Bringing wine bottles aboard?

embee22

I heard we can bring 1 bottle per person (over 21) on the ship. Do you know if this is enforced? Can we bring more once we re-board after a port visit?

Depends on the cruise line. Carnival is a bottle or two per person with a corkage fee if you take it to the dining room. NCL is a reasonable amount (their decision at embarkation) and there is a corkage fee assesed. Royal is no alcohol..period.

AFAIK all mass market cruise lines have the provision that they will hold any alcohol purchased in ports. It is returned on the last night of the cruise.

Enforcement is all over the board. We've returned with alcohol and been told to take it with us as they had no one to check it in and other times when they wanted to hold a bottle of vanilla. We waited in line one time to check our alcohol and finally just went up to the cabin without turning the bottle in.

Charlie

I heard we can bring 1 bottle per person (over 21) on the ship. Do you know if this is enforced? Can we bring more once we re-board after a port visit?

What ship was that? I was on Holland America in January. There was NO limit to the wine, water, and soda pop you could bring on board. (If I'm wrong and there was, I wasn't informed)

However there was a $15.00 corking fee for the wine if taken to the dinning room.

It looks like you are on Carnival. So, here is the policy from their FAQ's:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Okay so now we know that we can bring bottle of wine/champagne per person on-board Carnival...here's my question:

I am part of a large group of friends who hold a wine party in one of our cabins during the cruise. Rather than haul many bottles in our suitcases from home in Ohio to Port Canaveral, I would like to be able to contact a wine distributor in Orlando who could sell it to us, pack it, and ship it to our hotel the night before we sail.

Sound like a plan? Anybody ever do it?

Could we put 1 bottle in our luggage that is checked & 1 bottle in our carry on since they would be checked at different times? I know it's going against the rules but...

Could we put 1 bottle in our luggage that is checked & 1 bottle in our carry on since they would be checked at different times? I know it's going against the rules but...

That is exactly what we have done on Carnival. Done it three times without any issue. We use Wineskins which really pad the bottles to avoid breakage and are sealable in case it does break.

Archived