Questions on Celebrity Century from 1st timer

hmichels

The Atocha/Mel Fisher Museum is a must! The Atocha (Spanish sip) went down with millions is treasures. They found her many years ago and are still bringing up new stuff. We were in the museum one day when they got word of a huge new find. It was so exciting to be there. They have a llttle film demo and then exhibits. If you are into that sort of thing you will enjoy it. The museum is in a big old red stone building right near where the ship dock.s Don't take the ship's excursion. You can just walk right in and it is cheaper. The tram is a good way to have an overview of Key West. Again, you can catch it yourself. Anyone will tell you where.

Enjoy!

One of your replies said that you have been to the Keys often. Can you tell me just where the port is and do you know how far it is from Isla Morada?

Thanks

I am fairly sure the ship docks at or near Mallory Square. Islamorada will be probably about 1 to 2 hours up the keys, depending on traffic. It is a two lane road in and out of the keys, so traffic makes a huge difference in travel times. If there is an accident that requires investigation, they shut down the road as the main investigation folks have to come from "the mainland" and they need to close the area in order to secure evidence. That is the one thing that I love to hate about the keys is that if you are trying to stick to a strict time schedule then you are better off stayin in one place.

If you have time to travel and see the sights then it's a great way to spend a day. If you do head to Islamorada, you HAVE to hit No Name Pub for lunch. It's on Big Pine Key and worth the hunt. :)

One of your replies said that you have been to the Keys often. Can you tell me just where the port is and do you know how far it is from Isla Morada?

Thanks

Hi,:) most times the ship will dock at Mallory Square but....

but....she can also dock at the Naval yard (depending on

how many ships are in KW that day).

If you dock in the Naval yard they offer free shuttle service

to the downtown area.

I have been on sailings that have docked in both places.

As for Islamorada? yep, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours is about right.

I am fairly sure the ship docks at or near Mallory Square. Islamorada will be probably about 1 to 2 hours up the keys, depending on traffic. It is a two lane road in and out of the keys, so traffic makes a huge difference in travel times. If there is an accident that requires investigation, they shut down the road as the main investigation folks have to come from "the mainland" and they need to close the area in order to secure evidence. That is the one thing that I love to hate about the keys is that if you are trying to stick to a strict time schedule then you are better off stayin in one place.

If you have time to travel and see the sights then it's a great way to spend a day. If you do head to Islamorada, you HAVE to hit No Name Pub for lunch. It's on Big Pine Key and worth the hunt. :)

Whoa! I would not take the chance of getting in a traffic jam and not making it back to the ship. Chances are you would be fine but I would not try it. But then I am not one to take any more risks than I have to.

Archived