Question of the week & service charge excuse of the week

Phyllis.. Please tell me they were discrete in advising him about his hat?

He was not convinced that freestyle was freestyle after his being uncomfortable on Celebrity, having to wear a suit and tie, so when we got to the hostess' desk he asked if he was dressed all right (long pants, polished loafers, collared shirt, nice leather black cap). She said "you're fine" and as we started to go in she added, "except the hat." That was when he turned around and we went to the buffet and I convinced him to remain hatless in the restaurant.

We have cruised NCL since that happens and he is comfortable without a hat.

And of course we know the etiquette rules. I think a whole cruise ship, with its air conditoning and constantly going inside and out just made him feel like it was all "out" and he might be okay. No excuses. Just relating what happened and his possible feelings.

That information about medieval times and the cowboy lifting his hat to show no weapon was under it were so interesting! Reminded me of why men shake hands, from tribal days. No, I won't repeat it here. Look it up.

I also found it soul searching to wonder if a man wearing a turban, or a person having undergone chemo who did not wear a wig, but a hat, would be asked to remove their head covering. Is a headscarf the same as a hat for a woman? So much to ponder.

I DO understand the sanitation regulations that would not allow anyone to put a head covering on the dining room table. A sun hat will not fit in a back pocket like a baseball cap will, so there is the dilemma on a ship of whether to try to keep it in your lap or on top of your purse (which you probably are not carrying onboard). Wonder if we'll see hat racks soon after NCL reads this thread.

And the poster who said, "must have been a fantastic cruise if a hat issue was the only thing that went wrong" is absolutely correct!

I grew up in the 50s when etiquette was followed (long gloves and all) strictly. As someone at our 50th high school reunion was quoted in a newspaper article said, "we lived between the lines." We were constantly charged with not offending anyone else. And this was in what we wore as well as our behavior.

Thanks for listening and participating in the thread ya'll.

A person was eating in the Liberty dining room one night and noticed someone a few tables over was wearing a hat. According to the dress code you may wear a hat if you want to. This passenger was so insulted/disgusted that someone was wearing a hat she removed the service charge!

IMO-this is further evidence that NCL should not allow removing the DSC for ANY reason. As long as it's allowed, some will find a reason to do it (even when none exists) and feel completely justified in doing so.

Archived