people with the best bodies get in the pictures (not the rest of us)

I have had so many friends (gay and straight) come back from normal cruises saying that (and no offence is meant whatsoever) the cruise catered to the majority older crowd

With the wide range of cruises, there are cruises that cater to every interest (Caribbean, Europe, Asia)

I have even met many monogamous gay couples on cruises:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the replies so far. They seem to give a very positive impression. I guess something that worries me is the atmosphere at the pool parties. I don't want to feel uncomfortable around other passengers. I've spoken with some friends about the idea of a gay cruise and they've got me thinking its going to be a bunch of creepy men only interested in one thing, and that I would want to steer well clear of the saunas...:rolleyes:

I am young (20) and I keep in good shape through swimming and classical dance. I'm just concerned that it would feel less like a fun holiday and more like a meat market! :eek:

Having read these boards and your responses I'm absolutely sure that this will not be the case. I tend to get along with most people and hope that I could strike up friendships with others from loads of different backgrounds and ages.

Another thing which crossed my mind - what is the reaction to straight people coming along? I have a housemate who very definitely prefers women :D but who seems up for a week of camp cruising! Do people prefer that these cruises are kept exclusively gay?

Sorry for all the questions but it's something I don't know anything about and I'm just trying to get a feel for what they're like. It's sounding very positive!

Thanks for the replies so far. They seem to give a very positive impression. I guess something that worries me is the atmosphere at the pool parties. I don't want to feel uncomfortable around other passengers. I've spoken with some friends about the idea of a gay cruise and they've got me thinking its going to be a bunch of creepy men only interested in one thing, and that I would want to steer well clear of the saunas...:rolleyes:

I am young (20) and I keep in good shape through swimming and classical dance. I'm just concerned that it would feel less like a fun holiday and more like a meat market! :eek:

Having read these boards and your responses I'm absolutely sure that this will not be the case. I tend to get along with most people and hope that I could strike up friendships with others from loads of different backgrounds and ages.

Another thing which crossed my mind - what is the reaction to straight people coming along? I have a housemate who very definitely prefers women :D but who seems up for a week of camp cruising! Do people prefer that these cruises are kept exclusively gay?

Sorry for all the questions but it's something I don't know anything about and I'm just trying to get a feel for what they're like. It's sounding very positive!

Well, I won't call it a meat market. On this cruise it seemed like people were a lot more flirty, but in a fun way. Once in a while you may come accorss someone interested in you that you may not be interested in, but a polite 'no' should do the trick.

Not sure what you understand as 'pool parties'... on the warm weather cruises the dance parties are held around a pool. The is one day that they have pool games and one 'swimsuit pageant' (towel wigs are encouraged :) ) but the rest of the time is is pretty much people hanging out around the pool. On this cruise I did not even get into a pool! Too much else going on and we had ports with great beaches to swim at.

There is no issue with straights on the cruise and there are usually a few, and also a number of lesbians. On our cruise there was a guy that brought his mom - rumour had it that she was looking for a husband for her son!

Your straight housemate will just have to be very, very comfortable with other men making passes at him as he will experinece bouth forms of cruising!! Again, a polite 'no' should would do it. Maybe he could wear a 'Straight but not Narrow' T shirt. :D

For Atlantis Cruises

At this time, the minimum age for our guests is 18. Guests between 18 and 21 must travel with a companion over the age of 25, staying in the same stateroom.

However, you might be able to contact them on a special case by case basis if your close on your birthday(in this economy)

Your friend will completely enjoy himself. I know someone who brought his straight father who had a "heck" of a time

And there are movie nights, lectures, bingo, comedy shows, musicians, computer workshops, trivia contests

and you might be surprised that the cruisers actually go on shore excursions :D

The age thing shouldn't be a problem- I'm not far off 21 and would be looking to sail in 2010.

It seems there are a lot of misconceptions about gay cruises. From what has been posted here it sounds like I'd have a great time. It's really just the cost. I cruise on a very tight budget, and it seems the prices for Atlantis and RSVP are almost double what you would expect to pay for a normal sailing :eek:. Are these the only gay cruises out there? Do any cruise lines designate 'gay' cruises off their own backs?

1. Well there are a few other companies

http://www.travelpride.com/ Travel pride

http://www.zoomvacations.com/ Zoom Vacations

but there even more expensive

----

2. Also Aquafest does a group in a normal cruise

http://**********************************

and is known to be affordable

-----------

3. you might also consider

Alternative Holidays

a land vacation company out of England

which is a little bit more affordable

http://www.alternative-holidays.com/

If you are able, gay cruises are well worth the extra cost. For many, it is a decison of taking more regular sailings or fewer gay sailings. It is amazing how quickly attitudes drop and people relax and warm up to each other on gay sailings. To me, the partying is just a part of our culture and you can participate as much as you'd like.

Happy sailing to all !! :)

1. Well there are a few other companies

2. Also Aquafest does a group in a normal cruise

and is known to be affordable

-----------

I just did the Aquafest Mardi Gras Caribbean cruise from 02/12/09 to 02/22/09, it was alot of fun. paid $749.00 each for an inside room on this 10 day voyage ($1009 total each), got alot of bang for my buck...They do several groups per year and we had some great entertainment

with some private parties....performer Hedda Lettuce and Eric Himan were great.

we had 70's, 80's and 90's dance parties, white party, black party, Valentine party, Mardi Gras night, Tropical party, singles socials, couple socials, Name that Tune game show, Newlywed game show. we also had group lunch and dinner in the dining room, it was much more than

I expected. I did not have much time to see the regular shows on this trip. I am waiting for them to post next winter's trip on their web site.

Also they post the pictures of all their sailings there too.

I think that gay sailings are worth it if the things that are different between a regular one and a gay one matter to you. Being in a totally "safe" (hate that word but you know what I mean) environment is very important to some. Also, the entertainment is very ramped up from the regular entertainment, from the reports I've read. The Atlantis cruise about to go has Kimberly Locke, a runner-up from a few seasons ago on American Idol. While that's not all that impressive (to me), it's still a more notable name than would appear on most cruises. The charters also have enormous sound systems and deck parties so if that's your thing, I think it would be well worth it. I think that being on a gay excusrion in port might be fun, too.

We just sailed on Celebrity Solstice and the cabin that we had would have cost $900 (or about 50%) more on Atlantis. For us, that puts us firmly in the "rather sail more often on a regular cruise" group but I think one day, we'll do a group sailing through AquaFest or something like that.

Having just returned from my fifth Gay Charter, and having cruised over 40 times, here is my perspective. First, the Gay 'surcharge' amounts to doubling the normal pricing in this day of discount fares on all of the lines. What this means is that one ends up paying luxury pricing on a mainstream cruiseline. For my money, I'd rather sail on Crystal anyday than X or HAL. On Crystal, I get better food and service, a nicer cabin and better enrichment/entertainment options. Add that to more interesting ports of call and well traveled passengers for a more stimulating experience. So what added value does one get on an all Gay Charter? First, an all Gay environment, but I live in Fort Lauderdale and get that at home. Second, Gay entertainment with several DJ's, late night dance parties and a few themed parties that focus on costumes and drag. Again, there are plenty of opportunities for me right here at home, of which I do not avail myself. So, for me, the extra value is simply not there. If you are younger and care to dance the night away, live in an area where you are not free to be yourself and enjoy large, all-Gay parties, then a Gay Charter is probably right for you. With that said, I have always met some wonderful people on charters, but have made more lasting friendships with kindred spirits on regular cruises.

Been hanging back hoping someone would express my opinion, but would like to add to what's already been said:

My partner and I have only been on gay cruises (have no desire to do otherwise) and in our four cruises together (2 RSVP/2 Atlantis) we've narrowed our cruise experiences for the following reasons:

1) Friendship, incredible fun, and 'belonging' -- we've met very interesting people (as well as some duds) and made friends, if only for a week, with many, many varied guys. There are literally thousands of new friends just waiting to be met. My most memorable and cherished friendship spawned on a cruise was w/ Eric Rofes, a noted gay author who passed away some time ago but not before I got to know him

2) ADULTS ONLY!

3) As someone else stated, "safe"--no homophobia allowed! Even the excursions booked thru the ship will be all or predominantly gay. Last Oct we piled into a taxi van in PV w/ 8 other strangers from the ship and before long the whole van was singing along w/ Laura Branigan's "Gloria" as we rode thru PV

4) A world w/ a gay majority -- no place else are you going to get a chance to interact with thousands of gay men from all over the world. Esp. in your case as a young gay man, it's a chance to watch and learn from all of us who have come before you--you can explore the grand diversity of our community and figure out if you're a bear, leatherman, twink, club boy, drag queen or just the status quo gay male. You can also learn about gay relationships and what works or maybe doesn't. There are plenty of LTR couples to interact w/ (ok, yeah in that way too!)

And yes, it is what you make it but there is no land-based opportunity like this. And also yes, it can be a bathhouse if you want--just like everything else that's available for your choosing

As far as extra cost, I know that the Atlantis price includes gratuities whereas (I may be wrong since I've never done any other type of cruise) w/ the other cruises I think the gratuities are extra. Make sure of your basis of comparison before you condemn the gay cruise prices as expensive. Besides, where else can you see Charo, alive (or close to it) and in person. Last cruise my partner and I ate lunch in a little cafe on the back of the ship next to Alec Mapa (of Ugly Betty fame) and his mom. Again there is no way to beat the experience.

I've done gay charters and one "regular" cruise. The charters are well worth the extra cost. It is just the most amazing vacation. The entertainment is really good, from the headliners to the cabaret acts. Last year our headliner was Wanda Sykes. This year we had Andy Bell of Erasure and Patti LuPone.

I've met some wonderful friends. I've heard people call it a floating bath house, but that has not been my experience. If you want you can have that experience, but it isn't a requirement.

The best part is being in the majority for one week. It is very empowering. Also, every is having a good time. There are no lines of complainers at guest relations. The guests are usually quite polite to the crew. And there are no lines at the buffet.

The Atlantis cruise about to go has Kimberly Locke, a runner-up from a few seasons ago on American Idol. While that's not all that impressive (to me), it's still a more notable name than would appear on most cruises.

Kimberly Locke and the other Idol stars (including David Hernandez) that Atlantis has signed on put on a great show. We saw them on the London to Barcelona cruise in 2008 (the first trip they were signed to be on).

Also Kimberly and the others were there the whole week and were very approachable and friendly throughout.

The level of the entertainment and the atmosphere on board ship is the reason for the added costs but to many including me is worth it.

Booked for the Auckland to Sydney 2010 cruise and can't wait but before that we are doing the Rome round trip this August/September.

Join us on the Eurodam February 13th, 2010. :)

That cruise looks great! Unfortunatley as I'm at uni in England i'm pretty much restricted to cruising in April, July, August and September, or around Christmas/new year :(. Does anyone know of any good deals on some 2010 sailings in those months?

That cruise looks great! Unfortunatley as I'm at uni in England i'm pretty much restricted to cruising in April, July, August and September, or around Christmas/new year :(. Does anyone know of any good deals on some 2010 sailings in those months?

Well, let's just say that 'gay cruise' and 'good deal' don't go hand in hand. :)

July and August is high season for travel with school kids, as is Christmas time, so I don't think there will be any cheap (regular) cruises then but with the economy down anything is possible.

RSVP has a Mexican cruise this year in April but we don't know what their plans are for 2010 except for the February cruise.

Well, let's just say that 'gay cruise' and 'good deal' don't go hand in hand. :)

July and August is high season for travel with school kids, as is Christmas time, so I don't think there will be any cheap (regular) cruises then but with the economy down anything is possible.

RSVP has a Mexican cruise this year in April but we don't know what their plans are for 2010 except for the February cruise.

Yeah I figured the summer would be an expensive time to go. Do they ever do gay cruises for new year? I'm sure they would cost a lot too, but that's got to be one hell of a party! :D

Archived