Freestyle dining

grammagrace

The meals in the main dining rooms, the buffet, the Blue Lagoon restaurant and room service are included in the price of the cruise. The specialty restaurants have a varying per person surcharge.

Do I have to pay for all my meals on board?

Only if you want to try the specialty restaurants. You can have great cruise without paying one extra cent for food. They are there to give you options.

All meals are "paid for" with the price of the cruise, however, WHERE you eat dinner matters as far as money.

There are certain restaurants, buffet, two dinning rooms, that are "free" or no charge. These are also generally the ones that are open for breakfast and lunch.

There are other restaurants, referred to as "specialty", that you have to pay a "cover charge" but can eat whatever and how much ever at. The cover charges range from $15-$30 a person. The restaurants are named differently based on the ship but are the Italian, Mexican, sushi, Teppanyaki, French and steak restaurants.

In addition, some "specialty" items like "surf and turf" also cost above the cover charge at a restaurant. For example, you may pay $30 to eat at the steak restaurant but have to pay an additional $10 for a very pricey dish, i.e. you have now paid $40.

It is confusing a bit but $30 for all you can eat of really nice food seems worth it once or twice on a cruise IMHO.

If you are lucky enough to have a suite, then you get to eat breakfast and lunch at the steak restaurant and have "nicer" menu items available.

Many people on the boards are upset with the above arrangement, many people are okay with it. MANY people are just fine eating the "free" food at the buffet and the two main sit-down restaurants.

It is up to you basically but you will be fed and have lots to choose from without forking out any additional money if you so choose.

My DH and I are going on the Sky in April. We are eating at the "free" restaurants or buffet. We will be ordering room service for coffee and pastrys in the morning.(free, just a small tip and maybe something later in the evening...cookies???) We will pay extra for any alcoholic drinks and one night we will order a bottle of wine with dinner.

Archived