Is a sportcoat a must for 1 smart casual night

markser

I don't mind bringing a suit for two formal nights, but would I be very out of place if I don't bring a sportcoat and tie for the one smart casual night on a seven night RCCL cruise (Western Caribbean in late Feb.). If I can skip the sportcoast and wear a nice shirt and slacks instead, I will have that much more space for clothing I will need more (like swim suits, T-shirts, etc.).

You'll get a variety of opinions about this, and the end-result is typically no clear answer to the question and an awful lot of animosity stirred-up. It may be useful to be more specific about your inquiry. Different people have different thresholds for when they feel "out of place," so you may want to clarify, specifically, which percentages would make you feel out of place and which would not.

Just returned from AOS and there were men in sports coats with shirt and no tie, some with nice polo shirts, pants and no jackets, others with dress shirt, tie and suspenders...Get the picture? Should be no problem for you skippingthe jackets and opting for one of the many choices for smart casual.

My personal experience and observations are this:

On RCL most men treated Smart Casual night as another Casual night -- i.e., nice Dockers and a collared shirt.

However, for the most part on Celebrity and HAL men dressed accordingly on Informal or Smart Casual night(s), sporting a jacket & tie.

I have a tux I werar for formal nights and do not take along any other ties or jackets. Smart casual has mostly turned into another casual night on RCI. I take along a couple nice guyabara shirts for those nights. Otherwise I wear a polo shirt or short sleeved button shirt.

Dress yourself to please only you...and of course the eye's of your soul mate. If you want to make the evening special and appreciate that longing and admiring look in the eye's of the love of your life....then take the time to feel special on your special vacation that you have spent so much time (and money) waiting for. If you don't care what you wear, then by all means go that route.

It is all in the choice. The main thing is to enjoy your vacation, feel comfortable, and appreciate the opportunity to be there!

Cheers!

On a cruise a couple of years ago Dh forgot to pack a sport coat for smart casual. Not wanting to wear his suit jacket, he went to the purser's desk to inquire if there was a rental service on board so he could "rent" a sport coat. At the time he was dressed in a dress shirt (no tie), khakis and Topsiders(boat shoes). The young lady at the desk said, "sir, what you have on right now is perfectly acceptable for smart casual. Needless to say, he never packs a sport coat any more. Enjoy your cruise!!!

On our first cruise I brought a nice dark suit for formal nights and a sport coat/dress slacks for smart casual. I decided on our second cruise to just wear the suit minus the vest for smart casual and it worked out great. I did not feel either overdressed or underdressed and our packing was a little easier.

Allovertanguy - that would be perfectly acceptable. I have a tux now but have worn a dark blue sport coat and grey slacks w/shirt & tie to formal night with no problem before I got the tux. This was in the days when it was dressier than it is now.

Archived