Question of the week & service charge excuse of the week

Hey everyone!

I'll have a new blog update on Saturday but I wanted to post the best question of the week and best service charge adjustment excuse of the week!

First let me say things are going very well on the ship and there are not nearly as many passengers coming up to us and talking about issues then when I was on last.

Ok the best question of the week: "I know this is a stupid sounding question but do you need to pay for the free food in Cadillac diner?"

Biggest "wow..." excuse to remove service charges of the week:

A person was eating in the Liberty dining room one night and noticed someone a few tables over was wearing a hat. According to the dress code you may wear a hat if you want to. This passenger was so insulted/disgusted that someone was wearing a hat she removed the service charge!

Anyway happy Friday everyone,

James

• Administrators

The phrase "looking for an excuse" comes to mind! :eek: That's the type of person who will look all confused and say "why me?" when they reap the karma they have earned!

Glad it's going well onboard, James, and that overall things seem improved, as well. :)

Hey everyone!

A person was eating in the Liberty dining room one night and noticed someone a few tables over was wearing a hat. According to the dress code you may wear a hat if you want to. This passenger was so insulted/disgusted that someone was wearing a hat she removed the service charge!

James

Things must really be getting much better on the PoAM. Clearly this is a person that planned to pull the service charge and the worst thing she could find was a passenger with a hat. ;)

Hey everyone!

I'll have a new blog update on Saturday but I wanted to post the best question of the week and best service charge adjustment excuse of the week!

First let me say things are going very well on the ship and there are not nearly as many passengers coming up to us and talking about issues then when I was on last.

Ok the best question of the week: "I know this is a stupid sounding question but do you need to pay for the free food in Cadillac diner?"

James

James, thanks for sharing, I love to hear these stories..

Nita

According to the dress code you may wear a hat if you want to.

Hi James. Glad it is going well on PofA. Is the hat rule exclusively for PofA or fleet wide? My husband was asked to remove his hat on our first NCL cruise in April (Majesty). Of course he was embarrassed and we left the line and went to the buffet instead. He is balding and his head gets very cold especially if he's sitting under an AC vent/duct. He had agreed to go on this cruise because of the dress up or not idea of freestyle (he'd hated Celebrity where he had to wear a suit!). I calmed him down by saying that I knew what he looked like without the hat, and I was the only person on the ship who knew him or would be looking at him. Believe it or not, it worked and he went hatless in restaurants from then on.

So, if there really is a fleetwide rule that you MAY wear a hat if you desire, I don't know if I should keep it from him.

Like the understanding of sandals/flip flops threads, is a hat a baseball cap, a panama hat, a bowler, etc. ha

Hi James. Glad it is going well on PofA. Is the hat rule exclusively for PofA or fleet wide? My husband was asked to remove his hat on our first NCL cruise in April (Majesty). Of course he was embarrassed and we left the line and went to the buffet instead. He is balding and his head gets very cold especially if he's sitting under an AC vent/duct. He had agreed to go on this cruise because of the dress up or not idea of freestyle (he'd hated Celebrity where he had to wear a suit!). I calmed him down by saying that I knew what he looked like without the hat, and I was the only person on the ship who knew him or would be looking at him. Believe it or not, it worked and he went hatless in restaurants from then on.

So, if there really is a fleetwide rule that you MAY wear a hat if you desire, I don't know if I should keep it from him.

Like the understanding of sandals/flip flops threads, is a hat a baseball cap, a panama hat, a bowler, etc. ha

I don’t think NCL dress code is specific about hats but the etiquette says that hats of any kind shouldn’t be worn at dinner. Personnally, I don’t care the least bit if someone keeps his hat in McDonald’s (and I’ve done so myself after bike rides when my hair was a mess) so I don’t mind if they keep it at the buffet or Blue Lagoon but the dinning room are to be compared to nice restaurants on land and most of those nice places won’t let someone wear a hat inside.

I’m glad your husband can now go hat free, being denied from dinning room has helped him overcome his fear to be seen with his balding head. DBF is also balding and wears a hat 95% of the time when not in the house. The 5% exceptions are at weddings or other ceremonies like that, in restaurants or if we are eating at someone else’s place. He used to keep his hat on in small eateries but now he removes it there too (at least when I’m with him) since he know that I don’t think wearing a hat at the dinning table is proper etiquette. Thinking about it, he started to remove it more and more as soon as he gets into someone’s house (but not in a mall or other public place).

We love the way they look with or without the hat, it’s all that should count.

Hey everyone!

James

Man! It takes all kinds doesn't it?

So many think what they think hat etiquette is, but many are so wrong. The rules are published in many men's magazines, Esquire has many times. The key lies with the host.

While many think its not okay to wear a hat inside for any reason, the host must provide accommodations for a hat. In other words if the accommodations are not provided, anyone can wear a hat inside anywhere.

Gone are the days that restaurants have hat and coat check ins. Gone are the days of many businesses and offices having hat racks. On a cruise ship there is no hat or coat check in, and there is no hat rack. While one can use a third chair to place your hat, its not proper to place a hat on a dining table. Many tables on cruise lines don't have an extra chair. Its not proper to steal a chair from the next table, therefore its up to the host to snatch the extra chair. The host.....

The rules exempt for example, allowing anyone wearing a hat inside any building in their lobby, halls, and elevators. This includes malls and hotel lobbies, or for example on cruise ships as well. All of the above are for the same reasons....its up to the host to provide accommodations for the hat.

A hat is an accessory item much like purses for women. It isn't proper for a women to place their purse on a dining table either. Umbrellas and canes fit into the same category, as well as walkers today. Umbrellas and canes and walkers are supposed to be laid up against a wall, table, or an extra chair out of the path of other diners and restaurant workers. The floor is never acceptable for a hat.

So many think what they think hat etiquette is, but many are so wrong. The rules are published in many men's magazines, Esquire has many times. The key lies with the host.

While many think its not okay to wear a hat inside for any reason, the host must provide accommodations for a hat. In other words if the accommodations are not provided, anyone can wear a hat inside anywhere.

Gone are the days that restaurants have hat and coat check ins. Gone are the days of many businesses and offices having hat racks. On a cruise ship there is no hat or coat check in, and there is no hat rack. While one can use a third chair to place your hat, its not proper to place a hat on a dining table. Many tables on cruise lines don't have an extra chair. Its not proper to steal a chair from the next table, therefore its up to the host to snatch the extra chair. The host.....

The rules exempt for example, allowing anyone wearing a hat inside any building in their lobby, halls, and elevators. This includes malls and hotel lobbies, or for example on cruise ships as well. All of the above are for the same reasons....its up to the host to provide accommodations for the hat.

A hat is an accessory item much like purses for women. It isn't proper for a women to place their purse on a dining table either. Umbrellas and canes fit into the same category, as well as walkers today. Umbrellas and canes and walkers are supposed to be laid up against a wall, table, or an extra chair out of the path of other diners and restaurant workers. The floor is never acceptable for a hat.

What a person "thinks" is etiquette is what they believe is good manners, based on what they have been taught. Be it by parents, teachers, or from a respected source of good etiquette. Me, I'm an Emily Post fan and Emily says a hat worn by a man in a restaurant is a no-no.

I'm sure there are other sources out there that disagree with that. Whose to judge who's right? It's a personal thing, I guess.

.........While many think its not okay to wear a hat inside for any reason, the host must provide accommodations for a hat. In other words if the accommodations are not provided, anyone can wear a hat inside anywhere..........

......Gone are the days that restaurants have hat and coat check ins. Gone are the days of many businesses and offices having hat racks.......

Yes, gone are the days that restaurants, etc. provided hat and coat racks. But also, gone are the days when men wore hats like this that required a proper place to "park them".

142.jpg

A VAST majority of the time it's a baseball cap in question (on cruises), which can be stuffed into a back pocket.:p

Phyllis.. Please tell me they where discrete in advising him about his hat?

While I am one of those who would have no problem with someone wearing a hat into a main dining room, I will post what is from the Emily Post website. To me, she always was the Grand Dame of manners and ettiguette. I do want to say that I rarely have issue with what someone wears to the dining room as long as it and they are clean, every thing is covered up that I don't want to look at and they don't look and smell like they just came from the pool. Phyllis you guys can eat with us at our table anytime.. hat or no hat.. 8-)

Basically, hats are removed when going indoors as a measure of respect. Therefore, caps and hats should be removed when entering a home (which includes while eating at the table), when entering a place of religion, or when going to a restaurant. When entering a store or other "public area" like a train station, the hat or cap may remain on. This applies to baseball caps worn by men or women. Hats and caps are always removed for the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem.

Women's hats that are part of their ensembles and therefore fashion accessories may be worn indoors, including at a restaurant table, etc. If they are large-brimmed, they should be removed in a theater or other place where they block the vision of the person behind. Aside from garden parties and formal teas where hats are often left on, women generally remove their hats when dinning in someone's home.

The guidelines for wearing of hats by men and women are still an important part of our manners today. Hat traditions and manners may have originated in medieval times when knights lifted their face guard to show who they were, or in the days of the cowboys when a hat was lifted and removed to show there was no weapon hidden underneath. It became a sign of respect to others that has always remained.

Phyllis.. Please tell me they where discrete in advising him about his hat?

While I am one of those who would have no problem with someone wearing a hat into a main dining room, I will post what is from the Emily Post website. To me, she always was the Grand Dame of manners and ettiguette. I do want to say that I rarely have issue with what someone wears to the dining room as long as it and they are clean, every thing is covered up that I don't want to look at and they don't look and smell like they just came from the pool. Phyllis you guys can eat with us at our table anytime.. hat or no hat.. 8-)

Basically, hats are removed when going indoors as a measure of respect. Therefore, caps and hats should be removed when entering a home (which includes while eating at the table), when entering a place of religion, or when going to a restaurant. When entering a store or other "public area" like a train station, the hat or cap may remain on. This applies to baseball caps worn by men or women. Hats and caps are always removed for the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem.

Women's hats that are part of their ensembles and therefore fashion accessories may be worn indoors, including at a restaurant table, etc. If they are large-brimmed, they should be removed in a theater or other place where they block the vision of the person behind. Aside from garden parties and formal teas where hats are often left on, women generally remove their hats when dinning in someone's home.

The guidelines for wearing of hats by men and women are still an important part of our manners today. Hat traditions and manners may have originated in medieval times when knights lifted their face guard to show who they were, or in the days of the cowboys when a hat was lifted and removed to show there was no weapon hidden underneath. It became a sign of respect to others that has always remained.

this is all fine and dandy,

but the fact of the matter is

some of us men may be losing some hair and want to "cover up":p

I think if the hat is worn specifically for dinner and is kept clean, there should not be a problem, now if it looks like I just came of the baseball field, then ya complain if need be,

woman that keep their big frilly hats on during the Kentucky derby, or any other race, now that gets me hot, pay good money for seats and can't see a thing

Maybe, the person that have the hat on is having chemotherapy and want to cover her head.

I volunteer at our med. ctr. gift shop. A lady who is having treatments asked me this week if we have hats because some people are mean. They make fun of her because she doesn't have much hair left.

Maybe the person was eating a Kosher meal. Does "Emily Post" object to a person of the Sikh faith wearing his turban, too (when he's not supposed to appear in public with his hair uncovered)?

But a ball-cap advertising Hooters is pretty tacky at a formal dinner.

Maybe, the person that have the hat on is having chemotherapy and want to cover her head.

I volunteer at our med. ctr. gift shop. A lady who is having treatments asked me this week if we have hats because some people are mean. They make fun of her because she doesn't have much hair left.

that is not mean that is downright NASTY.

Here in the Uk we have a young (27 year old) "celebrity" and mother of 2 young boys currently going through a very traumatic time with her cancer. She has raised a lot of awareness of these types of issues and that will be her legacy.

Jean

Amazing! Did one hat mean removing DSC for the entire cruise?!

I normally don't think about what others are wearing AT ALL, but this thread put it in my mind last night. We were at a rather nice restaurant and out of the 7 tables that I could see in my direct line of sight, 4 tables had men wearing hats! It seems our culture has evolved to make this the norm - based on very little research, of course. ;) One, was a cowboy hat, one a golf cap, one a baseball cap, and one a hunting cap (looked like a baseball cap but with a sort of camo print).

We wondered if we should still tip our waitress. :confused: It did seem odd in such a nice place, but I still managed to enjoy my meal. :rolleyes:

Archived