Vaccines (Hepatitis)

embee22

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have Hepatitis shots. We're going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan. Most people seem to be very unconcerned but I also have heard a couple of people who knew of somebody who contracted Hepatitis.

There are three separate diseases called Hepatitis.

effective vaccines are available for Types A & B. IMHO, anyone who chooses not to be vaccinated .. unless there is a serious medical contraindication is crazy.

There is no vaccine for Type C but you do not need to worry about this one unless you get a blood transfusion, participate in unsafe sex with someone infected or are related to Dracula.

Although I don't think the risk of contracting Hepatitis is very great on a cruise, I agree that getting Hep A & B vaccinations is smart whether traveling or not, unless other health issues proscribe them.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have Hepatitis shots. We're going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan. Most people seem to be very unconcerned but I also have heard a couple of people who knew of somebody who contracted Hepatitis.

If you eat at resturants in the US or work in the healthcare industry, you should get Hep A/B vacinations. Cruising and/or traveling has nothing to do with it.

If you eat at resturants in the US or work in the healthcare industry, you should get Hep A/B vacinations. Cruising and/or traveling has nothing to do with it.

Agree completely. No mention of cruising or traveling in original response. :)

One of the Hepatisis vacinations is a series and takes nine months ... if I remember correctly.

Yep, takes about that long.

I don't have to worry as I have plenty of shots in me for all kinds of stuff. LOL (I work in a hospital)

Hep A is contracted thru the eating or drinking of contaminated fluids, anyone traveling should have a shot for Hep A and if you have a booster shot within a year of your first shot you are good for life. Hep B is more important to heath care worker who may be exposed to blood but but also those who have unprotected sex, exchange siliva with others, use the same needles with other drug addicts ....well you get the story. Hep A for sure...Hep B much less important for most of us.

http://www.hap.org/healthy_living/teenadult/hep-b.php

I should just add to my above post...please consult your doctor...do not rely on these boards for inoculation information. Your doctor knows your health situation and if he/she does not have the answer re shots that may advisable for certain countries will refer you to your local public health office or to a travel clinic who will be able to answer your questions.

One of the Hepatisis vacinations is a series and takes nine months ... if I remember correctly.

I have been talking w/ several medical people (nurses at travel clinics, pediatrician's nurse, etc) & reading a ton online & they say that you get temporary protection in 2-4 weeks. In order to get lifelong immunity you need a booster in 9-12 months.

I had my first Hep A jab in September and my booster jab yesterday. I was told I'd need another set in 20 years time.

I'll be cruising Belize, Cozumel and Grand Caymen in September and I asked the nurse to check them out, she said the Hep A jab will be sufficient provided I stay away from animals. My Tetanus jab from 5 years ago will also suffice. I said I may be doing a trip to visit the Howler Monkeys and she suggested Rabies and Typhoid jabs. I declined and promised to stay away from animals. I must point out that this advice was given in the UK, there may be different recommendations in the US.

Carol

Excellent and much appreciated information from everyone! Booster info really helpful. Thank You! :)

Our doctor suggest (strongly urged) ... In addition to the Tetanus and Hepatitis A & B (already have all of these) ... we get Typhoid Shots. Guess, it'll be "off to the Health Dept." for us .... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know anything about Typhoid Shots? :confused:

I said I may be doing a trip to visit the Howler Monkeys and she suggested Rabies and Typhoid jabs. I declined and promised to stay away from animals. I must point out that this advice was given in the UK, there may be different recommendations in the US.

Carol

Not sure why she would recommend typhoid because you'll be around animals. Typhoid is spread like Hep A - fecal matter to oral ingestion via water or contaminated foods (person to person, not animal to person). I keep going back & forth on the typhoid vaccine. It seems like everyone gets Hep shots; typhoid is spread the same way but no one really talks about that one much.

Does anyone know anything about Typhoid Shots? :confused:

I've been reading & reading the internet to learn about this stuff. You get just one typhoid shot. Problem is, it's not a 100% protection vaccine. Don't quote me on this but it's something like 60-75% likely you'll be protected after getting this vaccine so you still need to be careful w/ foods you eat while travelling. The vaccine is good for about 2 yrs.

I've been reading & reading the internet to learn about this stuff. You get just one typhoid shot. Problem is, it's not a 100% protection vaccine. Don't quote me on this but it's something like 60-75% likely you'll be protected after getting this vaccine so you still need to be careful w/ foods you eat while travelling. The vaccine is good for about 2 yrs.

Thanks!

Maybe because it's not 100% protective and only last for a couple of years, lots of people just don't do it? :confused:

Maybe because it's not 100% protective and only last for a couple of years, lots of people just don't do it? :confused:

Yea, I wish I knew. It could be that many people just don't research this stuff & don't know. DH & I are going around in circles trying to decide if our family needs this or not. We'll be in Belize & Guatemala next month & will likely be eating on our excursions there. Our 16 yr old suggested we just not eat but the excursions are LOOOONG & I don't think we could last that long (especially not the younger kids, even if I bring snacks). So I'm trying to figure out just how prevalent typhoid is in these countries ... there's a risk but is it high or low? The CDC web site does list it as a place recommended for the vaccine. But another site suggests getting it if you're there for extended periods, not a few hours. The fact that it's not 100% (you still need to be wary), the potential side effects, & the cost are what's making this a tough decision.

Not sure why she would recommend typhoid because you'll be around animals. Typhoid is spread like Hep A - fecal matter to oral ingestion via water or contaminated foods (person to person, not animal to person). I keep going back & forth on the typhoid vaccine. It seems like everyone gets Hep shots; typhoid is spread the same way but no one really talks about that one much.

You're quite right. She was referring to Rabies being prevalent. She did mention the typhoid jab but now I recall that she went on to advise me to be careful where and what I ate. If I do go on an excursion I'll be taking wrapped, non perishable items to snack on and carrying antibacterial hand gel and bottled water in my bag.

Carol

Think of it this way...

if you were to ever contract Hep A, Hep B or Typhoid Fever...

you would be thinking ...what the HE@@ was my problem..

why didn't I just do the shot????

Have a 1 on 1 with your doctor on what is best for you and your family.

We have a travel clinic through Kaiser and travel shots are their domain..and if they see the CDC recommends it they usually require it for their patients...UNLESS it's not medically compatible with their personal health issues.

and then they provide a letter stating that.

as some cruise itineraries will not allow you to board if you don't have your shots or a medical waiver from your doctor.

Think of it this way...

if you were to ever contract Hep A, Hep B or Typhoid Fever...

you would be thinking ...what the HE@@ was my problem..

why didn't I just do the shot????

Have a 1 on 1 with your doctor on what is best for you and your family.

We have a travel clinic through Kaiser and travel shots are their domain..and if they see the CDC recommends it they usually require it for their patients...UNLESS it's not medically compatible with their personal health issues.

and then they provide a letter stating that.

as some cruise itineraries will not allow you to board if you don't have your shots or a medical waiver from your doctor.

I agree with the advice to "have a 1 on 1 with your doctor."

The problem, though, is that the majority of Americans do not have a regular physician. You are lucky to have your medical coverage through Kaiser. When the revolution comes and I take over the country, the second order of business will be to to get everyone into an integrated staff-model HMO. the first order of business, btw, will be to require cruisecritic to improve their forum search software. :)

Larger cities will usually have a travel clinic. This can be an excellent resource not only for advice but they will often have the required "stuff" which, in some instances, can be a real PITA for a "regular" doctor to get her/his hands on.

It is always interesting and sometimes helpful to compare different recommendations. The health services of the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. all have excellent travel medicine presences on the web. When I am traveling to "interesting" and/or unusual places, I like to check all three.

Archived